PDA

View Full Version : Leisel Jones's breaststoke

cinc3100
September 18th, 2005, 01:34 AM
Leisel Jones has a more flatter non-wave style breaststoke. This style isn't advocated yet Jones won both beaststrokes at worlds and is now the holder of the women's 200 meter breaststroke.
Is does anyone support her style of breaststroke out there.

breastroker
September 19th, 2005, 10:03 PM
She is changing her style ever so slightly from the 2004 Olympics to present. She is pressing her chest down more so that her head is lower and her hips higher. Those are good changes.

There is nothing wrong with a flatter style, huge undulations is just wrong.:rolleyes:

scyfreestyler
September 23rd, 2005, 01:50 PM
I am not a breaststroker but the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Undulating up and down only increases the distance you must travel.

Allen Stark
October 2nd, 2005, 06:52 PM
I think the trend in breaststroke is to flater,just as it is in fly.Kitajima was not as flat at Worlds as at the Olympics and he was slower.Hansen was flater and would have been faster than last year at Trials if he had timed his turns and finish better.What surprises me most about Jones is how far she is pulling her arms back. She,and to a lesser extent the other Aussie women,are pulling their arm back notably further than the top men.I wonder if this is a peculiarity of hers that the others are copying,or is it a good idea? Interestingly,it seemed to me she didn't pull quite as far back this year as last and she was faster this year.

mattson
October 3rd, 2005, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by 330man
I am not a breaststroker but the shortest distance between two points is a straight line.

But is it the fastest distance? You need to also consider if undulating gives you enough extra speed to offset any extra up and down motion.

swiminton
October 11th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by mattson
But is it the fastest distance? You need to also consider if undulating gives you enough extra speed to offset any extra up and down motion.

I agree with mattson that the shorter line is not necessarily the faster line. This is simply because you are against more resistance going through in water than going over water.

I don't necessarily think flatter is better either. If you swim wave breaststroke, you also get momentum by coming out of water and lunge forward. The key is to lunge FORWARD not DOWN.

If you keep yourself flat in the water, there is more drag resistance and you use more energy. But obviously Jones is doing very well. Perhaps she is Superwoman. :)

Another difference is the amount of power you generate from your feet that allows you to glide more underwater. How fast you can travel underwater is more important than how flat or how undulating you are. I think Jones broke the world record in World Champs not because she is flatter but because she is gliding better. If you look at the Olympics finals where she was caught up by Beard, she was rushing her strokes toward the end and wasn't gliding as long.

Another person I'd like to point to is Jessica Hardy. She swims the undulating wave breaststroke with very fast stroke rate. She is faster than Jones in the first 75. She was only caught up by Jones because she was tired in the last 25 and could not keep the same stroke rate. I think she would be faster if she glides slightly longer.

I personally prefer the undulating wave breaststroke than the flat one simply because it's easier and faster for timing and streamlining. Let me tell you it is DIFFICULT to swim flat breaststroke. More tiring and harder to get hands in front. I just recently switched to the wave style.

The problem with wave breaststroke is that it's much easier to forget the importance of gliding. One can easily get into a habit of simply focusing on undulating, and nothing else.

scyfreestyler
October 13th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Three words...SEND-IT-FORWARD

Obviously a certain amount of undulation is required in any short axis stroke but minimizing that undulation will allow you to spend less time going up and down and more time going forward. Send it Forward. Head on over to GoSwim and check out the video clips of Dave Denniston for clarification.