PDA

View Full Version : Hair colour for swimmers?

HeatherCW
September 21st, 2005, 08:59 AM
OK, I know this is vain and silly and all that, but...

My hair's going grey and I'd really rather it didn't. I'm considering colouring it with an at-home kit; does anyone have recommendations for brands that are more likely to survive chlorine?

Thanks,
Heather

waves101
September 21st, 2005, 05:59 PM
Oh, how I wish my hair would stick around long enough to turn grey! Anyone had any luck with the spray on hair? I think I might need that! Now if they can just figure out how the keep it on in the pool. Hey, new product idea for Speedo. A swim cap, perforated with hair extensions. I definitely need that!

jim clemmons
September 21st, 2005, 07:28 PM
I started back in '99 and within a year both my hair and my moustache had turned "swimmers gray". I'll never know if it's the chlorine or just "life timing". Maybe it was "early blooming" gray now that I think about it.

I tried one time some light brown stuff for my moustache and by the time I'd finished an hour workout, it had totally vanished. Gone.

Gave up. Decided to concentrate on the swimming instead of the gray.

jim clemmons
September 21st, 2005, 07:41 PM
I tried one time some light brown stuff for my moustache and by the time I'd finished an hour workout, it had totally vanished. Gone.

Guess I should have said the coloring had vanished/gone. The moustache was still there.

;) we need one of these smilies with a 'stash.

Conniekat8
September 21st, 2005, 08:14 PM
I've just gotten used to the chlorine green!
Well, washing your hair with ultraswim helps.

HeatherCW
September 21st, 2005, 08:24 PM
I'm using a detoxifying shampoo from the hairdresser's because I've always found Ultraswim to do a crappy job for me. This stuff works, at least I'm not green... but I'm gonna look like I've several age groups ahead of my current 30-34 if the greying trend continues.

UNLESS... if I look like I'm 50, do I get to put my times into that age group? That might make it worthwhile.

I guess nobody here dyes their hair. Oh well. I've already gone short and spiky for the cause of swimming, I can sacrifice the rest of my looks to it as well. :)

Heather

dorothyrde
September 21st, 2005, 08:49 PM
Noooooooo, I don't need a 30 something in my age group when I finally get there!! Luckily at 44 I still have not greyed, and have more hair than I can handle. I am fairly certain I am on borrowed time though.

PeirsolFan
September 21st, 2005, 09:17 PM
Do not try to fight the chlorine... Hair coloring fades fast and that goes for the eyebrows.

Head shaving anyone?

F'ueco
September 21st, 2005, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by PeirsolFan
Do not try to fight the chlorine... Hair coloring fades fast and that goes for the eyebrows.

Head shaving anyone?

Heh. My eyebrows are the lightest hairs on my body. I cut my hair to 1/4", so I don't have too many problems with my hair going green. :)

thisgirl13
September 22nd, 2005, 12:38 AM
Alright, Heather, I'll stand up and say it!

I COLOR MY HAIR. There. I feel better.

Shame on you men for trying to answer a woman's hair-color question. Alright, in all honesty, nice try.

Heather, if you've already gone short in length, then what I'm about to tell you will make it relatively easier.

Do yourself a favor - if you want to color your hair and keep swimming, get it done at a salon. There isn't a hair color available to the general public that will stand up to chlorine. Period. They just don't make aftermarket hair colors that strong.

Now, if you go and get it professionally done, tell them you spend a lot of time in chlorine. Then, once it's colored, follow these steps (sounds like more of a hassle than it really is):

Rinse your hair with cool water before you get in the pool. After practice, wash your hair with a chlorine/sports labeled shampoo. THe next day, before work, etc, wash your hair with a shampoo for color-treated hair, and condition it.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it isn't, and it will keep your hair color from turning shades of puce and, in one horrible case of mine, burnt orange and lemon.

Rebecca
September 22nd, 2005, 01:18 AM
I have short, curly, fine, reddish blonde hair that fades in the chlorine (but I've never had it turn green). I don't like permanent hair color because it seems to cause more damage than the pool does. I use Clairol Natural Instincts, a "level 2" coloring that doesn't require bleaching and gradually washes out over about a month. It helps darken and brighten up the color a little and I think it even provides a little protection because it coats the hair. I also follow the procedure of getting my hair wet in the shower before swimming, wearing a cap, and conditioning it afterward. The coloring comes with a little tube of great conditioner, also. I swim almost every day, and use the color about once a month. I get my hair cut at a good salon, and my stylist is really impressed with it. It only costs about $7.00, and washes out gradually over time, so it's worth a try!:)

HeatherCW
September 22nd, 2005, 07:29 AM
I was sure that SOMEONE out there also coloured her hair and would admit it eventually. Cut my hair to 1/4". Thanks for the "advice". :)

I do rinse it before I swim, but I hate caps with a passion. Maybe time to learn to love 'em?

I think I'll start with the Natural Instincts stuff and go from there... I'm cheap and lazy (a potent combination). :)

When men go grey on the sides above their ears it looks distinguished. It looks rather different on me. :)

Thanks,
Heather

Kerry
September 22nd, 2005, 10:31 AM
I color my hair, too. :)

I get mine done at a salon, and the color "takes" really well. But I *always* wear a cap. You can see, too, where some of the hair at the back of my neck slips out of the cap - the color is very faded there and my hair is stiff. But most of my hair is protected by the cap and stays a nice color and texture.

The colors that fade the least are browns, I think - so if you're going for gray coverage, I'd do that. Mine is reddish and fades faster than brown or blonde.

Good luck! I have noticed a LOT more gray after I started swimming but I think it may be due to my 3 year old, mostly. :)

Mary R.
September 22nd, 2005, 03:21 PM
I'll 'fess up too -- I'm in my early fifties and have been colouring my hair for more than 10 years. It's shoulder length, too. Agree fully that you need to get it done in the salon, wet it before going in the pool, wash it immediately after...my hair is fine but it hasn't fallen out and the colour does not go green with this regime. (PS I get whole head highlights, i.e. blonde, on a salt-and-pepper base).

Try colouring your hair, and if you like it longer, it seems it should be possible.

thisgirl13
September 22nd, 2005, 04:32 PM
Kerry,

Brown fades. Trust me. True, not as fast as red, but especially the darker shades, like mine, fade to blondey-orange quickly.

Blonde and light brown, I think, other than the tendency to turn green if it's not taken care of, are the easiest shades to maintain. Dark hair just turns to poo if you're not careful.

Who knew that my martyrdom would convince others to come forward? ;)

laineybug
September 22nd, 2005, 06:12 PM
me too.......... and I play it dangerous. I go blonde, but I have it done at the salon. I don't bother with the wet your hair before you swim because I think that is a wives tale, I shampoo with Beach Blonde immediately after the swim and that's it. I don't know what my hairdresser does that helps prevent my hair from turning green but it doesn't. I've been doing this routine for years and years and my hair still isn't damaged. The trick is, I think, to go to your hairdresser regularly and let him or her advise you on the condition of your hair.

Lainey

WPSWIMS
September 22nd, 2005, 06:57 PM
Have your stylist highlight your hair. This has worked for me.
I do wear a cap and put a little conditioner on my hair before swimming.