PDA

View Full Version : Countdown to Big Shoulders!

Meli
September 4th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Woohoo! I can't wait, I've practically got my bag packed! I was really hoping to do well this year, but due to a family crisis, I've basically been out of the pool for the past 2 weeks. Sigh. Now I'm just going out there to have a good time. I have to admit that it stings a little to not have it be the race I wanted it to be, but family does occasionally have to come first. (I swear, my little brother owes me BIG for this one.) As long as I'm not last, I'll be happy.

So.... who's willing to be the last one in so that it's not me? Any takers?

Anyone else excited about taking on the windy city?

fatboy
September 4th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Melissa,

I'm looking forward to Big Shoulders too! I am swimming the 2.5k for the second year. Last year I was just glad to finish. It was a bonus that I wasn't last - but I was close! Hoping to do a little better this year.

Don't worry about missing a few workouts, just think of it as your taper. Have fun and good luck!

running2far
September 7th, 2005, 05:17 PM
I'm fired up for Big Shoulders...Was down at Ohio Street Beach on Monday for a nice swim. The water was perfect!!!!!!

This will be my first open water event...Hoping to finish the short course around 50 mins.

I swam 1.5 miles in the pool at 44 mins but about 200 yds into a Lake Mich. swim and I know I will not be any where near that time...

running2far
September 9th, 2005, 12:42 PM
We're expecting 90 degrees tomorrow and sunny skies....

fatboy
September 11th, 2005, 11:33 PM
running2far, you called it. Could not have been a better day for the Big Shoulders swim.

I had fun, met some great people, and was happy with my swim - nice drop in my time this year compared to last year.

Here's some links to the results

http://www.doitsports.com/newresults3/client/11806_130691_2005.htm

http://www.doitsports.com/newresults3/client/11806_130695_2005.htm

http://www.doitsports.com/newresults3/client/11806_130690_2005.htm

http://www.doitsports.com/newresults3/client/11806_130696_2005.htm

knelson
September 12th, 2005, 12:02 AM
I had a good time! It was a little wavier than I expected, but can't complain. With the start done in waves it was difficult to know where you placed, but it certainly made for a less frantic start. I was pretty excited to see I was 4th overall!

running2far
September 12th, 2005, 12:19 PM
I had a pretty good swim...My sighting is sooooo bad. The highlight of the race was my face plant running to the timing mat.

I felt like a goof, couldn't feel my legs but decided to sprint...my friends said about 1 out every 5-6 fell coming out of the water.

Someone did a barrell roll racing a friend to the mat....good stuff.

Next year its the 5K for ME!!!!

running2far
September 13th, 2005, 05:08 PM
This was taken from the Big Shoulers write up at their website...I can't imagine all butterfly...

In the sheer torture department, Tom Boettcher completed his seventh consecutive Big Shoulders all butterfly. In going toe to toe with Lance Armstrong’s seven Tour de France wins, Big Shoulders fixture Boettcher answered one of the typical pre-race questions – is the “fly guy” back again this year? One man was heard commenting “My God, he looks just like a porpoise. Its rhythmic, its beautiful.” French bicycling officials attended the race to test Boettcher for porpoise extract, but apparently his urine sample was dispensed somewhere along the second lap. Big Shoulders sponsor HumanLabs affixed some strange monitoring device to Boettcher’s head, but his general body feedback one day after the race was, “I feel like I’ve been hit with the Michigan Ave. 147 bus.” Consistency was the order of the day, as Dan Projansky came back for his second year of a butterfly performance. His training regimen is incorporated into the great coaching job he does up in Evanston, encouraging others to take on the butterfly.

Janswimson
September 16th, 2005, 08:08 PM
This was my first open water race ever! I did the short course & finished at 56:11. Felt glad to finish because I got panicky at the start. I got pinned between 2 swimmers & a big guy almost swam over me. I got kicked & hit so many times I wondered if people look at all where they're going! The seaweed kinda freaked me out too.

But after all is said & done I really enjoyed it & want to improve next year. Any tips would greatly be appreciated! People have told me to start in the back of the pack & stay over to the right. I'll definitely try that. I've heard that you get used to swimming with lots of people like that & nothing serious can really happen.

Any feedback?

etrain
September 19th, 2005, 09:56 AM
If you are not a strong swimmer then staying behind the pack is probably a good idea. I like to make sure there is a little distance between me and other people but this year I started up front so I wouldn't have to pass everyone in my wave. It sort of worked until I met up with the yellow cappers on the last leg on the first time around...

etrain

running2far
March 21st, 2006, 02:46 PM
Big Shoulders 2006 is set for Saturday, September 9, 2006 at 8 a.m.
at Ohio Street Beach in Chicago.
This year the 5K distance is a USMS National Championship! Please
note only full year USMS members qualify for USMS National
Championship Awards.
As with year's past, we are also offering the 2.5K distance.

You can register now by logging on to wwww.signmeup.com/bigshoulders.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email confirming your
registration. Please make sure you have registered for the correct
distance, age, gender, wetsuit or not, etc.

craiglll@yahoo.com
March 22nd, 2006, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Meli
Woohoo! I can't wait, I've practically got my bag packed! I was really hoping to do well this year, but due to a family crisis, I've basically been out of the pool for the past 2 weeks. Sigh. Now I'm just going out there to have a good time. I have to admit that it stings a little to not have it be the race I wanted it to be, but family does occasionally have to come first. (I swear, my little brother owes me BIG for this one.) As long as I'm not last, I'll be happy.

So.... who's willing to be the last one in so that it's not me? Any takers?

Anyone else excited about taking on the windy city?

Meli,

I'm planning on being in Denver JUne 20 through the 26. I am interested in the Mile High, 1 Mile meet that week end. It will be fun.

I've always collected money for Big Shouldersbut never been able toswim it. I'm hoping that no one I know dies. Three years in a row, I've had some one die shortly before the swim