PDA

View Full Version : Breakthrough! (It's about time)

69gscal
September 22nd, 2005, 04:39 AM
I had the absolute greatest swim this morning!

First of all, I hurt my shoulder last week durring a soccer game and haven't swam since. Today I entered the pool for the first time in 9 days with the intention of taking it easy with a lot of drills and slow paced sets.

I decided that I'd concentrate on my kicking because my stroke felt absolutely terrible and my left shoulder (the one I hurt) was incredibly week and still sore.

I thought back to the kicking thread with Ande and decided to practice a 6 beat kick on both sides while rolling side to side. I did a few sets of kicking alone before adding in my arm stroke.

What an amazing difference! My stroke felt so smooth and relaxed. I was blowing away my usual pace by 2-3 seconds per 50 meters and putting in a lot less effort.

I think I must have had a pause in my kick before when rolling from side to side. I noticed that when I'd stop concentrating on a continuous kick, my kick would pause for a moment each time my hand would re-enter the water after the recovery. Each time I did this my hips would drop and I could feel my lower body dragging.

The only problem now is that I've got a very weak kick and my legs tire easily. I'll have to start training them more so that I can utilize my new found technique.

I can't believe I've been making this mistake for so long.

DanSad
September 22nd, 2005, 10:41 AM
Sounds like you found something that works for you. Just wondering, could the sudden improvement be partially due to the unplanned taper "9 days"? I'm sure the kick played a major role though.

Conniekat8
September 22nd, 2005, 01:57 PM
Don't beat yourself up about the 'pause' it's relatively common, at least what I see in people that come to our clinics.

It is very noticeable when we tape them under water, not only that it's not continuous, but they tend to open up their feet too much when they breathe.

Keep pratcticing, and you'll get it! :)