PDA

View Full Version : Goggles

SwiminONandON
September 22nd, 2005, 11:22 AM
When did goggles get invented? When did they become common?

jonblank
September 22nd, 2005, 11:33 AM
Beer goggles were invented during the pre-Cambrian period, when fermented beverages came into common usage. Imbibing said beverages led to species propagation, often with mammals of lower order.

Swim goggles have been used by pearl divers for at least 200 years, according to Spanish naval accounts from the late 1780's.

I remember swimming in a 20 yard pool during high school in the 1970's sans goggles. Our manager stood ready with Visine to soothe our raw orbs. We started using goggles soon thereafter, about 1974 or 75, as I remember.

I never used goggles in competition until 2004, because I couldn't learn to dive with them on.

dorothyrde
September 22nd, 2005, 11:35 AM
Spitz did not use them did he, and that was what, 72?

TheGoodSmith
September 22nd, 2005, 11:41 AM
I remember in 1971 getting my first pair of goggles at the YMCA. They had no rubber foam on them, and they really dug into my face. I also remember getting larger black rubber goggles after that which had removable glass lenses.

John Smith

aquageek
September 22nd, 2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by jonblank
Beer goggles were invented during the pre-Cambrian period, when fermented beverages came into common usage. Imbibing said beverages led to species propagation, often with mammals of lower order.

I haven't laughed that hard at this forum in a while, well, at least since yesterday when someone said they had perfect flip turns.

GOOD ONE!

scyfreestyler
September 22nd, 2005, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by aquageek
I haven't laughed that hard at this forum in a while, well, at least since yesterday when someone said they had perfect flip turns.

GOOD ONE!

Amen to that!!

scooter
September 22nd, 2005, 12:09 PM
... I remember the day I accidentally wore my beer goggles to the pool ... everything was perfect!

Allen Stark
September 24th, 2005, 12:45 PM
I used thebig black ugly rubber goggles in High School in 1966&67 and kept them in college(I am a breaststroker so everyone expected me to be weird.) I saw the plastic gasketless goggles first in 1970.