PDA

View Full Version : College Mascots

Paul Smith
September 29th, 2005, 12:59 PM
"NCAA upholds Fighting Sioux as abusive nickname" (North Dakota)

- As seen in todays USA Today

Apparently appeals we're granted to Florida State, Utah & Central Michigan.

PETA has now asked that the Unirsity of South Carolina "Game Cocks" change their name as it promotes animal cruelty.

Notre Dame Fighting Irish however got a pass.......

What's next.........PC taken to far here?

A.K.
September 29th, 2005, 01:17 PM
FSU got a pass because they have worked closely with the Seminoles and have a good working relationship that respects the Seminoles.

This endorsement is coming from a Cane, who by the way our mascot is an Ibis eventhough we are called the Hurricanes.

Bethcha can't guess why UM picked the Ibis as the mascot.

Frank Thompson
September 29th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Mr Real Smith:

There was a thread that was started last year about great swimmers from the past. Someone brought up Wade King from South Carolina, who took second in the NCAA Div I championships in the 100 fly in 1988 and 1989 to the first place winner Jay Mortensen from Stanford. In fact I believe Sam Perry works with Jay now or did last year. Anyway, Wade used to drive around with a South Carolina bumper sticker on his vehicle that read "you can't lick our cocks" with a picture of the masot in school colors. I think for this reason they should change the mascot.

Paul Smith
September 29th, 2005, 03:49 PM
OK Mr. forum moderator......where are you on this one! Frank, your a VERY bad boy!

Sad to say I just hard that UCSB wa hoping that the Mexican government would protest the "Gaucho" mascot so they could get a real one........but no such luck!

By the way.....maybe PETA will protest Stanford so they can switch over to the "Tree's"?!

Frank Thompson
September 29th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Actually I was just copying what the Arm started on that thread last year. I figured since it was ok then, its ok now. From my understanding, Wade was kind of a crazy guy and he would do something like this. All the reason to change the mascot.

Peter Cruise
September 29th, 2005, 04:35 PM
I really think USC shouldn't have been named after a condom...

Matt S
September 29th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Riddle me this swim fans,

Why is it that when a University decides its mascot or nickname is not suitable, they usually pick something totally lame to replace it. Stanford used to be the Indians. OK, a little insensitive, but you're telling me the most aggressive replacement you can imagine is the CARDINAL?! (Don't mess with me man! I've got an artist's pallette and I'm not afraid to use it!) Hey Marquette, what the heck is a Golden Eagle anyway? The little statue on top of the flagpole? Ooh, that's intimidating; I'm so scared. You might beat me severely with gilded statuary.

The other thing I don't get is the most flagrantly insensitive nickname out there and where the team is from. I've lived in DC metro area. It is one of the most PC places on the face of the planet. How the heck does that area call its football team the "Redskins"? We can argue about whether the names Seminoles, Aztecs or Warriors are demeaning or disrespectful. "Redskins"?! Good gracious, that's on par with the n-word. And WASHINGTON residents actually DEFEND that nickname and refuse to change it!

And while we're on the subject of Washington football, can someone please explain to me the idea behind the cross-dressing crew? Yeah, I understand the reference to their tradition of excellent offensive linemen, so the overweight men wearing pig snouts (i.e. "the hogs") makes perfect sense. But, what's up with the dresses and the purses? Are they making some kind of reference to the secret lives of Washington's football players? Aren't these people supposedly the ones who LIKE these players?

Just asking,
Matt

Sam Perry
September 29th, 2005, 07:58 PM
I still do work with Jay, haven't seen him in a while but he had back surgery last summer if any one cares. On to the topic, my question is when is PETC going to do about USC Trojans?

PETC = People for the Ethical Treatment of Condoms...

P.S. When we swam aginst South Carolina in the 80's the team had T-Shirts that looked like the Hard Rock Cafe shirts. Instead of Hard Rock Cafe, they had Hard **** Swimming. I thought it was funny then but now in the age of PC who knows?

pmbchill
September 29th, 2005, 08:04 PM
I love Ohio State. I swam for and graduated from OSU but really...... the buckeye?! A poisonous nut is not my idea of a great mascot.

Swimmer Bill
September 29th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Rhode Island School of Design, where I studied photography, didn't have an intercollegiate athletic program -- but it did have one intramural hockey team. The team was called the "Nads" and the team cheer was "Go Nads!"

True story.

breastroker
September 29th, 2005, 10:41 PM
You guys should be attacking the mascott of US Santa Cruz, "Sammy the Slug" :D :D

That is just so wrong:mad: Where is PETA and the ethical treatment of banana slugs when you need them?

They have a beautiful 50 meter pool that PMS often uses for championships, but no college swim teams

dorothyrde
September 29th, 2005, 11:03 PM
This thread hits very close to home, sigh University of Illinois is on the list.

msgrupp
September 29th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Kent State (Ohio) is the Golden Flashes. Their mascot used to be "Grog" (a hairy looking kind of creature) but they also use a bird. Either an Eagle or something else.

Bowling Green (Ohio) has a mascot of a Falcon. They are known as the falcons.

At least no problem with Native Americans or other groups.

Sam Perry
September 30th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Maybe if PETA went after TCU to change their mascot the "Horned Frog" (an animal who sparks fear and trembling in all of us) wouldn't be extinct today! Where is PETA when you need them??

craiglll@yahoo.com
September 30th, 2005, 03:36 PM
I went to Knox College. We were the Old Siwash. It was taken out of a novel written by an alum. Prior to that we were nothing. Now we are Prairie Fire. Old Siwash means sort of "Old drunken Indidan Bum." NOt good!

Matt S
September 30th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Wayne,

Hold the phone! A 50 meter pool and no swim team?! That, Ladies & Gentlemen, is really JUST PLAIN WRONG!

Matt

Dennis Tesch
October 3rd, 2005, 11:17 AM
I do think we react a great deal too much in this great country of ours. All we do is react, react , react....

Aside from that, I know that Utah and Florida were given passes on their mascots names due to their relationships and support from the indian tribes they represent. My understanding is that North Dakota doesn't have that same level of support as the other school. I'm sure the PC people still feel that Utah, Florida, etc are out of line.

Since someone brought up the South Carolina "Game Cocks", what about the Oregon State "Beavers". Not only does this mascot strike terror in their opponents minds, but I'm sure their opponents use the term "beaver" not related to a dam making rodent. Why isn't "NOW" or other female organizations protesting this school....

I'm sure we can come up with many more...

michaelmoore
October 6th, 2005, 12:32 AM
You guys should be attacking the mascott of US Santa Cruz, "Sammy the Slug"

They have a beautiful 50 meter pool that PMS often uses for championships, but no college swim teams.

Better tell Kim Mulsch the coach of the womens DIII swim team. UCSC has a mens and womans DIII swim team. Most of the profit from the Pacific Masters swim meets held there go to the swim teams.

michael

breastroker
October 6th, 2005, 09:00 AM
There was nothing on their web site about swimming teams, only the water polo team.

Thanks for correcting the info.

GO SAMMY:D

craiglll@yahoo.com
October 6th, 2005, 11:58 AM
I have been swimming in Urbana, IL at the Indoor Aquatic Center. I noticed that the high school girl's coach puts a picture of a beaver onthe wall each day and names it for a girl who has done very well at pratice.

Sabretooth Tiger
October 6th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Here is the link to UC Santa Cruz's swim team:

http://www.goslugs.com/teams/swimming/swim.html

Ken Classen
October 6th, 2005, 03:09 PM
My college swim team's nick name was the "Toughukkers" say it real fast three times. That's what we did as our team cheer. The official name for the school was the "Roadrunners" Metropolitan State College of Denver. But we thought that just plain boring. So how have times changed since the early 80's. We used to go to 3.2% beer happy hour after Friday afternoon practice with our coach! Back then, you could drink 3.2 beer at age 18 in Colorado. You say only 3.2 beer, trust me it works on a empty stomach just after swimming 6000 or 7000 yards. We were only NAIA but we had fun.

Matt S
October 6th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Craig,

Speaking as an attorney, I sincerely hope that for the sake of the high school coach's career, to say nothing of the school district's account that pays for law suit judgments, that the official mascot for boys and girls teams at this high school is the beaver. If not, this has sexual harassment written all over it. (It might possibly pass muster if the coach is a women, and all her swimmers back a statement from her that the use of the beaver refers to that animal's manic work habits, and not - ahem - anything else.)

Matt

craiglll@yahoo.com
October 7th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Matt S
Craig,

Speaking as an attorney, I sincerely hope that for the sake of the high school coach's career, to say nothing of the school district's account that pays for law suit judgments, that the official mascot for boys and girls teams at this high school is the beaver. If not, this has sexual harassment written all over it. (It might possibly pass muster if the coach is a women, and all her swimmers back a statement from her that the use of the beaver refers to that animal's manic work habits, and not - ahem - anything else.)

Matt

Matt,

The mascot is a tiger. The coach is a woman but none of the girls have signed anyu thing. I mentioned it to my childhood friend whose husband is onthe school board. They didn't think anything of it. Another person mentioned that it means that the girl swims well.

I thought it was really bad news. I've mentioned it to several people and no one evens thinks of the other thought. I was really surprised.

craiglll@yahoo.com
October 7th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Ken Classen
My college swim team's nick name was the "Toughukkers" say it real fast three times. That's what we did as our team cheer. The official name for the school was the "Roadrunners" Metropolitan State College of Denver. But we thought that just plain boring. So how have times changed since the early 80's. We used to go to 3.2% beer happy hour after Friday afternoon practice with our coach! Back then, you could drink 3.2 beer at age 18 in Colorado. You say only 3.2 beer, trust me it works on a empty stomach just after swimming 6000 or 7000 yards. We were only NAIA but we had fun.

Where I went to college, now has a rule that no staff can drink alcohol where students are present. They've had terrible times with this at first in restaurants & bars. Now, I think it is only together as a group.

Ken Classen
October 7th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Craig,

I know what I experienced in 1981, drinking with the coach, has completely changed today. My old school now prohibits that kind of fraternization. However the memory is a good one and I still have a great deal of respect for him. I currently coach masters at the University of Denver and their Varsity coaching staff is very professional and they would never go out drinking with there swimmers as a matter of course and by rule. Part of this is a cultural change. We were legal at age 18 and it was part of college life. It's now illegal at that age. At the time we actually had two 3.2% bars on campus. Additionally professors would routinely meet students at these bars have a beer with there student and discuss papers and projects. Again a different era.

dorothyrde
October 7th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by craiglll@yahoo.com
Matt,

The mascot is a tiger. The coach is a woman but none of the girls have signed anyu thing. I mentioned it to my childhood friend whose husband is onthe school board. They didn't think anything of it. Another person mentioned that it means that the girl swims well.

I thought it was really bad news. I've mentioned it to several people and no one evens thinks of the other thought. I was really surprised.

I know their coach really well, and I know a lot of the girls and their parents really well. This must have some decent meaning to them because I cannot see their coach allowing it otherwise. I CAN find out what it means.

craiglll@yahoo.com
October 8th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by dorothyrde
I know their coach really well, and I know a lot of the girls and their parents really well. This must have some decent meaning to them because I cannot see their coach allowing it otherwise. I CAN find out what it means.

Dorothy,

When I first saw it on the wall at the pool, I was really puzzled by it. I really believe it is the responsiblity of a coach to promote the team coming together for the same goal. But I think this is really off the course.

Ken,

For my freshman year, I went to DePauw in Indiana. Not only was the coach a real drinker but he was also the "housemother" for one of the fraternities. I life-gaurded for the faculty swim during lunch hour. Most of the professors only swam for a few minutes. But they all drank inthe faculty lunchroom and showed up at classes drunk. DePauw is very conservative socially but a very wild school. Then I went to Knox. It is very liberal. However, the coaches were very hands-off socially. But every reception had booze served. Now none. Knox's partying wasn't even close to the extreme scenes held at DePauw.

Knox has a spring holiaday called Flunk Day. At 5:30 am the bells go off & everything is cancelled. When I was there it was absolute mayhem. One year, I wouldn't help my friend get his girlfriend to the ER because my mom was a nurse at the hospital.

dorothyrde
October 9th, 2005, 06:03 PM
OK, I think I am wrong, and I think the UHS thing is raunchy. The person I asked who is in the know refused to tell me the what, but said it was not nice. HS kids often have an odd sense of humor, sigh.

craiglll@yahoo.com
October 10th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Dorothy,

I have talked to two guys who are "really close" to two girls on the team. If I understand it right, it has lots of meanings. It is very inappropriate regardless of the true meaning. also, they aer assigned things to bring to Friday night smoothie parties. I'm not sure but I think some could determine that since the girls are assigned to bring things and have to attend, it is a violation of IHSA rules.

dorothyrde
October 10th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Except all the swim teams have "mandantory parties", this is not just UHS. Same thing goes on at the other schools too. It is called team bonding. I think IHSA has a lot more on their hands besides girls being required to go to parties. Considering they were just sued by the private schools for weighting the enrollment for private schools in the playoff system.

pmbchill
October 10th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Team bonding? Mandatory parties? My HS swim team didn't have those. What did we do with all that free time?!

ALM
October 10th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Sorry, but I'm stuck back on the Slugs. Now I wish that I had made my university choice based solely on its mascot.

They have slug apparel - hats, shirts, even slippers.

Go to http://slugstore.ucsc.edu/, click on "Apparel".

I have a friend whose high school teams were the "Kewpies". As in Kewpie Dolls. I cracked up when he told me that and he gave me an odd look, like it had never occurred to him that it was a strange mascot.

cinc3100
October 11th, 2005, 12:13 AM
We know that they were not name for a condom. I think that USC started in the early part of the 20th century and so the Trojans were those of anicent Troy. That's why they have a guy dressed in armor and a helmet with a horse.

Michael Heather
October 16th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Scottsdale (AZ) Junior College's mascot is the artichoke. Do with that as you will. Perhaps it is a brand of condom?

craiglll@yahoo.com
October 17th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by dorothyrde
Except all the swim teams have "mandantory parties", this is not just UHS. Same thing goes on at the other schools too. It is called team bonding. I think IHSA has a lot more on their hands besides girls being required to go to parties. Considering they were just sued by the private schools for weighting the enrollment for private schools in the playoff system.

The Catholic school in the Quad Cities has a very unfair advantage against the other schools because it can draw from the entire Rock Island county. It detroys all of the other teams in its conference and then bloats about it. Galesburg is the smallest school in the Western Big 6. We used to be the biggest. WE play them in basketball & football. Their enrollment is smaller than ours yet they have larger teams. Their recruitment policy is outrageously discriminitory. They don't compete fairly so why should they be treated fairly.

Swimmer Bill
October 17th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Well, it looks like Rhode Island School of Design still has a hockey team called the "Nads" -- but now they apparently have a basketball team called the "Balls". It makes me wonder what name they would use if they started a women's volleyball team...

See attached pic.

Swimmer Bill
October 17th, 2005, 06:55 PM
...and the "Balls" logo...

cinc3100
October 19th, 2005, 01:19 AM
Well what about the Anteater- University of California at Irvine,I'm probably one of the few outside of California that knows that.

knelson
October 19th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Swimmer Bill
Well, it looks like Rhode Island School of Design still has a hockey team called the "Nads" -- but now they apparently have a basketball team called the "Balls". It makes me wonder what name they would use if they started a women's volleyball team...

I don't know what RISD's nickname should be, but I think David Byrne wearing "the big suit" would make a great mascot!