PDA

View Full Version : 5/10 K Postal closing date

strong440
September 8th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Who's to say if the closing swimming date is September 15 as on the entry form or September 30, as stated in the margins of the calendar? In past years it has always been the 30th. Any reason for suggesting a change to the 15th? What USMS body has the authority?

Swimmer Bill
September 8th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Hi Doug,

The USMS Long Distance Committee makes these decisions, and I believe that one was made last year at the convention.

As I recall, the change in the 5K/10K schedule was part of a larger proposal involving the schedule of the 3000/6000 yard postal.

The deadline for the 3000/6000 was pushed to a later date to allow participation from swimmers who join USMS during the new registration period. Prior to the change, new swimmers who wanted to participate in the 3000/6000 needed to register for the current year, and then re-register for the next year just a couple months later. The committee wanted to encourage new swimmers to participate without requiring them to spend the money to register twice within a couple months.

When the committee was discussing the 5K/10K, it was also decided to have just a little lapse between the end of the 5K/10K and the beginning of the 3000/6000 yard postal. Even with the change, the 5K/10K participation period is the longest of any long distance national championship event: May 15-September 15...that's 4 months! Certainly, that should be enough time.

Personally, I'm glad they made the changes. I first suggested the idea about changing the 3000/6000 deadline to the previous USMS Long Distance Committee chair in 1998. At that time, I was coaching some young swimmers who were new to Masters. They wanted to do the 3000/6000, but couldn't afford to register for USMS in September and then re-register a couple months later for the following year.

Bill

strong440
September 9th, 2005, 08:24 PM
So be it! But still, at this moment the Calendar of Events has the dates listed as 5/15/2005-9/30/2005 three times, once each under the headings of Championships, Dixie Zone, and Postals. What about those of us who have always made plans to swim it the last weekend of September, and haven't had any reason to suppose they wouldn't be able to do so this year?

But, thanks for the speedy reply.

Swimmer Bill
September 10th, 2005, 11:38 AM
I will notify the calendar coordinator, the Long Distance Chair, and the event directors and ask them to respond to that question about the two different dates that have been publicized.

~SB

strong440
September 10th, 2005, 08:59 PM
1. I can't believe that I spelled thanx with a ks yesterday!
2. The celerity of the switch in the margins of the date from 9/30/05 to 9/15/05 was frighteningly fast.
3. Maybe I'll have other questions later, but I've got other things I have to do now.

strong440
September 18th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Well, I said I'd have more questions later, and I do have. Like, is not the really important deadline the 1st of October that for the entry form and fees?

I also had a few other things to say, including why the postponment of mentioning them until now, a week later. The order won't seem to have any importance but all are significant.

As for the plan for later in the month, the reason was that I had planned, and had needed surgery for a hernia on August 23, as early as possible after the Long Course Nationals in Mission Viejo, and needed all the recovery time possible.

My surgeon nixed any thought of the team's effort on Sept. 11th for me, but, later, his nurse okayed my promise to swim the 100 times fifty meter lengths on the 15th if I promised to take 200 minutes in the doing. It took a lot of time and trouble to get permission and a lifeguard, etc. to swim it on the 15th, but there I was at 4:25 pm, during a light rain. All went well for the first 2000 meters but my right calf, responding to a challange, I guess, from a youngster in the next lane began to cramp so badly that I had to stop and deal with it before continuing! Continue I did after a couple of stops and a couple pints of water, until I had gone 2500, but it became apparent that I would not be able to finish by the 7:00 I had promised the guard before she had agreed to stay. So much for that!

My delay in writing included a flight to Chicago Heights for attendance at a funeral for a dear friend.

It's not that I need any more medals or patches, but my team counts on the points, both individual and relay, that my swim would bring. (And consider that in 1972, at the first Masters Long Course Championships the University of Chicago mens team was the winner by one point over our team (Indiana University's Gatorade Masters), which hosted the meet! As Doc Counsilman said at the time,!!! But enough...