PDA

View Full Version : Goswim.tv's dvd - worth $50?

HeatherCW
September 28th, 2005, 09:56 PM
I have the TI 4-stroke DVD and ave generally found it helpful, especially for fly. I'm considering the DVD from goswim.tv that covers all four strokes - does anyone out there have it? I'd love to know whether it's good before I drop the cash.

Thanks,
Heather

scyfreestyler
September 28th, 2005, 11:33 PM
If you are reffering to the GoSwim with Erik Vendt and Kaitlin Sandeno, yes I have it. I would not suggest it for those who are just starting to swim but for those who already have the basics down will surely benefit. I love watching Kaitlin swim in that video and Erik's kick is something to be desired for sure. It has lots of slow mo footage as well as drills.

HeatherCW
September 29th, 2005, 07:44 AM
I blanked on their names when I posted. :)

Probably should have mentioned... I was an age group swimmer twenty years ago (yikes, it HAS been twenty years!) and got into masters about two years ago. So my basic strokes are pretty good.

Thanks!
Heather

goswim218
October 4th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Hi Heather,

A friend of mine told me about your post, and once I saw you were from Canada, I wanted to drop a note. We recently picked up a great distributor in Canada:
http://www.team-aquatic.com/

Contact them, and you can save some money on shipping.

I was just with them in Vancouver this past weekend, so the DVDs we had at the coaches conference sold out, but we'll be restocking them this week. Hope that helps for the future. Also, if you have any questions about the DVD, let me know.

Thanks,
Glenn

HeatherCW
October 4th, 2005, 01:17 PM
I will check out team-aquatic. Thanks very much!

Do you think the DVD would be good for me as a steadily-improving masters swimmer with tons of age group experience?

Heather

goswim218
October 4th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Tough call for me, since I made the video. It may sound a bit too "selling"... but the techniques that both Kaitlin and Eric use are applicable at all levels of the sport. Sounds like you already have a ton of "basics", so the points on the DVD would continue to give you many things to think about during your training.

gull
October 4th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Glenn--can you give us an update on Dave?

BTW, anyone who hasn't seen the Dave Denniston video should do so; his breaststroke is a thing of beauty.

goswim218
October 4th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Dave's doing better than can be expected. He was in Ft. Lauderdale with us at the ASCA convention, and it was there that continued to prove what a great guy he really is. He has handled his accident better than anybody could imagine. His spirit is undaunted, and although I could never imagine how rough it really is, he seems to make it out like it's no big deal.

His rehab is going forward in Southern Cal, and there is still much hope. He's making progress, and it's best to follow everything that's going on, on his website. He's writing some really funny stuff and it's a great way to see how somebody handles real adversity. Kinda makes me not feel so sorry for myself if I've had a bad day:
http://www.davedenniston.com/

Anyway, as I said, he's doing great, and is still one of the funniest guys I've ever met.

breastroker
October 4th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Glenn,
That is one of the few DVDs that I don't have. I have always thought that if Eric trained just for the 200 breast that he could do a 2:08, I believe his best is a 2:12 which ain't shabby.

Does Eric do much breast on the DVD? That alone would make the video worth the money.

I have the Dave Denniston video, and as good a coach as David Salo is, I still think he should have had Dave under a minute for the 100 breast. The video is one of the best, I recommend it over the Ed Moses breaststroke video.

I some times read Daves Journal. I met a lot of Auborn swimmers at Olympic trials, but there is no way anyone else would put Nair in their nostrils:D I about died reading that.

goswim218
October 4th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Sorry... I didn't mean to turn this into an ad. Erik does quite a bit of breaststroke on the DVD, plus there's a few minutes of him in extreme slow-mo, with no talking, so people can get their own meaning out of it. People seem to like it.

Dave's got some incredibly funny stuff on his webpage... ya gotta read much further down to understand the real challenges he's gone through, but he certainly pulls no punches in explaining it all.

swiminton
October 10th, 2005, 05:34 PM
I have the Kaitlin and Vendt DVD. I am a new swimmer (just past my 15 months since I got into water first time in my life) and still learned a great deal from that DVD. I probably have watched it close to 30-40 times since I got it in June.

Now about Denniston's DVD (the regular one, not the one about turns, which I already have) , does it offer anything more than what Beard's DVD has already talked about?

Which style of breaststroke does he swim? Is his style closer to Eddie Reese's teaching or Richard Quick's? I know neither is his coach, but I don't know about the styles of the other coaches.

goswim218
October 10th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the comments about the All Strokes. Glad it's getting used!

If you've got Dave's turns DVD, you can get a pretty good idea how he swims on that. As far as how it differs from Amanda, is about how much they differ as swimmers, man/woman, that sort of thing. Depending on the way YOU swim breaststroke, or your body type, should determine which is going to be the best for you.

Dave would swim a style that is more along with Eddie I guess. His stroke is easy to watch, teach, and learn. It's not quite as dramatic as Amanda's, but obviously, he performs everything so well, he swam extremely fast. I'd say for most Masters swimmers, this would be the DVD that would appeal to the majority because of the ease in which his moves are accomplishable.

Some of the points are similar between Amanda and Dave's video, but the way they get to the points are very different. Dave's video is great, and we're still giving him all the profits from his DVDs... so at the very least... you know it's going to a great cause! Hope that answers it somewhat. Glenn

Peter Cruise
October 10th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Glenn- I'm very pleased that Team Aquatic will be handling your videos; they are a very classy organisation & very involved as a 'good citizen' for swimming in Canada. I am especially happy since we have one of their swim shops at the pool I train at, so freight now a non-issue! By the way, did you meet Doug Perks? He is a wild & crazy guy under his quiet exterior.

swiminton
October 10th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Thanks Glenn. I will think about it and see if I will order one. I have got 7 DVDs/VHSs just on breaststroke alone. I need to think about whether I shoudl get another one. :)

I used to swim breaststroke Eddie Reese's style, but now I am swimming the outsweep insweep type (more along the line of Richard Quick's teaching). I find it easier to breathing and timing.

Do you have any other new videos coming up?

goswim218
October 10th, 2005, 08:48 PM
I did meet Doug last week while in Whistler for a coaches conference. He is certainly a great guy, and I was fortunate to accompany that fine group to a dinner one night. Turned out to be quite a long night. :) Great group, and we've got a bunch more DVDs heading up to them today. So like you said... NO SHIPPING to Canada (if you're near one of their locations).

As far as other new DVDs, yes, we've got a bunch in the "pipeline", including heading to Hawaii next month to help Karlyn create a masters specific freestyle video. Gonna be a rough trip. :) We'll have more on our site when that gets closer. Thanks.

Peter Cruise
October 10th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Glenn- if you meet Doug again and he happens to overconsume alcohol, ask him about the mysterious draining of the pool at the Canadian Masters Champs in Etobicoke.