PDA

View Full Version : Spinning

Larry
October 10th, 2005, 06:26 PM
I'm curious as to the benefit of spinning classes per swimming. I would guess the cross training/aerobic benefits are obvious. Anyone know whether spinning helps to build a stronger kicking ability (developing leg strength)?

Fishgrrl
October 10th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Larry - I love spinning classes! I took them after my shoulder surgery; at least I felt like I was working out. Not sure what the translation is to the water, but I think spinning is a nice diversion from swimming.

Also, I can't run, so biking is my only other option.

ALM
October 10th, 2005, 11:05 PM
But spinning is SO 2004.....

In the words of Dave Barry, I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP. This was in The Pitch, a free alternative weekly paper in Kansas City:

Best New Fitness Craze: Hydroriding

"When Xtreme Fitness opened its new aquatics center in March, it started offering classes in what may be the next fitness revolution. Hydroriding is basically a cross between spinning and swimming: riding a stationary exercise bike in waist-high water. The water element means there's zero impact on joints and people stay cool so they can exercise longer, helping both endurance trainers and those needing injury rehab. "There's really no one who can't do it," says the gym's group fitness director, Shelia Erwin. Xtreme Fitness has ten Italian-made stainless-steel hydrocycles that can be adjusted to operate like regular or recumbent bikes. They're so popular that the gym has to charge its own members an additional fee for using them. Xtreme offers 45-minute classes on Monday, Wednesday and Friday ($5 a session for gym members, $15 a session for nonmembers). It's the best way to make sure that you look good in a swimsuit."

Sam Perry
October 11th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Jayhawk
Best New Fitness Craze: Hydroriding

"When Xtreme Fitness opened its new aquatics center in March, it started offering classes in what may be the next fitness revolution. Hydroriding is basically a cross between spinning and swimming: riding a stationary exercise bike in waist-high water. The water element means there's zero impact on joints and people stay cool so they can exercise longer, helping both endurance trainers and those needing injury rehab. "There's really no one who can't do it," says the gym's group fitness director, Shelia Erwin. Xtreme Fitness has ten Italian-made stainless-steel hydrocycles that can be adjusted to operate like regular or recumbent bikes. They're so popular that the gym has to charge its own members an additional fee for using them. Xtreme offers 45-minute classes on Monday, Wednesday and Friday ($5 a session for gym members, $15 a session for nonmembers). It's the best way to make sure that you look good in a swimsuit."

Ok, that's funny. I can't wait to the the ultra high fashion neon colored water resistant unitard for this one! Maybe we'll get a decent waterproof IPOD if this new "fitness craze" takes off!

knelson
October 11th, 2005, 12:20 AM
I did spinning classes quite a bit last season. I think they helped with my endurance, but didn't really seem to help my kick much..

F'ueco
October 11th, 2005, 01:08 AM
I bike commute all the time, and it really kills my kick, actually.

My kick is pathetic as it is, but when I ride, my legs cramp much easier; and the muscles are tired.

But then, I ride 20+ miles just about every day. Less might not be so bad...