PDA

View Full Version : Protien v. Carbs

Seagurl51
October 10th, 2005, 04:46 PM
When you're cleaning out the fridge after practice is better to get the protien or carbs? I find myself always craving protien after practice, especially a hard one. Does it make a difference to muscle recovery what you eat? Thanx!!

hmlee
October 10th, 2005, 06:56 PM
I've heard that protein is best for an after practice meal. My mom is a long time supporter of a fruity smoothie with protein powder in it for right after a hard workout.

gull
October 10th, 2005, 07:16 PM
You need carbs to replenish muscle glycogen after working out.

art_z
October 10th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by gull80
You need carbs to replenish muscle glycogen after working out.

true, but doesn't protein get converted into carbohydrates anyway?

swiminton
October 10th, 2005, 08:13 PM
protein doesn't get converted into carbs. Carbs are an easier form for digestion. You should get a mix of both.

They now have lots of supplements (legal and natural) with a balance carbs and protein. Also, don't forget fat, you need a small amount of that too everyday.

Seagurl51
October 10th, 2005, 09:44 PM
So eggs and toast is good then?

Basically a good mix of both is best. Does the intensity of the practice change anything?

swiminton
October 10th, 2005, 10:31 PM
I come from a weight training background and don't really do any distance training, so my thoughts may not be as useful to distance swimmers.

I would think that you would want more carbs after longer distance training and more protein after short fast sprint training.

Even though I only do short distance sprint training, my swim training still uses more calories than my weight training. So on the four days I do weight training, I take quite a bit more (about twice) protein. On the other three days I swim, I try to eat more carbs.

And again, don't forget the fat. :) You will need good fat (nuts, flaxeed oil etc.) daily too. Many strength training programs now use the 45-35-20 formula (carbs, protein, and fat calories). Each gram of protein and carb is worth 4 calories and each gram of fat is worth 9 calories. You can do the math.

I truly believe that in order to be successful, one must have a combination of good technique and strength. Just swimming 3000 yards every day is not going to get you any faster.

Allen Stark
October 10th, 2005, 11:44 PM
At the Olympic Training Center we were taught that swimmers training hard should eat 50% carbs,25-30% protein and 20-25% fat. Within 1 hour of swimming the ideal meal has a 4 to 1 carb to protein ratio to replenish muscle glycogen. If you don't replenish the glycogen you will feel weaker the next day and not be able to workout as efficiently.

swiminton
October 11th, 2005, 01:31 AM
Do you guys do sprint training or long distance training? Do they tell you to eat more differently for either?

I think the 45-35-20 is leaning more toward strength training than endurance (buidling fast twitch muscles than slow twitch muscles).

James
October 11th, 2005, 12:19 PM
What about before your practice? I get about 3/4 into my workout and I'm completely spent. What should I eat to keep my energy up? Any opinions?:confused:

Fishgrrl
October 11th, 2005, 12:30 PM
James - I swear by a piece of toast with peanut butter - just a tablespoon. Gets me through the entire workout. I've tried not eating or just eating a packet of power gel and I bonk every time.

swiminton
October 11th, 2005, 12:43 PM
I don't like eating anything right before swimming. I don't recommend taking a lot of protein before workouts either because it actually takes your body a lot of energy to digest protein and convert it into energy. So you probably don't want to do that as you are swimming. I tried to time it so that I get some carbs 1.5-2 hours before my swim.

Seagurl51
October 11th, 2005, 12:47 PM
I eat a Nutra-Grain bar about a half and hour before my workout. It almost always gets me through the entire workout, unless it's really a tough one.

So then in terms of percentage of things to eat....I usually eat 2 eggs and 2 pieces of toast with butter...and sometimes an Eggo with butter. Is that the right combo of stuff? What would y'all recommend?

Gil
October 11th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Concerning nutrition questions an excellent source of information is Sports Nutrition by Nancy Clark, R.D.

swiminton
October 11th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Seagurl51
I eat a Nutra-Grain bar about a half and hour before my workout. It almost always gets me through the entire workout, unless it's really a tough one.

So then in terms of percentage of things to eat....I usually eat 2 eggs and 2 pieces of toast with butter...and sometimes an Eggo with butter. Is that the right combo of stuff? What would y'all recommend?

Chicken breast is a good source of protein. So is a lot of fish. I love salmon. Rice is not a bad source of carbs. Wheat bread too.

It's very difficult to say what to eat and what not to eat since there are millions of edible things and it depends on your taste.

Generally you stick with high complex carb, high protein, and low good essential fatty acids.

I am a bit neurotic as I almost always look at the nutrition facts before I buy anything.

Also, go to www.nutritiondata.com. It tells you the nutritional facts of a lot of foods.

F'ueco
October 12th, 2005, 12:23 AM
Post-workout is all about a pita from The Pita Pit and a beer from Gordon Biersch.

It's all about carbs AND protein...

hmlee
October 12th, 2005, 10:20 AM
I'm rather amused by the beer part F'ueco...I totally would drink one after practice...but I'm guessing drinking before class isn't the smartest thing to do! Damn those morning pratices... ;)

geochuck
October 12th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Protien first then followed by carbs, slows the carbs rushing to the blood. I might add followed by a beer the perfect meal.

Seagurl51
October 12th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Does the beer count as carbs or is that in addition too?

swiminton
October 12th, 2005, 01:55 PM
I hope you guys were kidding about the beer. :)

I really would not drink beer as part of the post workout carb source.

As Geochuck pointed out, you should get slow carbs. There is a difference between good (complex) carb and bad (simple carb). Simple carb gives you sudden surges and drops of engery. Unused simple carbs will be converted into fat easily.

Sugar is the most common form of simple carbs.

hmlee
October 12th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Here's another question...what's the best thing to eat for lunch when I have a double practice day? I usually grab a quick breakfast after my first practice...but I'm not really sure what I should be focusing on during my lunch meal...

geochuck
October 12th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Protein or Protien, Protein is an exception to the rule i before e. When I first talked to my doctor several years ago he suggested carbs but as time passed it changed to protein followed by carbs, then recently it was protein and fat followed by carbs, he also told me it really does not matter if they are complex carbs or simple carbs as long as you consume the protein and fat before the carbs. The beer is really not in my thoughts as I prefer a cola drink as my beverage but an ice cold beer is good when I swim in Mexico.

knelson
October 12th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by swiminton
I hope you guys were kidding about the beer. :)

I wouldn't kid about it. It's certainly a normal part of my post workout routine.

...and yes, I wait until I get home rather than cracking one open in the car :)

swiminton
October 12th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by hmlee
Here's another question...what's the best thing to eat for lunch when I have a double practice day? I usually grab a quick breakfast after my first practice...but I'm not really sure what I should be focusing on during my lunch meal...

One example would be some turkey breast sandwich on wheat, with toasted corn chips. But personally I hate anything that has to do with corn.

Simple carbs definitely taste better than complex carbs. So on days when I crave for some sugar (no pun intended :D), I try to get my apple juice in before noon.

art_z
October 12th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by knelson
I wouldn't kid about it. It's certainly a normal part of my post workout routine.

...and yes, I wait until I get home rather than cracking one open in the car :)

when i spent a summer in Dublin, Ireland i swam with a masters team there. Interestingly enough, the pool (it was a sports club) had a bar on the second floor. nothing like killing the chlorine taste with a nice Guinness or Smithwicks that was only a flight of stairs away!