PDA

View Full Version : A brief discourse on coaching

BillS
September 19th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Inspired by the TI debate and the ongoing effort to analyze each and every muscle twitch involved in the butterfly . . .

I pride myself on being a self-learner. I get into something, read everything I can about it, and try to work it out by myself. But a when a fellow lunch lapper mentioned that a local hero Big 10 swimmer was returning to the area and was available for private coaching sessions, I sought her out and signed up. She told me it was $40 for 45 minutes and we could work on whatever I wanted.

Being an egocentric male, I started with my strongest stroke, my free. I was convinced she would be awestruck at my self-taught-from-TI principles with a touch of the greats from ee videos grace, and my 3000 meters per day power, would congratulate me on my uncanny ability to self master the stroke, and we would quickly move on to what I knew I needed help with, the dreaded butterfly.

An hour later (I think she felt sory for me and threw in an extra 15 minutes) my head was spinning with all the things I had to think about improving in my free. I got at least a year's worth of stuff to work on, think about, and play with in one $40 session. My wayward kick, my wide arm stroke, my head position, etc. etc. etc. . . . Looking back over some of the stuff I was reading, I see that I missed some things, glossed over some others, and wasn't sufficiently self-aware to incorporate some things. She also explained the whys of some of the drills in relation to my swimming habits -- why certain drills could help me overcome some bad habits.

I think a self-made video of my stroke might have helped me spot some (but definitely not all) of the flaws, but would not have suggested the fix.

A week later we touched on back and fly in a second hour session. I got probably a lifetime of stuff to work on for that 40 bucks.

So I'm sold. I may continue to swim alone, and I will certainly continue to read everything I can find, but every now and then I'm going to make the effort to get some coaching.

PeirsolFan
September 20th, 2005, 07:59 AM
That's good to hear. Your local library may have a lot to offer. :)

I've heard of mirrors being used in practice which would be really nice to try sometime. You know, correct the stroke as you go vs. seeing it later on video.