PDA

View Full Version : Suiting question & Speed/Performance

Shark'sMom
October 4th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Hi New to Forum w/ question.....probably asked before in some way or another BUT i'll try anyway -

My son (2nd year swimmer, 9yo, broke a pool record in his first season) is in need of a new suit for the season.

He wants a Speedo racer and Speedo Jammers. I'm a divorced mom on a budget and I'm wondering about speed. These things don't affect your performance in any way, do they? He's going to get the same results based on his ability no matter if i spend $14 or $34 on a pair of racers, right? He thinks he needs the name brand speedos or TYRs but after shelling out yet another $140 for the season, plus even more on towels, goggles, deck shoes, personalized sweatshirts and all that..... you know how it is.......is it worth the extra expense? Does anybody have any feedback?

Thank you in advance!!!!!!!!!

Tina

laineybug
October 4th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Doesn't his team have a team suit? Buy him the cheap grab bag off brand suits for practice and a team suit he only wears at meets. I foot the cost of my DGD's swimming and that is the way we do it to save money... no need to buy expensive Speedos or TYRs for practice. I'll defer to some of the other posters on their opinion of whether or not the typical namebrand suit makes a difference in times.

Lainey

Shark'sMom
October 4th, 2005, 04:57 PM
thanks for your quick reply.

this year the team suit is a solid black speedo - style racer, and/or solid black jammers. they are asking parents to go get them on their own for some reason. last year it just seemed easier when the team ordered them for us and we just gave them the $, it was quite a savings ordering for a team with the discounts acquired - but it seems ordering an individual Speedo is quite expensive.

msgrupp
October 4th, 2005, 06:23 PM
What about getting together with some of the other parents and ordering in bulk the same suits? Some of the companies may give a discount.

Also--if it's a swim team with a non-profit status, there have to be officers of the club---they could do the ordering AND get the tax discount.

carriem
July 28th, 2006, 04:01 PM
ClubSwim makes a great jammer (http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/4246.htm). It's very cheap ($14.95) but is definitely on par with any of the major brands. Brand preference is usually based on style and fit, not quality. Buying something as simple as a solid black jammer is the perfect time to branch out to different brands. Because of its price and durability, you won't be making any sacrifices when purchasing a product like the ClubSwim jammer. Also, SwimOutlet.com offers quantity discounts on several team suits when ordering 12 or more. Getting together with the other swim parents seems like a great idea!

-Carrie

swimmore
August 6th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Try Ebay. I have found new swim suits and it may take a little time to get the right size.

But as a coach I would suggest he need not to get caught up in what everyone else is wearing at that age. I beat people in the bike at triathlons with a $200 bike against $4000.00 bikes. Its what powering the machine not the equipment all the time.

Good Luck!