PDA

View Full Version : Stealth Swimming?

sdswimmer
September 21st, 2005, 06:18 PM
I sneak in my am ocean swims before work. SInce everyone els eis so "hardworking" they'd never consider taking time out for a swim, I keep it a secret. Well this year, I'm having a lot of meetings shortly after my swim. I was fine swimming and changing and getting too the meetings, use make-up to hide the goggle cap marks. The problem is wiht the dropping temps, I'm shivering on and off for an hour or two after. People keep wondering if I'm sick.

So any tips or tricks to hide that am swim?
Who else sneaks in swim time?

-sd

F'ueco
September 21st, 2005, 10:31 PM
Lots of hot drinks and cereal!

And just wear a shirt that says, "yeah, I swim in the ocean."

brains07666
September 22nd, 2005, 09:52 AM
I'd love to be able to swim before work but time and geography are against this. Which area are you in?

After swimming in cold water, or after a long swim in cool water, I would also shiver or be cold for a long time afterwards. I guess that's how long it takes to re-warm one's body. It's much worse if I must be in an air conditioned place during that time. The best thing I've found is that a bit of running or fast walking/and or other exercise immedately after the swim (if I still have the energy at that time) goes a long way to warming.

Guvnah
September 22nd, 2005, 03:41 PM
This happens even if you wear a heavy sweater?

My parents used to tell me that if my feet were cold, I would feel cold all over.

Perhaps an extra heavy pair of socks might help.

laineybug
September 22nd, 2005, 06:04 PM
Don't let them schedule for meetings that early!

sdswimmer
September 22nd, 2005, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by laineybug
Don't let them schedule for meetings that early!

Hey some days I swim "late" at 9, then I go to work and leave "for a meeting" and return at 11. Others, I swim first. THe trick is what they don't know doesn't hurt them!

Rowdy
September 28th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Try running warm water over your wrists on the palm side. The blood vessels are close to the skin there.

When I'm hot I do it with cold water and it helps. Maybe it will work in reverse.

My big problem with morning swims is reeking of chlorine and the inevitable sniffles the Y pool brings on.

ggcarroll
September 29th, 2005, 07:19 PM
If people ask, tell them the truth. I often surf before work and people want to hear about it, even the type-A personalities that eat, sleep and dream about work.

Who knows, maybe you'll begin to get some of them to loosen up and consider having an outside life.

sdswimmer
September 29th, 2005, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by ggcarroll
If people ask, tell them the truth. I often surf before work and people want to hear about it, even the type-A personalities that eat, sleep and dream about work.

Who knows, maybe you'll begin to get some of them to loosen up and consider having an outside life.

I wish but not this crowd. RUnning is okay swimming is not oh well.
The showers at the beach are cold too but I tried hot water on my arms when i got to work and some coca in a thermos and it helped some. The water temp is continuing to drop!

ggcarroll
September 29th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Here's a portable shower suggestion. Since most of the beaches up here in the San Francisco area don't have showers, I take a big detergent plastic bottle (the one gallon size), fill it with hot water before I leave the house and wrap it in towels in the car.

After I finish surfing I pour it over my head...pure heaven. I even have enough warm water to wash my hair. So when I get to work, I may be damp but not salty.

Not sure if the surfers in San Diego do that because the water is so much warmer there. This would work just as well for swimming, I think.

Are you at LaJolla Cove? I'm just assuming that the SD stands for San Diego?

Sabretooth Tiger
September 29th, 2005, 10:26 PM
We do the same thing here in SoCal, though depending on the day, we can sometimes just leave the jug on top of the car to heat up . . .

carl

waves101
September 30th, 2005, 09:31 AM
I also swim in the am's before work. Sometimes I actually make it to work on time but I always take a warm shower before. Michigan just isn't condusive to outdoor swimming (except for a few short months). I've found if you share some of your swimming accomplishments with your co-workers, they are more understanding. Just attending a nationals competition goes a long way.

brains07666
September 30th, 2005, 09:40 AM
I had been trying to figure also the "home base" of the poster. I consider that person very fortunate to have an ocean to swim in before work, I'd love to be in that position. I do remember how beautiful the conditions often are at La Jolla Cove, yes it would be starting to cool down a bit now. The times I was there, I remember that even the "cold" public showers generally felt "warm" after the ocean.

Anyway, concerning the "improvised warm shower" idea, I have used a few variants:
(a) On sunny/cool days, fill green or clear-colored 2-liter bottles (with labels removed) with fresh water and leave in the sun. As mentioned, it feels great after a cool swim -- but I doubt that the few seconds of pleasure will really warm someone.
(b) On cloudy days, leave the same bottles under the hood of the car during the swim. The residual engine heat usually warms them. Be sure to remove them before moving or you could have a "flooded engine syndrome."

PS: I don't mention swimming at my job either (over 20 years now) as it's likewise not "respected." But I almost never get to swim before work due to time/geography so it's less relevant...

Good luck.

swimlong
September 30th, 2005, 12:21 PM
I, too, swim before work. I warm up by putting the heat on full blast in the car, and wrapping my hands around a cup of hot coffee or tea ( I bring it in a thermos). I have also filled up a hot water bottle at work and kept it under my sweater on my stomach - although it's not always possible to do this in public.

Other things that help - get completely dry in the car - get changed in the passenger seat as the heat is blasting - so when you drive to work the seat isn't wet.

Keep a hair dryer at work and dry your hair.

Eat. Preferably something hot. Your body needs calories to warm up.

On a similar note (hope this isn't hijacking the thread): Living in Canada, I swim in a wetsuit in the fall/winter. I usually throw on my bathing suit and the legs of the wetsuit and a sweatshirt for the trip to the lake or ocean. I pack my work clothes in a gym bag. One morning I went to change into work gear after my swim, and noticed to my horror that I had packed my teenage son's jeans rather than my own"dressy" jeans ... his are the baggy bummed, hang down past your hips type...well, I wore them as they were more appropriate than a wetsuit for work, but I did get lots of stares!

ggcarroll
September 30th, 2005, 12:43 PM
I consider myself really fortunate. When I was first hired by the company that I'm in now and then when I transferred to another department, I said that I swam with a masters swim team and that sometimes I'd be late in the morning because I would be training with the team. I told them I'd always call to let them know; that I would always make up the time and make sure the work got done. If that wasn't acceptable, I couldn't take the job. Everyone said, "no problem."

One new manager tried to make me stop but backed off when I told her it was a condition of my employment.

I know that I'm awfully lucky.

Guvnah
September 30th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by ggcarroll
I consider myself really fortunate. When I was first hired by the company that I'm in now and then when I transferred to another department, I said that I swam with a masters swim team and that sometimes I'd be late in the morning because I would be training with the team. I told them I'd always call to let them know; that I would always make up the time and make sure the work got done. If that wasn't acceptable, I couldn't take the job. Everyone said, "no problem."

One new manager tried to make me stop but backed off when I told her it was a condition of my employment.

I know that I'm awfully lucky.

I have no idea where San Rafael is, but do you work at Oracle? I hear they have an outdoor 25 meter pool on site at the fitness center at Oracle headquarters (Redwood Shores near San Fran.) They have a masters team, and Oracle even provides a coach for the morning workouts.

ggcarroll
September 30th, 2005, 05:24 PM
San Rafael is a little north of the Golden Gate Bridge. Oracle is waaaay south of that. I'm in healthcare, not software, but maybe I should change jobs if they offer all those swimming activities!

sdswimmer
September 30th, 2005, 10:56 PM
Yes I'm swimming in San Diego, the cove, windansea and the beaches. I was considering carrying some hot water. I can't carry much weight still but it seems like a good idea leaving it on the car could solve the carrying problem.

The water temps really dropped over the last week. I've started taking a thermos that helps some. Funny thing is the air in the afternoons has gotten very hot so I go from very cold to very hot.

mattson
October 1st, 2005, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by sdswimmer
People keep wondering if I'm sick.

Not trying to be evil :D , but maybe a few of them are thinking something worse than being sick. Think about it: shaking, rings around the eyes, being tired, being hungry, maybe sniffing...

Be suspicious if any of them try to check your arms for needle marks... ;)

sdswimmer
October 1st, 2005, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by mattson
Not trying to be evil :D , but maybe a few of them are thinking something worse than being sick. Think about it: shaking, rings around the eyes, being tired, being hungry, maybe sniffing...

Yeah I suppose its a concern, we cert. drug-free though. THe open water aspect helps a bit since I'm very tan and "robust" looking. I wear a little make-up to hide those rings! Hungry though, all the time! ANd hiding those arms in a jacket beucase I'm cold!

BillS
October 3rd, 2005, 12:10 PM
Take a page from the surfer dude book and try a Solar Shower. They are basically a black or mylar plastic bag with a tube and a shutoff nozzle attached. Just lay it across the roof of the car (it's considered like totally bad karma to rip one off, and they are cheap anyway, so don't sweat it) and you'll have some fairly warm water for a post swim rinsedown. Should be $10 -- 20 and available in any surf/windsurf shop.

Even here in beautiful, sunny (Ha!) Oregon the water gets pretty warm pretty fast, thanks to all those uv's floating around.

ChrisM
October 3rd, 2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by mattson

No hi school swimmers here, remember the early morning workouts in over-chlorinated pools?

"I swear, my eyes are red because of swim team practice!" ;)

aquageek
October 18th, 2005, 03:45 PM
A car with heated seats will warm you up nicely.

sdswimmer
October 19th, 2005, 03:20 AM
my new car does have heated seats and here I was wondering what I'd do with them in So Cal. I now have a new routine, it takes a little longer so I can't always do it. I get out, shower (cold water) rinse with a bottle of hot water and have some cocoa (and a banana) Then I hop in my car and turn on the seat warmers. I haven't been shivering for as long or quite so hungry when I get to work.
Now we've had some rain and i'm waiting for the ocean water to get a bit cleaner so I did a little distnace in the pool and I got so hot i had to stop between sets to stand outside & cool off!

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I should dig up my sunshower and see how that works!