PDA

View Full Version : going to fast

drdivot
October 13th, 2005, 06:24 PM
hi just started swimming again swam tons as a kid but no racing or anything like that. i am trying to just be able to do a 100 but at this point 50 just kills me because i cant slow down:D my wife says i look spastic with all the splashing i do kicking and such. is there a trick to going slower but still kicking or should i just try to build my endurance at the pace im going. by the way i do not ven know what my fast (to me) pace is. thanks very much just a newbie hoping to get enough swimming under my belt to go to a masters class:)

patrick
October 13th, 2005, 08:57 PM
are you on a team? or have a coach? right now it sounds like you need some technique work and some aerobic conditioning. you need a foundation of skills and then the speed will come.

drdivot
October 13th, 2005, 09:14 PM
just joined the y and i am trying to get a base so i can go to a masters workout. i could be wrong but if i cant swim very long it seems silly to go to a 1 hour class or would it be better to go in cold turkey

patrick
October 13th, 2005, 09:18 PM
do 25's and 50's and work up your endurance. push off the wall and glide in a streamline manner and when you begin to "stall out" begin to start your stroke. It's great you are back in the pool, and being in California you have infinite swimming role models. Certainly there are other rec swimmers at the Y, a joke about just beginning is always a conversation starter. Look to your peers first and then the hour workout will follow. And get some fins, kicking and variety of sets and distances will keep you interested.

BillS
October 14th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Can you spell TI?:D

Warning: use of this product may cause severe and debilitating side effects, including, but not limited to, heckling by non-TI swimmers, forum abuse, and total immersion into endless quagmires masquerading as legitimate debate. And evidently hairy palms as well.

Guvnah
October 14th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Sounds like you're thrashing.

Try getting "longer" in the water.

A good place to start is just pushing off the wall and getting a feel for a good glide. Don't take any stroke. Just push and glide, with your arms extended in front, hands together (palm of one hand on top of the back of the other.) Biceps touching (or even better, pressing) your ears. Feel how long you can be, how relaxed... For starters, try to glide past the backstroke flags (or, if no flags, past the point on the lane lines where the color scheme changes. (Most lane lines have a color change of some sort at the same distance from the walls that the backstroke flags hang.))

Slow down your stroke. On each stroke (each hand strike of the water) push your hand (and arm, all the way up to the shoulder) forward once it enters the water. Kind of like putting your arm into a coat sleeve. This will lengthen your stroke and allow you to get a better "feel" of the water.

Yes, slow down your stroke. The description in your post looks like you are thrashing. Not even sprinting (properly). But it's hard to tell without actually seeing it. A good easy stroke wouldn't have a whole lot of kicking splash.

Start with a few simple things like the suggestions I made. The complete answer to your question would take a book, or a whole series of coaching assistance. And while some people like to joke about TI (Total Immersion), the concepts of that program embody a lot of the things you are looking to do to improve your stroke.

BillS
October 14th, 2005, 08:26 PM
All kidding aside, I think the TI program is an excellent way to address exactly this issue.

drdivot
October 17th, 2005, 09:54 PM
first chance in the water since i wrote these questions and i did pick up the TI book from the library. read the first part but have not gotten to the drills yet. my little swim this AM i was trying to reach more and to me at least i did seem gracefull. still got tired but on my last 25 i felt that my shoulder came out of the water when i rolled (is that right) and when i got to the end i did not seem as out of breath. if i had more time i would have tried more laps but had to go . thanks for writing ken

Hawaiiwoman
October 18th, 2005, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by drdivot
just joined the y and i am trying to get a base so i can go to a masters workout. i could be wrong but if i cant swim very long it seems silly to go to a 1 hour class or would it be better to go in cold turkey

If there is a Masters program in your area, my advice is to "go cold turkey." Go, meet people, ask questions (like what lane should I be in?) do what you can do. My experience is that masters swimmers are the best in the world: supportive, friendly, willing to help a newbie!