PDA

View Full Version : stretching

art_z
October 6th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Any here stretch AFTER warm up? the team I train with does this, you do warm up, then you stretch for 5 minutes, do maybe 1 more warm up set, and then get going. We always used to stretch before we got in the pool back "in the day", though obviously if you got tight during practice you could stretch whenever.

dorothyrde
October 6th, 2005, 03:09 PM
I do. Stretching is a lot easier after the muscles warm up some. At Masters I always have to ask the coach if I can have a few minutes to stretch(another reason I get there early and start before everyone).

nkfrench
October 6th, 2005, 04:44 PM
I like a good stretch after the first 200y swimming during warmup. Tight lats, I guess. I can stretch them while kicking w/ board (on side) as part of the warmup (eg, swim/kick warmup set) but prefer a few minutes standing in the shallow end & using the starting blocks for leverage.

bitwiz
October 7th, 2005, 08:58 AM
I don't see a reason for stretching cold muscles.
Everything stretches better when warm.

Jeff Commings
October 7th, 2005, 12:56 PM
We usually have announcements after the warmup, which lasts about three minutes. I use that time to stretch.

And then I stretch for a minute or two more when workout is over. Helps to get the lactate flowing out because you're allowing more oxygen to get into the muscles.

Or so I read.

nkace
October 7th, 2005, 01:53 PM
I actually stretch before going into the pool, after doing some laps/warm-up sometimes I need to do more stretching, really depends on how hard I am working too.

cyboc
October 7th, 2005, 03:38 PM
I usually get to the pool 20 minutes early. Before stretching, I try to get all of my muscles warm. I achieve that by GENTLY doing arm circles/swings, running on the spot, hip circles, ankle circles, etc, while in my sweat pants and sweat shirt. I'll usually do two or three yoga "Sun Salutations" too. After I'm warm and starting to sweat (about 5 minutes) I do about 10-15 minutes of gentle stretching. I try to stretch all body parts, not just my upper body. After this warmup, I always feel ready to swim.

After practice, I stretch for about 10-15 minutes in a HOT whirl pool. During this post-swim stretching, I try to stretch a little bit farther than I do during my pre-swim stretching.

This routine seems to work well for me but your mileage may vary. Other swimmers in my club do anywhere from 0 to 10 minutes of stretching before swimming and usually none afterwards. It's no wonder that some of them take Advil after most workouts.

jim clemmons
October 7th, 2005, 03:48 PM
At the OTC camp it's recommended to stretch after workout. Muscles are warmed up, blood flow is happenin, all that good stuff.

I'll do a little stretching after swimming (warming up) 500 or so yards into it.