PDA

View Full Version : A Case for Skinny Dippin

clyde hedlund
September 13th, 2005, 05:07 PM
In open ocean swims, you better be aware of "Seabathers Eruptions," which for the first time our family experienced this past weekend. The bloody swimsuit will catch all kinds of stingy vermin that will haunt you for weeks. Welts all over the body where the swim suit covered. If you are a victim in the water, it is best to remove your suit in the salt water and rinse off there completely. Then take your freshwater shower, Zyrtec Chewable, and Triamcinolone. Even the school my daughter goes to got excited, so I had to have the Dermatologist send a letter that it wasn't contagious. Throw that swimsuit away, for the dead vermins can still sting and it is hard to wash away. Swim naked from now on in the ocean. clyde

DianaC
September 13th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Hi Clyde - I know exactly what you are talking about! That happened to me during the Sunfest Swim in Ocean City, MD. I felt the little buggers go in right when I started swimming, so it would have been a long 5K nekkid! At first, I thought it was sand, but found out when I finished that it was more than sand, or else sand and other little vermin mixed in and ground up.

I too went to my doc. He gave me antibiotics and antihistimines, since he wasn't a dermo and didn't know exactly what it was. I kept my suit and washed it in the machine a couple of times, and it was ok.

Man, it was a bummer though - fun swim, but those little stinging whatever-they-were were not fun at all!

The Sunfest swim was canceled this year - bummer! But I was really trying to get an idea of what to do to prevent this. I was considering getting a high-neck suit, so they hopefully they wouldn't go down the front, where I have ... um... lots of room. No one else I talked to had the problem at the swim last year, so I guess it's just something about me and they way my suit fit.

I hope your daughter is feeling better soon.

Diana

laineybug
September 13th, 2005, 07:48 PM
I had a small jelly wash right down the top of my suit once from a wave breaking right on me. Not fun at all.

Lainey

Swimmy
September 15th, 2005, 04:35 PM
You all are scaring me! I have a bay race Saturday! Now I am going to worry about jelly fish in my suit!

clyde hedlund
October 6th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Right on Mathew Fox. Prevent them eruptions from happening in Hawaiian waters. Although the bumps have dissappeared, the marks are still visible on my kid.

Sabretooth Tiger
October 6th, 2005, 02:03 PM
I have been swimming and surfing in the Pacific Ocean off of California, Mexico and Hawaii for about 35 of my 49 years and have never experienced anything that you guys are talking about. I figured it must be an east coast issue until I read Clyde's comments.

Where the heck are you guys swimming?

Not that I mind swimming naked . . . kinda like it . . . just nothing "skinny" about it.

Maybe we should start "naked" divisions in the 2006 ocean race seasons? Lock up the kids and avert the eyes, there's a race on!

carl

F'ueco
October 6th, 2005, 02:31 PM
A Speedo is naked enough, is it not?

clyde hedlund
October 6th, 2005, 04:27 PM
The incident happened in Kaneohe Bay, where we have swum a million times and years w/o problems. However, new invasive seaweed and creatures are always being introduced everyday. So you never know.

When not skinnydippin, I wear Speedo's all the time, for they usually stay on when body surfing, but make sure they are good and tight or else you'll bring home half the beach (sand) when you get home. clyde

Sabretooth Tiger
October 6th, 2005, 05:34 PM
I did some training in August by swimming back and forth between Kailua and Flat Island while my wife and son kayaked. I guess I'm glad we didn't go up to Kaneohe. Maybe the critters are a secret weapon being tested by the Marines?

rash free dude

clyde hedlund
October 7th, 2005, 05:43 PM
A long time ago, I use to swim that Flat Island run, but the water wasn't very clear, so I switched to Makpuu where perhaps the greatest real Rough Water swim race use to held. I don't know too much about the Marines, but they do have some of the best beaches on the island surrounding their peninsula. Their N. Beach has a crushing surfbreak and strong current to test your swimming skills out. And Great views beneath the surface, swimming out to Turtle Rock near Pyrimid Pt. take care, clyde