PDA

View Full Version : Totally OT Skiing?

Conniekat8
September 22nd, 2005, 03:50 PM
How many of you here like to snow ski?
I haven't gone to ski in couple of years, and have a hunkering to go...
Get a group going, crash one of Pauls SCY meets (you guys have some up there in Colorado, don't you?), then go skiing?
It could be like... cross training.

Seagurl51
September 22nd, 2005, 04:23 PM
Skiing's hard.......................go snowboarding and I'm in. :D

scyfreestyler
September 22nd, 2005, 04:26 PM
Snow skiing is not my cup of tea. Water skiing? That's another story alltogether!

thisgirl13
September 22nd, 2005, 04:34 PM
I'm with Kyra....bring on the snowboards, and for the matter, the surfboards.

Having individual control of one's own legs on snow and water is just too much work for me. :p Though strangely, I find walking less difficult than hopping everywhere. Hmm.....quite an anomoly.

knelson
September 22nd, 2005, 04:54 PM
I love skiing. Look for a meet in Salt Lake. Much better than Denver for quick access to good skiing!

edit: and Connie, if you've never been to Mammoth go there for sure. Awesome mountain and onlya few hours drive from the LA area.

Conniekat8
September 22nd, 2005, 05:28 PM
We could do a skiing and snowboarding get-together!

Like a special 'USMS DF' pals meet.
One in the winter with skiing and snowboarding, one in the summer with summer activities (I used to waterski).

Hmmm....
Ideas anyone?

Paul Smith
September 22nd, 2005, 06:03 PM
Ok knelson......trying to fan the flames of the very heated Utah vs. Colorado skiing debate!!

A couple of things after living at a ski resort for 18 years and getting in about 100 days a year for the first 10:

- for never evers you can pick up snowboarding with a 3 day lesson........the same level for skiing would take weeks. Plus, don't trust any friend that wants to teach you, lay down for the never ever class and get it dialed in.

- Utah has great snow and no doubt Salt Lake City is closer to all the resorts than Denver......however you can fly direct into quite a few resorts here from certain markets (LA to Vail, Chicago to Aspen, etc.).

- Forget about doing it in December, if you can come the first two weeks of januray when the crowds have gone and hotels and lift tickets are far better priced.

- We have some great meets out here during the ski season, come out for some "altitude" speed work and ski a few days, check out; www.comsa.org

- If anyone is serious, drop me an email as I'm happy to help out. Lots of places for deals; vailonsale.com for example!

knelson
September 22nd, 2005, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Paul Smith
Ok knelson......trying to fan the flames of the very heated Utah vs. Colorado skiing debate!!!

I wondered if you'd take the bait on that ;)

Leonard Jansen
September 22nd, 2005, 09:55 PM
Alpine skiing - BLAH! Nordic skiing - YES! (Skating technique - YES, YES, YES!)

After all, a dead fish can swim downstream, but it takes a live one to swim up it.

-LBJ

knelson
September 23rd, 2005, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Leonard Jansen
After all, a dead fish can swim downstream, but it takes a live one to swim up it.

We're not fish, so why ski like them? :D

Conniekat8
September 23rd, 2005, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Leonard Jansen
Alpine skiing - BLAH! Nordic skiing - YES! (Skating technique - YES, YES, YES!)

-LBJ

True, but if I want a workout, I go swim.
Skiing is for fun!
Going downhill after a little swig of blackberry schnapps on the lift kind of a thing.

Conniekat8
September 23rd, 2005, 12:22 AM
Well, I was thinking something along these lines...
I have an empty guestroom that can squeeze in two people here in Southern California...
There might be more people like that in other places.
We could do something like trading spaces, you use my guestroom in the summer, or whenever is interesting, and I use yours if I want to visit your area...

But, we should all do it perhaps during a local meet, being that you're saving on the Hotel, come and swim at your hosts meet, to support their efforts... Something like that.

I think it could be a neat way to promote friendships....
We'd have to refine it more.
Any thoughts?

Paul Smith
September 23rd, 2005, 10:38 AM
Leonard...........skate skiing is by far the most humbling sport I have ever attempted.......and I LOVE it!

I should have used that as a late bloomer analogy a long time ago (actually might have a couple years back). Here's a sport that even the most highlly conditioned athletes suffer at if they don't start out with basic technique training............I was prime example the first time I went (about 12 years ago).

Connies right however....this should be a more relaxing thing but still have options.

As I wrote to her, Boulder Masters are hosting the Rowdy/Dara clinic in Januray, not sure if all the spots will fill but that may be a good time to try and visit?

Leonard Jansen
September 23rd, 2005, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Paul Smith
Leonard...........skate skiing is by far the most humbling sport I have ever attempted.......and I LOVE it!

Yes, it is wonderful - just gliding along, a light snow, zip around a turn and get into a tuck for a hairy downhill....

Before we moved here to Living Hell, we lived in Colorado Springs and used to go XC skiing most weekends in the winter. Also did the hut-to-hut thing on the 10th Mt Division trail in the Leadville area.

I'd kill my entire family with meat hooks if that would make it possible to move back to Colorado.

-LBJ

tjburk
September 23rd, 2005, 11:30 AM
Got family that live in Carbondale, just below Aspen!!! I'm in...love to ski!!!!!!!! Snow or water!!!!! Don't matter to me!!!! LOL :D

Conniekat8
September 23rd, 2005, 01:29 PM
I love to ski, but hate to do it alone, it gets kind of boring alone... I've done it a milion times.
Much more fun with a group!