PDA

View Full Version : intervals vs LSD ratio?

Bags
October 13th, 2005, 11:21 AM
I'm back in the pool after a two decade offs. (Can't believe I'm that old.) I finally have a fairly solid base and want to get back to swimming interval workouts.

Can someone provide me with a rough rule of thumb for the percentage of my work that should be basic long slow distance type work and the percentage that should be intervals?

I'd eventually like to get back into competition -- but my more immediate goal is to get back to feeling like I'm doing real workouts again.

patrick
October 13th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Aerobic conditioning requires about 70% effort with short rest and anaerobic is above that % with more rest. Now mixing the 2 isn't bad either.

Try: 100 perfect free technique with about :15 to :20 rest and then 4 x 50 strong with :05 to :07 rest. Do it 4 times. The perfect free will be your recovery.

Or 2 x 75 strong with :05 to :10 rest and then a 50 easy. Do it 4 times--mix in some drill on the 50 or kick it.

Here's a new set I like: (swim this continously with flip turns) 25 build breath all you want, 25 fast 3 breaths, 25 moderate 2 breaths, 25 fast breath all you want, 25 easy 1 breath--rest :10 and repeat 4 times.

Good to hear you are back in the pool. check the workout section, variety is important.

tecumseh9
October 18th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Not sure there is really a right answer to this one it depends upon your goals and motivations. Some people enjoy a long, continuous swim and it helps get them to the pool and they find it relaxing other people find long swims tedious. Let's face it people (our age?) are swimming should be swimming as much for cardiac health as any other reason and LSD is certainly good for cardiac health though it might not be the best for racing.

I like to do a good long continuous swim, then a good set of 1,000 to 1,600 yds of intervals, then some 50s and then do a cool down swim.