PDA

View Full Version : What annoys you?

Graham Short
September 29th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Please tell me that this kind of thing doesn't happen in the States!

This morning, before coming into work, I trained at the local pool in Kenilworth, England, - 25 metres, four lanes. Not brilliant facilities, but acceptable.

At the end of each lane there is a sign: lane 1- slow, lane 2 - slow, lane 3 -medium, lane 4 - fast. Why do some swimmers, who clearly have difficulty in keeping up, always want to swim in the fast lane? This morning one elderly man, joined the fast lane. He swam breaststroke (I think it was!) with his face out of the water, which was a feat in itself because he was swimming so slowly. There were six of us in the lane and three left the pool (myself included).

When on the deck I decided to time him. He was consistent. Every length of the 25m pool was swum in 2 mins 15 seconds!

Please tell me this kind of 'swimming etiquette' wouldn't be seen in your pool.

So that I can continue with my swimming I need to be reassured that this was a one-off. I'm still in shock.

HeatherCW
September 29th, 2005, 07:47 AM
...almost every time I swim. =(

Heather (who has clocked a few people who insist on cutting the length short right in front of me - I can't stop on a dime, people!)

aquageek
September 29th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Graham Short:

Unfortunately, this seems to be a worldwide problem. However, view it as a positive as ever other lap you get a few yards of sprint workout as you swim around them.

dorothyrde
September 29th, 2005, 08:37 AM
In our pool, they often go to the fast lane for the ladder. And it is kind of, whatever lane is open, they hop in. I am OK with it.....if they can swim a straight line. Just love the ones swimming backstroke with very wide arms, and not straight.

brains07666
September 29th, 2005, 09:22 AM
We've been swimming in various pools since apx 1980 and seen pretty much the same things in all of them:
a) Those who insist on "hogging" the faster lanes;
b) Those who cannot follow a straight line;
c) Those who block the turns and/or stand at the ends and push off just as someone is making the turn or approaching it.
d) Those who dive/swim under the lane markers either by accident or to get to another lane or to retrieve a lost object
e) Those who jump into a lane without noticing swimmer "x" is passing swimmer "y" and headed straight at them.

On only 1 or 2 occasions in 25 years have we seen a lifeguard say or do anything about any of the above.

jean sterling
September 29th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Graham Short
When on the deck I decided to time him. He was consistent. Every length of the 25m pool was swum in 2 mins 15 seconds!

2 min. 5 sec! He wasn't swimming - he was floating really fast!

newmastersswimmer
September 29th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Graham.....that would also piss me off as well. Do you think the guy just wasn't paying attention when he chose the fast lane?....It's possible he didn't really read the postings on the lanes and thought that all the lanes were virtually the same....He would be guilty of not paying close enough attention to what he is doing....but I am more forgiving about things like that then just outwardly being rude and inconsiderate.

At our pool there is a recreational section next to the lap swimming lanes and the kids get a kick out of deliberately throwing items at the lap swimmers....they also like to play games where they deliberately swim across the lap lanes (kind of like a dare).....One Saturday these kids relentlessly filled my lane with an assortment of all kinds of materials (kickboards, plastic toys, rings....you name it and they threw it at me)....every single time I came into the wall to turn at the shallow end I was relentlessly pelted with several different items....I didn't even know these kids....the parents on the pool deck didn't seem to care about it either...even though I asked one of the parents to please ask her kids to stop...as I was talking to her about it, 2 of her kids were still throwing stuff in my lane while standing right next to her....The lifeguard asked them to stop a couple of times....but basically did nothing about it.

Newmastersswimmer

dorothyrde
September 29th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Jim are you at all scary or stern. I know when kids get in my way or do something like that, I turn my stern Mommy voice and look on and they don't mess with me after that. And geez on the parents not doing anything. My kid would have been yanked outta there so fast.....

tjburk
September 29th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Jim, might be a little drastic...but, take the kickboard or whatever they throw....and throw it back! Drives me insane when someone interrupts me in the middle of a set for any reason! I come into the wall at 1:05 on a hundred, getting ready to leave on the 1:20 or 1:30....."excuse me, is this lane for lap swimming?" No, this is the Underwater Basket Weaving Class!!!!! Here's your sign!!!!!!

Meeshe
September 29th, 2005, 11:19 AM
I swim in a four lane 25 yd pool during the week. Last night they had a water aerobics class in the outside lane. I was in the middle of my main set and a man was water walking across my lane to get to his class.

I'm amazed that I saw him and stopped (my head is usually down where it should be). He obviously had no idea how fast I was going and is really lucky that I saw him.

Graham Short
September 29th, 2005, 11:31 AM
I appreciate your replies. Can I ask you, the next time you are in the pool, to swim 25m in 2 mins 15 seconds. You'd be amazed how slow this is. In fact it's very difficult to accomplish. I'm starting to respect the man a lot more than I did this morning.

Dennis made a good point, the lifeguards don't seem to notice slow swimmers in a fast lane.

Graham

knelson
September 29th, 2005, 11:33 AM
I swim almost exclusively in organized masters workouts exactly because of the reasons mentioned. My favorite is the people swimming in the fast lane (granted, they are usually faster than your floater, Graham!) who get ticked when you constantly pass them. Usually they don't say anything, but you can tell. It's sort of like they're saying "Darn it, I'm fast. How dare you come in here and start passing me?"

The people who push off right in front of you deserve to be shot.

:D :D

scyfreestyler
September 29th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by knelson

The people who push off right in front of you deserve to be shot.

:D :D Hey, that sounds like something I would say!!

What annoys me at the pool? Hmm? Not much actually. Well, I do get annoyed when kids work their way into my lane from the recreation area of the pool and proceed to get into my way. Another annoying incident was when an elderly man jumped into my lane and decided to split the lane. Normally I would have no problem with this but he chose to do so without letting me know so we collided since I was swimming in the middle of the lane. Somehow I just can't bring myself to yell at the elderly. My parents brought me up way too well I guess.

Fishgrrl
September 29th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Here's my list:

faster swimmers who are lazy and sandbag in practice by insisting on going behind you then ride your toes...

people who chitty chat after workout and stay at the end of the lane so the group is inhibited from doing flip turns

people who brush their teeth in the shower

fast swimmers who won't move up a lane (not talking about a crowded pool either) and refuse to adhere to the send off/interval that the rest of the lane can make

people who yell their times from the last meet, making sure eveyone is in earshot.. i.e.".....YEAH, I DID A 1:06 AT NATIONALS!!!!!!!!!"

People who start the warm up too early (like 5 min. before the top of the hour), so they finish before you do and move on to the next set...

Guvnah
September 29th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by dorothyrde
In our pool, they often go to the fast lane for the ladder. And it is kind of, whatever lane is open, they hop in. I am OK with it.....if they can swim a straight line. Just love the ones swimming backstroke with very wide arms, and not straight.

I think this is a major contributor to the problem. Why get in with someone else when there is a perfectly empty lane they can go in? (Regardless of how it is labeled.)

And it takes the lifeguards to keep order (if order is going to be kept.) And they don't.

Frankly, I just choose to swamp these people when it happens. "Eat my wake!" Only the stupid ones can't figure it out after a few laps. Most realize they are better off to move elsewhere.

aquageek
September 29th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Fishgrrl

That's gross, really gross.

Speaking of gross, here's one for you. Today the dude next to me in the shower, not a swimmer, had apparently put his shampoo in a empty KY Jelly trial size container. Either that, or he was washing his hair with KY. Both scenarios are nasty in my book.

art_z
September 29th, 2005, 01:07 PM
[i]Originally posted by newmastersswimmer ..they also like to play games where they deliberately swim across the lap lanes (kind of like a dare). [/B]

They would do this when I swam my local YMCA, so after a few times I stopped caring. I would just barrel over the little b-----ds. At 6'3"/240lbs and moving at a decent clip (1:15 pace per 100 for SCM) they would soon learn to stay out of my way for fear of bruises or bloody noses. I just wouldnt stop but would swim right over them, maybe do some "fist" drill swims, etc. If they had something to say my usual retort was like "If you want to play in traffic, please go do it in the street outside".

my other favorite is the 2 or 3 old ladies, with flowery swim caps to keep their hair dry, kicking or walking, 3 abreast in the lane, while chattering incessantly. The lifeguard, too hungover or to enamored with whatever member of the opposite sex was nearby, could usually care less. These individuals get the same treatment. Swim at them, fast, maybe even butterfly, but stop at the last moment as obviously you don't want to break granny's hip. Keep doing this until they get the point.

Or even the idiot parents who sit on the side of the pool to watch their kids swim, and then complain that your flip turns are getting them wet. HELLO!!! Its a freakin swimming pool, with water in it, that is usually wet. You don't want to get wet, stay away from the side of the pool. Go sit in the lounge and watch Oprah or read Sports Illustrated.

so yea, i have some pet peeves.

Graham Short
September 29th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Kari said,
"people who brush their teeth in the shower"

I've never seen people doing this, but regularly see men shaving with foam splashing about everywhere.

A couple of months ago a girl at our club was cutting her boyfriend's hair in the showers and succeeded in blocking the drain with his unwanted hair!

I like Knelson's idea of shooting swimmers who push off right in front of you. At first I thought this action was a bit drastic, but on reflection, Knelson has it about right.

knelson
September 29th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by aquageek
Either that, or he was washing his hair with KY.

Is this guy's nickname "Slick" by any chance?

aquageek
September 29th, 2005, 01:23 PM
A couple of months ago a girl at our club was cutting her boyfriend's hair in the showers

Co-ed showers? Nice!

Meeshe
September 29th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by knelson
Is this guy's nickname "Slick" by any chance?

I bet you Slick is also the guy with bad BO that stinks up the pool. I also get annoyed when people and their bad cologne/perfume jump in the pool.

jswim
September 29th, 2005, 02:21 PM

ok, I don't do this normally, but I don't understand why it's so gross?

or at least no more gross than say... shaving? or washing nasty oils and germs and muck off of your body in the shower?

Fishgrrl
September 29th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Jswim....

I don't know; I'm sure it's just me.... :)

dorothyrde
September 29th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Here's my list:

People who start the warm up too early (like 5 min. before the top of the hour), so they finish before you do and move on to the next set...

Uh-oh, I am always an early person and don't like to wait for everyone else<who are usually late>, although I just stretch in the time it takes everyone else to finish not move to the next set<unless the coach wants me to>

brains07666
September 29th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Wow, I see this has become a very popular topic. Few more observations:

(a) For many of the reasons mentioned earlier (by all of us), I prefer to practice 'open water' during that part of the year when I can. So I'm only now coming back to the pool to all these annoyances.

(b) I really can't afford my own 25M pool, so like many others here, I use a "Y" type facility that has some masters members and some water exercisers, and some general recreational users.

(c) I'm pretty sure that even the various masters users together could not afford to build & maintain the pool, ourselves, so we're stuck with the rest of the public. I suspect that some of the folks we don't appreciate are in fact giving more $$ to support the place than we are.

(d) So even if we find certain people or behaviours annoying to us, I don't think that some of the more drastic 'solutions' posted are very practical.

(e) And there are also "annoyances" in open water. But if they're human ones, at least it's usually possible to keep away from them.

Just my two cents, this time.

Dennis

SwiminONandON
September 29th, 2005, 03:40 PM
When I swim on my own which is all too rare I usually get my own lane, and if all the lanes are full I wait ... If I am swimming and all the lanes are full and I see someone coming I immediately start doing a fly set ... I don't share lanes with non-swimmers well ...

art_z
September 29th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by brains07666
(c) I'm pretty sure that even the various masters users together could not afford to build & maintain the pool, ourselves, so we're stuck with the rest of the public. I suspect that some of the folks we don't appreciate are in fact giving more $$ to support the place than we are.

(d) So even if we find certain people or behaviours annoying to us, I don't think that some of the more drastic 'solutions' posted are very practical.

I'm sure some of the people I drive with on the highway everyday pay more in taxes that I do for road maintenance. That doesnt give them the right to cut me off, park their car in the middle of a highway, or drive 20 mph in the passing lane. All actions that will result in fines from the police. Since the lifeguards are the police of the pool, and since for the most part, they care more about watching the hair grow on their arm than what is actually going on in the pool, creative measures need to be taken to have people behave properly. If users of a pool can't abide by common sense rules and share the facilities with everyone the way they were designed, and if the authorities in the matter don't care, then these individuals need to have their behavoir corrected in other ways.

There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING, more frustrating, than having 6 lanes, each with 1 swimmer, 5 of them filled with "non" swimmers doing their thing, you in your lane busting out a set of 10x200, and having some individual hop in your lane, start swimming down the middle, elementary backstroke, or stop in the middle of the pool to talk to the life guard to complain the the water, at 90 degrees, is too cold, and then look at you like you just killed their dog when you bump into them or make them bob about from your wake. People don't use their common sense.

If I walked into a pool, as a novice, and saw 5 lanes of people shuffling about, and 1 lane with a guy swimming fast, doing flip turns, etc, i'd make my way to one of the other 5 lanes.
I ALWAYs share a lane, when someone comes and asks if they can share the lane. As long as we can split it so I get my half and they get theirs and they know the rules, you stay on that side, I stay on this side, otherwise, you are likely to get hurt (and I dont mean that in a "I'll punch you in the face manner", but rather, "if we collide you will probably be really hurt" manner.

See, its all common sense, something that apparently is lacking at most aquatic facilities.

jswim
September 29th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Jswim....

I don't know; I'm sure it's just me.... :)

lol, no, I also have friends who think it's gross.. I never thought it was gross but wondered if someone new something I didn't or if it was just a personal thing.. ;)

ps.. This among other reasons is why it's probably a very good idea to get a pair of flip flops for the public showers and locker rooms. :rolleyes:

Matt S
September 29th, 2005, 04:31 PM
The perenial discussion thread. Let's see if I can cut to the chase on the "highlights" of this discussion:
- Slow swimmers, water aerobs, uncontrolled children, and heck, open lap swimming in general sucks. Serious lap swimmers, defined by velocity, should have priority during open lap swimming.
- Actually, all the people above have just as much right to the pool as anyone else. The people who really suck are those with poor manners and/or lane etiquette. If you want to swim fast, find a masters team to join.
- No, you're wrong. I can't/won't find a masters team that fits into the miniscule opening in my busy schedule half as well as the open lap time. I am more worthy and all other pool users should bow down to my priorities, and you suck for questioning me.
- No, actually you suck for your poor manners in this discussion thread, etc. etc.
- Various other recriminations; sometimes capital P Party politics manage to ge dragged in. Lots of asides and digressions signifying very little. Eventually, the combatants lose interest or are offended enough to quit reading the thread, and like an outbreak of Ebola, the discussion burns itself out.

Have I missed anything?

Matt

hmlee
September 29th, 2005, 04:33 PM
My own lack of self-confidence....and being sick.

aquageek
September 29th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Matt S
Have I missed anything?

Matt

I think you missed noodlers.

dorothyrde
September 29th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by aquageek
I think you missed noodlers.

That just goes without saying.

newmastersswimmer
September 29th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Dude, I'm not exactly sure who your directing your comments too....but I take some offense to them if they are at all targeted towards my posting....Are you saying I don't have the right to complain about kids who are clearly disturbing the lap swimmers even though they have thier own recreational spot set aside for them??....and all the while thier parents sit and watch and do nothing....come on dude....I'm not following your logic here....sure the public pools are for everyone ....but there are also specifications and rules set forth by each pool and all patrons should abide by them....i.e. I don't go over to the recreational side and start deliberately messing with the kids playing there....Graham pointed out that the lap lanes at his pool are clearly marked so that everyone knows which lane is the fastest lane....so are you saying that the guy in question there had every right to swim 2:00 plus per lenth in that fast lane?....Maybe I'm just misunderstanding your posting or something b/c I have to admit that I'm a little baffled by it.

Newmastersswimmer

Meeshe
September 29th, 2005, 05:52 PM
I remember when I was a kid and was dropped off at the country club pool all day. I knew not to disturb the lap swimmers. The lifeguards would kick the kids who did out of the pool and they learned fast. Who wants to play tennis instead of swim? Not that group.

The aquaerobian who decided to disturb my swimming instead of walking, around the pool deck, to his aerobics lane was not a punk kid. I donít think the guards could kick that guy out of the pool, but they should. How funny would that be! Youíre outta here! Go play racquetball.

Zirconium
September 29th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Have you ever considered what the other "slow" swimmers could think about you? Well, they think they are in their perfect legitimate rights and actually, YOU are the annoyance of the lane.

Once a while I got kicked in the leg or abs by a slow breaststroke swimmer in front. Once, I was certain that the man kicked me purposely.

I would never understand the reason why a slow swimmer chooses the faster lane. It is so frequent that now I get used to it. The fast lane "magnet" effect can be sometimes so powerful that the better lane is actually the medium lane (less crowded).

Other irritations:

- Swimmers with a very strong body smell. Unfortunately, it's not the agreable lady fragrance. His is suffocating and the guy rests very often at the shallow end. I have to rest on the deep end to keep some distance.

- People who swim 20% of their pool time. The remaining 80% is standing daydreaming at the pool end.

Sabretooth Tiger
September 29th, 2005, 07:40 PM
To Newmastersswimmer:

Not knowing Matt personally, I cannot speak for him, but my best guess is that the point he was trying to make is that we've read these same complaints/moans/gripes/etc. periodically on these boards over the years, the old "Same Sh** Different Day" story . . . that they serve no real purpose . . . do not educate anyone . . . do not solve any problems . . . are completely predictable . . . and he was just trying to (in a clever and non-offensive way) to cut to the chase and bring this thread to a quiet close.

So Matt, how close am I?

carl botterud

and so that I don't seem like a total spoil sport, here are things that annoy me:

Pools that are too hot
Pools that are too cold
Pools that are dirty
Pools that are crowded
Pools that are shallow
Dirty locker rooms
Dirty showers
Cold Showers
High taxes
The price of gas
Rigid, unquestioning, uncritical political dogma from either side
Racism
Sexism
Poverty
Pollution
Global warming
Anna Nicole Smith
TV Commercials
Backstroke
Christmas music in any month other than December
Jellyfish
Brussel sprouts
Yardwork
Hip pain (until I get my new one)
Late bloomers who complain too much
Early bloomers who complain too much
Complainers
Whiners
Gripers
people who don't agree with me
cheap wine
warm beer
gas barbecues (real men use charcoal)
anything pierced other than an ear or two
people who lie or cheat
the conditions that caused the cancellation of the Waikiki Roughwater
getting up at 5 a.m. to swim and lift (which I do anyway . . . sometimes not as regularly as I should)
did I mention brussel sprouts?

swimr4life
September 29th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Mean people annoy me!! "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!!"

Hawaiiwoman
September 29th, 2005, 09:07 PM
"things that annoy me: the conditions that caused the cancellation of the Waikiki Roughwater"

Oh man, don't get me started on this one. I was there this year, what a joke! There was a little current, but not enough to warrant canceling! Some of the Aussies swam it right after they cancelled...under an hour! They have to rename it the Waikiki CALMwater swim!

Sabretooth Tiger
September 29th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Well, in fairness to the organizers, 2003 was quite the debacle and there is no way that they could afford a repeat. It was very fortunate that no one was lost. I think that the coast guard and local water safety officials pulled the plug this year(just a guess).

You'll recall that they were going to delay the start for about an hour until the tide switched and then cancelled about 20-30 minutes later. I'm guessing that having the lifeguards, paddlers, coast guard stand by and be available for the race longer into the day became problematic.

And the current was very serious at the time that we should have started, as bad as in 2003 if not worse. I'm sure it changed around 10 when the tide changed.

Stuff happens.

carl

newmastersswimmer
September 29th, 2005, 10:42 PM
o.k.....I see that many of the complaints fall into those categories you mentioned....and I agree that Matt S was probably thinking along the lines you spelled out......but my interpretation of the comment Matt made was that he was more or less addressing everyone here who posted a complaint on this thread??....but I could be wrong about that I admit....I personally don't think that every complaint made on this thread is so predictable and that nothing can be learned from any of them.....I think some of them are legitimate gripes that might be different than the so called "standard gripes"....and someone could potentially offer good advice about it.....for example: Graham started the thread with a particular story about some guy at his pool and I proposed a possible explanation about it other than the guy just being inconsiderate....I also didn't know that others also get bombarded with toys and kickboards during lap swim as a victim of some kiddie game....but I do think it is a problem that needs to be addressed where ever it is happening.....I can't speak for everyone with a complaint here....but we were all prompted to share annoying stories like Graham's in this thread...It was the very premise of the thread in fact....so if someone like Matt S doesn't like hearing these complaints...then why even read the thread at all since it's so obvious what the thread is going to contain?.....I guess I could understand Matt's point of view better if these complaints came out of nowhere on a thread that started off about something else.....but in this situation, I think it was a little offensive to have Matt come in and start slamming on everyone.....but don't get me wrong, I appreciate your posting in trying to explain your take on Matt's posting.

newmastersswimmer

Conniekat8
September 29th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by botterud
did I mention brussel sprouts?

Paris Hilton ;)

Conniekat8
September 30th, 2005, 12:02 AM
-Fast people in slow lanes
-Slow people in fast lanes
-Fast one on your heels passing you on the turn :rolleyes:
-Two people chitchatting crowding out the entire end of a 9 foot wide lane - I can never figure out how they manage to do that, but they do!
-Those wo chitchat so loud you can't hear the coach call the set.
-Someone WAY too cheery and talkative at the 5AM workout (I just don't do idle chitchat at 5AM, all my energy is spent just getting to the workout)
-People putting thir fins on and off several times in the middle of 8x100, one minute you're running into them, the next they're riding your heels.
-Those who whine when a set is called.

PeirsolFan
September 30th, 2005, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by dorothyrde
Swimming backwards and upside down aint easy. There is no T on the pool bottom to look at to know when to turn and you can't tilt your head slightly upwards to see the wall coming.

If you're lucky the ceiling will have beams you can try to follow while waiting for the flags and then counting for the turn. Outside, there are no beams. Because you don't breathe to your side in backstroke, there's no way to gauge your distance from the ropes.

Free is easy to swim straight with a black line on the bottom to refer to. Backstrokers are taught to use peripheral vision and that doesn't help much especially if you have poor eyesight and/or bad goggles (most aren't made with back in mind).

If you're just learning then all of that can be extra difficult. I'm lucky to get lanes to myself. Sometimes when sharing becomes necessary I tell the person that watching out for them, flags, ropes - it's overwhelming. Some people accept it, others flee

There are some people who can swim back pretty straight, but even Natalie Coughlin veers wildly in competition. I don't personally feel backstroke swimmers should lap swim with freestyle swimmers.

PeirsolFan
September 30th, 2005, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by Zirconium
Once a while I got kicked in the leg or abs by a slow breaststroke swimmer in front. Once, I was certain that the man kicked me purposely.
Had that happen to me and it got real ugly after that... Which is sad. Really sad. A lifeguard did get involved, but he's an exception it seems. The pool is not my treadmill and just a place to "workout". I absolutely positively love water and swimming.

That would be my list: bad attitudes and aggressive behavior. It takes me back to something Ernie Maglischio (sp?) said years ago about the 2 reasons people swim. People in group #1 have personal goals and really love the water. People in group #2 have poor self-esteem and major insecurites.

Graham Short
September 30th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Quote:

Heather said... "If I am swimming and all the lanes are full and I see someone coming I immediately start doing a fly set ... I don't share lanes with non-swimmers well ..."

I do the same, but feel terribly guilty about doing so. Many times I've been at the pool and there has been just one swimmer in each lane. I've noticed that very often I become a sort of magnet to the new person who walks on to the deck. They always choose my lane.

The swimmers in the other lanes visibly swim better and become more relaxed when they see the newcomer has left them in peace.

I can see 'Zirconium's' point..."Have you ever considered what the other "slow" swimmers could think about you? Well, they think they are in their perfect legitimate rights and actually, YOU are the annoyance of the lane."

I was in the lane this morning with five other swimmers. Two of them were very slow, and clearly in the wrong lane. All swimmers did their usual continual 40 or 50 laps before going to work. OK, I understand that they have a right to do this, but by the same token, (us/you) faster swimmers should also have the right to do their own thing. I had to keep stopping to allow for the very slow ones and for those slow swimmers who pushed off just when I was about to. I thought to myself, "There's a guy in America who reads the discussion page on the USMS website who would shoot you for doing what you've just done!"

As for strong body smells, I've never noticed this, but we did have one guy who trained with us who was fond of eating loads of garlic. Now that breaks all records in the annoyance factor when you are all at the same end of the pool, mid-set, gasping for breath together.

swimlong
September 30th, 2005, 12:37 PM
I try to get along with whoever is in my lane. I figure the more swimmers the better. And those little old ladies with flowered caps? One day I might be one, and I hope some young (middle aged) thug doesn't ruin my day by sneering at me or worse kicking me...

I often have to swim during public length swim, and ours is a very narrow laned 20m pool (only 4 lanes). I don't swim fly unless there's room (ie only me or maybe one other in the lane) as I don't want to accidently hit people. But I do get disappointed if I can't get fly in...

What annoys me? Our pool has NO length swimming on Friday, Saturday or Sundays. :(

Rowdy
September 30th, 2005, 01:17 PM
One of the lifeguards at the Y I periodically swim at stops me in the middle of the set so that he can tell me some one is joining my lane (so annoying!). The person is never very fast and should be in a different lane. Like the one right next to the one I'm in that only has one floater in it.

I never deviate from my planned workout and generally don't mind sharing the lane as long as the person I am sharing with can actually stay on their side. One thing I don't get is that look of horror when I start doing fly and the stubborn refusal to move. If you think I might hit you or the wake it too much, move. I always do one arm fly when passing people just so I won't hit them.

Common sense, it would seem, tends to dissolve in water.

I love swimming and I love the water. God bless anyone who wants to work out in the water. Its the best place in the world! Just don't forget your manners. They are more important than your goggles.

aquageek
September 30th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Rowdy
One of the lifeguards at the Y I periodically swim at stops me in the middle of the set so that he can tell me some one is joining my lane (so annoying!). The person is never very fast and should be in a different lane. Like the one right next to the one I'm in that only has one floater in it.

Nothing annoys me more than a swimmer of any calibre who thinks they are entitled to a lane to him/herself. If you are swimming up and down the middle of the lane, the lifeguard has every right to stop you and tell you to move over for someone else to share your lane. Why should the lifeguard be forced to wait for your to finish a set to enforce common pool courtesies? What if your set is 2500 y/m? You think someone should stand around for 30-40 minutes while you hog a lane?

Something else annoying is when I get to the pool and it is full of two people per lane standing at the end of the lane talking. I typically will tell them I'm getting in and we're gonna start circling.

Rowdy
September 30th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Sorry Geek, you miss understand or I stated it poorly.

I don't mind another swimmer joing me ,and I belive I stated that I don't mind sharing a lane. However, I belive the swimmer should be the one to initate the lane sharing. Aside from the fact that the gaurd usually bonks me with something to get my attention instead of saying something. AND I never swim down the middle of the lane.

dorothyrde
September 30th, 2005, 02:59 PM
There are a lot of people who are afraid to initiate sharing a lane, and it is the guards job to help them.

There is a lot of guard bashing on this thread. I have seen swimmers yell at the guard for things that are quite out of their control, such as the swim team taking 2/3 of the pool during lap swim time. The guard does not do the pool schedule, they guard. When intimated in such a manner all the time by forceful swimmers, can you imagine why in their time being paid 6.83 per hour, they tend to let things ride?

Of course, having to wake the guard up 3 times in a shift is bad!

Guvnah
September 30th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Rowdy

Is this just to tell you that someone else will be splitting the lane with you? Or to tell you that you will now be circling...

When I am the only person in a lane, I do not swim in the middle. Based on various factors, if I had to split the lane then one side would be my preference over another, so I just start out on that side and stay there. If someone wants to share my lane, it should be clear which side will be theirs, and I don't expect to be stopped just so that other person can tell me. (Sometimes politeness extended to me is annoying, regardless of intent.)

Most times at my pool all the swimmers know the routine. You don't have to stop the other swimmer. Just get in the other side of the lane and once the swimmer who was already in the lane has done one turn at your end, you can assume s/he knows you're there and off you go!

When one swimmer is in the lane, and if he is swimming in the center, and if I am going to share that lane, I get in the water and stand to the side. Almost always he will turn in the center of the lane, but move over to the other side. And if he prefers the side I chose, he'll stop and ask me to switch, and I gladly do so.

No need to stop the other guy.

But if the new swimmer is the THIRD to enter the lane (causing the need for circling) then the protocol has to be different. I think each existing swimmer needs a personal contact to make sure everyone knows they'll be circling. There can't be guesswork. Everyone needs to know if the circle will be clockwise or counterclockwise. Maybe assess individual capabilities to determine order. Make it clear that if someone touches your toes, let the other guy pass. Stuff like that.

Once circle is established in a lane, new swimmers should be able to hop in without stopping any of the existing swimmers.

Just the way I see it anyway.

Rowdy
September 30th, 2005, 04:41 PM
I did not mean to guard bash or insinuate that I deserve my own lane or ....

I was simply trying to agree with earlier posts that people should swim with others of like ability. I don't understand the fast lane magnet. If there are people in all the lanes doesn't it make sense to get into one with someone who is more compatible? I feel bad when passing someone and knowing that I generate a big wake. Therefore I tend to swim with people who are more compatible if I am joining a lane. If someone joins me I am fine with that. I always swim on one side as an invitation to anyone who needs a place to swim. Just hop in and wait for me to come back. I'll stop and we can talk about who swims where. If we circle or split.

The instance that I am recalling that annoyed me is when the guard hit me on the head with something instead of saying something to me. This was not a kid it was an adult. If it was a high school guard it probably wouldn't have bothered me as much. None of the other lanes were doubled up and the woman looked almost terrified to be swimming with me. It appeared that the guard was assigning people to lanes. Which is fine, but the peoples' comfort/preference should be taken into account. Did she not like sharing a lane with me? Probably not. I was doing an IM workout and she was swimming breaststroke with her head out of the water at a fairly sedate pace. Also, she was swimming in the middle of the lane and I had to keep hitting the lane line with my body to not run into her or get kicked (I would have said something, but I was afraid to offend her or make her feel like I thought she didn't belong--which was not the case). It was not the most enjoyable time in the pool that day.

I have shared a lane with the little old ladies wearing the flower caps, with swimmers who are my speed, as well as ones who are faster.

I am not a lane hog or snob (or at least try not to be). I have a great deal of respect for all people who get in and make an effort.

I am sorry if my previous posts (or this one) made it seem that way.

PeirsolFan
September 30th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Maybe we need another thread: What is your pool's etiquette?

Our senior lifeguards make well above minimum with full benefit packages, 401k, and domestic partnership. Rules posted for lap swimming actually say: if you have a problem talk to a lifeguard. So, you know, I expect them to do something.

Supposedly, if you are repeatedly passed you should move to the next slowest lane. I don't recall ever having seen anyone do this, but recommend involving a lifeguard if you are the passing party and someone isn't speeding up or moving to another lane.

I've watched guys stand at the end of a lane, express frustration that someone is swimming too slowly in their lane, and openly plot to "take him out." That's very disturbing and not in the spirit of good swimming sportsmanship.

Most of my swims are with elderly, disabled, and aerobic people. A little kindness has gone a long way in the free area. They don't try to chat me up very often, they move to give me some room, and they cheer me on! In return, I don't splash them, intimidate them, or hog the area. :)

BruceGianniny
September 30th, 2005, 10:02 PM
how 'bout old guys who can't stay on their own side of the lane? Wanderers... Annoying??

Rowdy
September 30th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Only when they swim right into my face and jam my goggles in my eye.

But that can be forgiven. Especially a fellow Chesapeaker!

F'ueco
October 2nd, 2005, 11:17 PM
I dislike it when I get stopped so the person can ask if I will split the lane.

Normally I swim on one side of the lane. If you see this, just jump in and make sure I have a chance to see you. And don't circle swim unless there are more than two people in the lane (and everyone is equally fast). I once collided with someone who though I should be circle-swimming with only him in the lane. And he was going a good 3 or 4 seconds slower per lap than I was.

If someone is hogging the lane, just jump in; wait until they have done one turn on your side of the pool and start swimming. If they hit you then, it's their fault.

dorothyrde
October 3rd, 2005, 06:57 AM
Definately make sure they see you! I once collided with a fellow that jumped in right after I started a breast to free split on IM. I had no idea he was directly behind me. He was swimming free, to my breast and apparently had to be practically on my toes. My emphasis was to work on fast tight turns. Well I came off the breast turn, hard into a streamline, and smack. Stunned us both.
His comment was, I did not know you were going to come back so fast. I just told him to be sure and let a person know if you were going to share!

Graham Short
October 3rd, 2005, 09:22 AM
Dorothy's point about the lifeguards not being too concerned because, after all, they are paid a pittance, also applies to this side of the Atlantic. This lies at the heart of the problem of why poor lane etiquette is left to continue without any guidance from the deck. Our lifeguards are asked to work unsociable hours with little pay. They are often verbally abused by the public, and generally bored with their job, so I suppose we shouldn't really expect them to take an interest in the 'finer points' of swimming that we, as masters, take for granted.

However, this shouldn't excuse those swimmers who are much slower than those in the lane they have joined, and those who hog the centre of the lane, and those infuriating swimmers who push off in front of you when you are half-way through a turn... etc. etc.

Some members have mentioned the old ladies wearing flowery caps. We have those over here too.... flowery caps and old ladies.

Small world isn't it?

dorothyrde
October 3rd, 2005, 09:36 AM
LOL. I do think even though poorly paid, they still should do their job, but it is sometimes hard for a person 16-17 years old to stand up to an adult. Especially an uncooperative one. And yes, I am a little biased, my son is one of those 17 year old guards, but even before he was one, I had pity for the guards when I saw patrons ream them for things that were not of their control. I guess it means there are rude people everywhere.

Kevin in MD
October 3rd, 2005, 10:22 AM

I would never understand the reason why a slow swimmer chooses the faster lane. It is so frequent that now I get used to it. The fast lane "magnet" effect can be sometimes so powerful that the better lane is actually the medium lane (less crowded).

The magnet effect is very simple to explain. A swimmer walks up to the pool and has three lanes to choose from. They are labeled but there is no recourse for choosing the wrong lane. If the swimmer goes to the lane with people slower than he is then HE has to pass people making it harder on him. If he picks the lane with people faster than he is, then YOU are the one doing the passing, making it harder on YOU. I think this clears it up.

I swim at two different pools, one of them is meadowbrook where the NBAC, Michael Phelps and Katie Hoff train(ed). Even there the lap swimmers are mostly insanely slow, I like to watch the stroke technique. Some of them are best described as doing "The Humpty Hump" (You've got it down when you appear to be insane.)

What I'm getting at in a roundabout way is i have never been to a pool and the other people in the lane were the same speed as me. They are usually slower, sometimes faster but never the same.

Graham Short
October 3rd, 2005, 10:38 AM
Quote:

"I would never understand the reason why a slow swimmer chooses the faster lane."

I once plucked up the courage to ask a very slow swimmer if he felt he would be able to keep up with the swimmers in the fast lane, which he'd chosen to join.

He was quite indignant and said, "Huh, I'm much faster than those in the next lane." he clearly wasn't. Maybe he just wanted to show the rest of the pool that he was good enough to swim with the 'fast boys'. He was continually overtaken yet wouldn't move down a lane or two, even though the other lanes started to empty. He annoyed everyone in the lane, yet their comments, called out while resting at the end of the pool, washed right over him. He'd have had a less stressful ride in the slower lanes but chose to stay where he was.

Guvnah
October 3rd, 2005, 12:29 PM
Quote:

"I would never understand the reason why a slow swimmer chooses the faster lane."

I once plucked up the courage to ask a very slow swimmer if he felt he would be able to keep up with the swimmers in the fast lane, which he'd chosen to join.

He was quite indignant and said, "Huh, I'm much faster than those in the next lane." he clearly wasn't. Maybe he just wanted to show the rest of the pool that he was good enough to swim with the 'fast boys'. He was continually overtaken yet wouldn't move down a lane or two, even though the other lanes started to empty. He annoyed everyone in the lane, yet their comments, called out while resting at the end of the pool, washed right over him. He'd have had a less stressful ride in the slower lanes but chose to stay where he was.

Guys like that, well, you just have to start grabbing their foot and pulling them back to pass them.

craiglll@yahoo.com
October 5th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Swimming in a pool that is 86 degrees!!!!