PDA

View Full Version : 432 Olympic-sized pools per hour

knelson
September 8th, 2005, 05:34 PM
I read this on CNN:

Army Corps of Engineers pumping 432 Olympic-sized swimming pools of water per hour

(CNN) -- The Army Corps of Engineers said Thursday that 37 of the 174 permanent pumps around New Orleans are operational, pumping about 11,000 cubic feet of water per second.

"That's roughly equal to 432 Olympic-sized swimming pools every hour," corps spokesman Dan Hitchings told reporters

OK, knowing how the term "Olympic-sized pool" is butchered I just had to do a quick calculation. So, if the average Olympic-sized pool is 50m x 25m x 2m deep that's 2500m^3 or 88,000 ft^3. These pumps are moving 39.6x10^6 cubic feet of water per hour, so divide and we get 450 Olympic-sized pools. Pretty darn close!

My conclusion is Dan Hitchings must be a swimmer :)

Sam Perry
September 8th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Just an observation, but do any of you ever notice how liberally "Olympic Sized Pool" is used? I can't tell you how many clubs, hotels, etc. say they have an "Olympic Sized Pool" and whe I show up it is 2 lanes and 22 1/3 yards long or some ridiculous measurement! Very frustrating sometimes...

knelson
September 8th, 2005, 07:00 PM
My point exactly, Sam. That's why I had to crunch the number on this. I was actually surprised that, yes, in fact they are draining about 450 Olympic-sized pools per hour from New Orleans.

aquageek
September 8th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by knelson
I read this on CNN:

OK, knowing how the term "Olympic-sized pool" is butchered I just had to do a quick calculation. So, if the average Olympic-sized pool is 50m x 25m x 2m deep that's 2500m^3 or 88,000 ft^3. These pumps are moving 39.6x10^6 cubic feet of water per hour, so divide and we get 450 Olympic-sized pools. Pretty darn close!

My conclusion is Dan Hitchings must be a swimmer :)

I have trouble comprehending what a cubic foot of water is. Since you have the math aptitude, how many gallons would that be?

scyfreestyler
September 8th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by aquageek
I have trouble comprehending what a cubic foot of water is. Since you have the math aptitude, how many gallons would that be? 7.48 gallons per cubic foot.

gull
September 9th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Actually if you convert it to 12 packs, Geek will understand it better.

newmastersswimmer
September 9th, 2005, 08:41 AM
originally posted by Gull80

Actually if you convert it to 12 packs, Geek will understand it better.

Probably even better for Geek if we convert it to the number of 40's in a cubic foot....(as in 40 oz St Ives or 40 oz Malt Liquor)

Newmastersswimmer

aquageek
September 9th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Boy, aren't you two funny.

I actually prefer the double deuce of Schlitz Malt Liquor.

knelson
September 9th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by aquageek
Boy, aren't you two funny.

I actually prefer the double deuce of Schlitz Malt Liquor.

With a Skoal chaser. I mean, you do live in North Carolina and all.

newmastersswimmer
September 9th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Actually I was thinking more along the lines of coppenhagen as a chaser....Skoal is for wimps!

Newmastersswimmer

aquageek
September 9th, 2005, 03:24 PM
I will admit to trying Coppenhagen once, in 8th grade, with very predictable results.

newmastersswimmer
September 9th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Yo Farney....what ever happened to Magnus Von Blowfish? (or whatever you use to call yourself??).....Are you ever going to be brave enough to reveal the true identity behind the aquageek mask??.....Come out into the light so that we can all see who you really are.....(unless of course you would rather not...which is cool too I suppose).

Newmastersswimmer (AKA as Bork, Jim Borkowski, a dreadful nickname I don't want to repeat "again" on this forum, and OTEW in some ultra geeky circles I occaissionally visit from time to time).

Peter Cruise
September 9th, 2005, 07:59 PM
I thought that the Geek would be drinking something from a backwoods still...something that wouldn't bear close examination by public health authorities...

swimr4life
September 9th, 2005, 11:40 PM
Aquageek,

Are we related?(Your new "name" Farney MCGEE)

Beth McGee ;)

gull
September 10th, 2005, 10:45 AM
C'mon, Beth--you know everyone in the South is related.

By the way, you know you're swimming in the South when in the locker room you hear someone complaining because he had to go on a three hour cruise with his wife and missed a NASCAR race.

Kirk, nice touch with "and all." Maybe we can make a Southerner out of you.

Sam Perry
September 10th, 2005, 01:56 PM
If your family tree has only one branch... You might be a redneck!

newmastersswimmer
September 11th, 2005, 10:56 AM
originally posted by Sam Perry

If your family tree has only one branch... You might be a redneck!

How about: If you send your wife out for some more 40's while you're changing the tires on the house....then you might be a redneck.

Newmastersswimmer