PDA

View Full Version : Southern Masters Dixie Zone SCM Championships

tjburk
September 8th, 2005, 09:56 AM
I had a lot of fun at the Southern Masters Long Course Championships in Aug and I was really looking forward to trying to make this meet at the beginning of Dec. Does anybody know if they are going to try and move this meet somewhere else?

jerry clark
September 8th, 2005, 01:07 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Dixie Zone SCM championship is in December in Marietta Georgia. Jerry

Rob Copeland
September 9th, 2005, 08:40 AM
This from our friends in the Southern LMSC:

I haven't been keeping up with e-mail, I've had to go to my house.

There are almost unlimited needs. The situation in Mississippi is somewhat different than Louisiana, both have total devastation is many areas. In New Orleans, for instance, they are still evacuating and rescuing people. In Louisiana and Mississippi many homes were literally leveled (including Dave Miner's in Bay St. Louis) leaving thousands homeless. Many others are displaced, I'm in Lafayette and the offer of a place to swim is the best news I've had in two weeks. Many areas are still without power or phones so communication with our members will be difficult.

On a large scale, maybe some sort of nationwide fund raising swim?
Locally, waive dues for next year? Swimmers have fertile minds I know what is done will be greatly appreciated.

I talked to Dave Miner today, as I mentioned his house in Bay St Louis is gone. His primary residence in Metairie still has water in it. We are going to meet Friday in Baton Rouge to decide what to do with the Long Course Meet and see if we can come up with an alternative site. LSU is questionable the PMAC (I know you Know what that is) is the triage center for the victims; they have cancelled two home LSU football games!

It's hard to keep up with all the e-mails, bear with me for a couple weeks or so. Thanks for everyone's interest, the situation on the gulf coast and New Orleans is worse than you can imagine.

The problems:
1. Only about 2/3 of members have emails;
2. I doubt everyone is regularly reading emails (although some displaced persons indeed are).

One notable absence: I (nor, to my knowledge, anyone else) have not heard from the meet director, John Roth, who had organized the December zone meet.

conradical
September 9th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Rob Copeland
One notable absence: I (nor, to my knowledge, anyone else) have not heard from the meet director, John Roth, who had organized the December zone meet.
John Roth has been located and survived the storm OK.

Attempts are being made to reschedule/relocate the SoLMSC 05 SCM championships in our region, and keep it as host for the Dixie Zone SCM Championships.

conradical
September 10th, 2005, 08:34 AM
this just in from Dave Miner, the SoLMSC chairman:

"We will make a determination on Wednesday regarding the zone meet."

i'm assuming this is Sep. 14th