PDA

View Full Version : Speedo stroke counter watch

mathiasjohnson
September 18th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Does anyone have experience with this watch? I would like to have a watch that calculates split times, armstrokes, etc. Preferably automatically, but I suppose you have to press the buttons yourself every second turn.

As I live in Sweden, I haven't been able to find a site that ships to Europe. Anyone know where I can buy it in Europe?

Are there possibly any better watches or aids?

Thanks.

PeirsolFan
September 19th, 2005, 05:09 AM
www.speedo.com

That's the international site. I clicked on "contact us" and pulled up the information for Sweden:

Speedo Northern Europe
Box 487, 191 24 Sollentuna
SWEDEN
Email: tskoglosa@pentland.com
Telephone: +46 8 594 770 71

Also listed:
Email: nalves@pentland.com
jtuominen@pentland.com
Telephone: +47 23 12 05 26

Please let us know if you get ahold of them and the watch! :)

mathiasjohnson
September 19th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the phone number. I called, but they didn't have the watch. I placed an order from Northwest Swim shop.

BTW, does anyone have experience with them? I hope it doesn't take months before I get it. :-(

I will let you know what I think about it, if it ever get here.

/Mathias

mathiasjohnson
September 19th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Unfortunately they sent a reply back that they didn't ship to Sweden. :-(

Jeff Commings
September 19th, 2005, 05:29 PM
I used to own the first version of this watch. It's fun to use, once you get the hang of it.

You can use it for all the strokes except breast. The watch has sensors that detect when the hand has left the water and when it re-enters. Since the hands never really leave the water in breaststroke, it doesn't register a change.

You tell the watch how far you're swimming. You press something like the START button on the watch and it counted down from five seconds. Usually, I would push off the wall in those five seconds so that when it reached zero my first arm recovery would be timed to that moment.

Swim normally. The watch does the rest.

At the end of the length press STOP and the watch calculates stroke count, stroke rate and distance per stroke (thus the need to tell it how far you swam).

It's a good tool. Luckily, I got the watch when I was sponsored by Speedo, because it's very expensive. Like $500. But that was about eight years ago.

mathiasjohnson
September 19th, 2005, 05:37 PM
for the information. Do you need to press stopp for every lap you complete? If I swim 1 km then I would have to press it 20 times I suppose. I hope they are easy to press. The prices I have seen is more like $60-70. That's quite affordable.
/Mathias

Jeff Commings
September 19th, 2005, 08:08 PM
If you set the watch to swim 1 km (1000 meters), you press start at the start, and stop at the end of the 1000th meter. I think it does adjust the distance per stroke and others slightly for turns.

And I'm glad the price has gone down.

PeirsolFan
September 19th, 2005, 09:48 PM
I'm sorry my info didn't pan out. Dear Speedo... Grrr.

Sounds like a great watch. Do you have a used sporting goods store near you? Maybe ebay - there's a European version I think.

Bob McAdams
September 20th, 2005, 03:02 AM
I recently purchased this watch, and can tell you a little about it.

First, you don't set the distance you're going to swim. That was true of the old Speedo Stroke Monitor, but it's not true of this one. What you set is the length of the pool in which you're swimming (so it knows how long a lap is). You also key in your sex and weight so it can compute things like calories burned. You can also key in what stroke you're planning to do (FR, BR, BA, BU, or MX - for "mixed"), and it will save this information when it records the set in its memory.

When you tell it you want to start swimming, it flashes WAIT five times and then tells you it's READY. As far as I can tell, it doesn't actually start timing at this point. It waits until you actually start swimming. (How does it know? I still haven't figured that out.)

The only other thing you have to do is hit the enter button at the end to stop it. It figures out how many laps you did (no, I don't know how it does that, either!), computes the total distance, counts your stroke cycles, computes your speed, stroke length, stroke rate, and calories burned. It also saves data on each lap in your set (which can be particularly useful when you're doing I.M., since your stroke rate, stroke length, and speed are likely to vary significantly between the different strokes).

It will save up to five sets before you have to clear it. I'm not sure why it won't save more than that (considering how much data you can store on a chip nowadays). But when you consider how much data it's saving for long sets (it even remembers the time and date when you did the set), it's fairly impressive.

There are a couple of features the old watch had that the new one doesn't. One is a light, but unless you swim in the dark a lot and can't bring a flashlight, I don't see that as important. Another is the interval timer. With the old watch, you could set a time and then let it count down from that time. When it reached zero, it would signal you and then reset, and you could set it to either Stop after reseting or Repeat (which would make it immediately start counting down again). The Stop feature was very useful if you wanted to have a fixed rest interval between each set, while the Repeat option was very useful if you were starting each set on a particular interval. But the new watch does not have this feature.

If you buy this watch, you should be prepared to spend some time wading through the instructions. I actually had to do a couple of passes: the first to figure out how to time myself, and the second after I got back from the pool to figure out how to access all the data it recorded.

I've also had some times when it didn't count my laps correctly, though I was doing drills at the time and maybe that confused it. But when it works, it provides a lot of useful data. I may post again after I've had a chance to use it more.

Bob