PDA

View Full Version : Swim Suits, Swim Paddles and Tapers



A.K.
September 7th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Looking for opinions on the benefits on using swim paddles and what type.

Also lookng for opinions on the variety of swimsuits ie. Trainer/brief/legskins etc.. Are they really all that much better?

Also taper styles- I've been swimming regulary since 7/1/05 for a meet on 11/5/05. I swim in surf baggies-good drag.
I started out out 500 yds 1st month 1500 2nd month and am now doing 2000-2600yds half of it kicking. Just started sets 4X50 on 1 minute of free/breast/back. Weights 2-4 times a week. The pool is a BALLYS 25YD pool loaded with noodle clingers-atleast they are not in the lap area.

Thanks and I look forward to your input.

USMSarah
September 8th, 2005, 09:15 AM
I really wouldn't reccommend paddles at this time in your training... you have recently become a swimmer and I would wait a little bit more before you try using them. I stopped using them in college because I believe that they assisted in tearing up my shoulders. If you do choose to get a set, get a paddle that fits your weight category (do not feel like a macho man and get HUGE ones, you're just asking for it), and don't get too small of a paddle, if your fingers go over the edge, it is too little. There are so many paddles out there, it really is a personal choice. Whatever you do, do not wear them during your warm-up... it is such a pet peeve of mine! BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR SHOULDERS!!!

With regular training suits, go with what you are comfortable with. I think the "standard" for competitive swimmers is usually like a speedo brief w/ a drag suit. Jammers have been very popular over the years (for those guys who want more coverage).

Now, when you buy a fast suit... they are extremely, extremely expensive. The top two brands are Speedo and TYR. Personally, I have mostly only used Speedo. These are only to be used for championship meets, but there are still a lot of swimmers who will wear them at regular meets (dual, invitationals, etc). They only last so long. BUT, if you have a ton of money to burn... knock yourself out. If you are a breastroker, a leg suit may not be a good option, I think you lose a lot of grab on your kick when your entire leg is covered with a suit.

My best advice to you is to go to your local swim shop... good luck and happy swimming!

:cool:

newmastersswimmer
September 8th, 2005, 09:37 AM
In addition to waht Sarah said, I also like to use red zoomers (which are like half fins more or less?) when I do kick sets....but some would argue that it is better to go without any kind of fins at all for kick sets. I personally like using paddles and pull buoy during certain select parts of practice....when I use them though, I make sure to really stretch my stroke out and go for the most distance per stroke possible.....never swim butterfly with paddles....never try and sprint (with a high turnover rate) while using paddles....like Sarah said, Paddles can be potentially dangerous to your shoulders....thats why I limit myself to only small parts of practice where I wear them (maybe 1000 meters total for a 4500 - 5000 meter practice)....so at most 20 - 25% of your practice with paddles and pull buoy....but also like Sarah said, you want to gradually build up to that eventually....right now (untill your swimming 2500 - 3000 or more) I would just skip the paddles all together. Paddles can help with your stroke eventually though IMHO if used correctly.


Newmastersswimmer

knelson
September 8th, 2005, 10:45 AM
This is totally my own opinion with no supporting evidence, but I would suggest losing the surf shorts and go with a trainer or briefs even during practice. The shorts are just too much drag and probably affect your body position in the water. My suggestion is to buy a polyester mesh trainer. These things last forever. I've had both TYR and Speedo and they're both good.

I personally love using paddles, but they can definitely be a crutch. I can hold a pace a few seconds faster per 100 with paddles on. I've used the Strokemaker blue paddles since college. They have an even bigger size, but the blue seem plenty big.

waves101
September 8th, 2005, 11:13 AM
I agree with the responses you've rec'd but would like to address your taper. If you want a true taper, I'd cut out the weights three weeks before your competition. Weights are extremely hard on the muscles and as masters swimmers it takes alot longer to recover. You can always go right back to the weights after the meet.

scyfreestyler
September 8th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by knelson
I can hold a pace a few seconds faster per 100 with paddles on.

I am not trying to pick a fight here but what difference does it make if you can hold a faster interval with paddles? Is it just for your own satisfaction? I don't see any real training value in the faster interval if you are using a crutch to obtain it.

knelson
September 8th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by 330man
I am not trying to pick a fight here but what difference does it make if you can hold a faster interval with paddles? Is it just for your own satisfaction? I don't see any real training value in the faster interval if you are using a crutch to obtain it.

Well, for one thing you can get the feel for swimming at that speed without the associated amount of effort. Whether this is worth anything, I don't know. The bottom line is I like the feel of my stroke when I pull and that gives me confidence.

scyfreestyler
September 8th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by knelson
Well, for one thing you can get the feel for swimming at that speed without the associated amount of effort. Whether this is worth anything, I don't know. The bottom line is I like the feel of my stroke when I pull and that gives me confidence.
I gotcha Kirk. I guess some people use fins for the same reason, to get the feeling of swimming fast.

A.K.
September 21st, 2005, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by knelson
This is totally my own opinion with no supporting evidence, but I would suggest losing the surf shorts and go with a trainer or briefs even during practice. The shorts are just too much drag and probably affect your body position in the water. My suggestion is to buy a polyester mesh trainer. These things last forever. I've had both TYR and Speedo and they're both good.

I personally love using paddles, but they can definitely be a crutch. I can hold a pace a few seconds faster per 100 with paddles on. I've used the Strokemaker blue paddles since college. They have an even bigger size, but the blue seem plenty big.

Lost the surf baggies- big time difference 4X50 on 1 min. holding 37 sec. with the last 50 at 34 sec. strong not fast sprint.

Went with smaller paddles and they are working fine.