PDA

View Full Version : Looking to start a masters swimming program

Martin McD
October 1st, 2005, 04:38 PM
Hey Everyone!!

I am just starting a job as the Aquatics Director at the BLue Springs YMCA in Kansas City. We currently do not have masters swimming, but I was wanting to incorporate it, or something along those lines. We have had fitness partcipants want to expand their training to the pool. They want to swim as part of their workouts nothing serious. i was wondering if anyone had any starter workouts or simple workouts I could pass on to them until I get the program going. If any one has some advice I would be a great help.

Thanks!

dorothyrde
October 1st, 2005, 06:18 PM
Take a look at the work-out section of the forums, specifically the 3 guest coaches at the top. There are good solid work-outs posted there. Another suggestion is to make sure you have different tiers of work-outs so you don't discourage the slow swimmers, or bore the more advanced. I know our group had a coach who only wrote work-outs geared toward the advanced, and the slower swimmers expressed frustration to me about not ever being able to complete a work-out. Now we have levels.

Also, fitness swimmers hate to sacrifice their conditioning time for drills. However, drills and technique are important for improvement of swimming. What our group likes best is some drill and technique time, and then some harder swimming sets, that hopefully try to use what was learned in the drill. Older people and really thin swimmers tend to get really cold if the work-out is too much slow drill work.

Mel
October 1st, 2005, 08:38 PM
Hi Martin,

I am a Program Director for a YMCA and have worked with USMS to develop several masters programs throughout the country. Our YMCA has a very successful adult aquatic fitness program which includes fitness swimmers, triathletes, and competitive masters swimmers. I would like to talk to you please email me at goldsteinmel@sbcglobal.net or call me at 317-253-8289.

Mel

ALM
October 2nd, 2005, 09:59 PM
Hello, Martin,

I am the Registrar for Missouri Valley Masters Swimming; I live in Overland Park. I believe that one our LMSC officers swims at the Blue Springs Y.

Please contact me at AnnaLea@usms.org. I can give you some more information about Masters swimming in the KC area.

Anna Lea