PDA

View Full Version : Paddles, where’s the science?

Ken Classen
October 10th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Paddle use seems primarily subjective, a feeling, intuition etc. Where is the information, the double blind studies, measurements in the flume etc.? How are the shapes, the holes, the size, of paddles decided? Inquiring minds want to know.

TheGoodSmith
October 10th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Ken,

Your coming at this from the wrong angle. Paddles, along with bouys and other toys are good for the mind as much as the body. You MUST have toys and little diversions in your workouts. Constant training the same way is mind numbing. We must have toys in our workouts. The problem is we can get dependent on them.

My theory on paddles is most people use too big of a profile. I use the small old red speedo rectangular style. They allow me to keep a faster turnover in workout. Big paddles usually provide too much torque on your shoulders, and they slow your turnover down too much for sprinting.

There are different ways to use paddles too. Paul Smith introduced me to a sprint method. You put both fins and paddles on and blast some 25's with lots of rest. It's a motorboat methodology, but I can say that it does help you with the mentality of getting up and soaring through the water.... :-)

John Smith

Kevin in MD
October 10th, 2005, 06:40 PM
tried google or anything rather than just asking here and inplying there is none.

There has been work done with paddles to show how it changes strokes before and after use. Try searching "the internet"

craiglll@yahoo.com
October 11th, 2005, 12:14 PM
When I use paddles, my stroke count drops drastically. Then for a few laps after they are off, my count stays really low. But it goes up agian before the workout is doen.

Guvnah
October 11th, 2005, 02:24 PM
For me, my primary use of paddles is to test my stroke. If, when I am using paddles, they get "stuck" in the water -- especially as my hand is nearing the end of the stroke -- then I know I'm dragging my hand/arm, or otherwise doing something inefficient in my stroke.