PDA

View Full Version : Who is your favorite male breaststroker?

swiminton
October 18th, 2005, 02:44 PM
I probably have left out some of people's favorites. If so, please check other and indicate in your reply. And excuse my spellings where incorrect. :) Thanks.

Frank Thompson
October 18th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Swiminton:

I see you went back as far as 1992 with Mike Barrowman. Here are some additions to the list of other.

Nelson Diebel - 1992 Olympic Gold Medalist in the 100 Meter.
Jeremy Linn
Sergio Lopez
Rocque Santos
Eric Wonderlich
Mark Gangloft
Kurt Grote
Roman Slodnov
Scott Usher
Pat Calhoun

knelson
October 18th, 2005, 05:24 PM
I voted for Barrowman, but another good addition would be Steve Lundquist.

scyfreestyler
October 18th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Allright. Who voted for the Olympic cheat? :eek:

Allen Stark
October 18th, 2005, 07:02 PM
How about Chet Jastremski who essentially invented the whip kick and was the first one under 1:00 for 100 yds. He was my hero in the 60's

Allen Stark
October 18th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Here's another oldtimer memory. The most exciting Swimming race I ever saw was the 1968 Olympic 200 Breast. Felipe Munoz was the only Mexican to win a Gold at those Games and the last 50 when he was heading for the lead it sounded like the entire nation was screaming "MEXICO" every time he took a breath. Watching it on TV it gave me chills.

swiminton
October 18th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Allen Stark
How about Chet Jastremski who essentially invented the whip kick and was the first one under 1:00 for 100 yds. He was my hero in the 60's

I don't know the history that goes back to that early, but I thought it was Barrowman that invented the whip kick? Just something I heard.

Allen Stark
October 18th, 2005, 09:08 PM
No Barroman didn't really invent anything. He practically perfected "wave" breaststroke but he didn't invent it. His coach Nagy is often credited with inventing the wave,but Taguchi of Japan won the 100 at the 72 Olympics with a wave stroke. He also,like his successor Kitajima was notorious for his illegal dolphin kick.

tjburk
October 18th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Definitely Steve Lundquist

cinc3100
October 19th, 2005, 12:59 AM
What about John Hencken a winner in both 72 and 76. As for F Munoz winning breastsroke, maybe a Mexican can win again at the olympics since there are plenty of Mexican kids in the US that go out for swimming.

Matthias
October 19th, 2005, 04:25 AM
I voted for Mark Warnecke.

Fast breaststroker and he seems to be interested in sharing is knowledge about breaststroke and swimming with others.

Brgds

Matthias

newmastersswimmer
October 19th, 2005, 10:17 AM
I went for "other" b/c I grew up in the Steve Lunquist era and liked him the best....(definitely the best all around swimmer that is labeled as predominantly a breaststroker.....he was the fastest 100 freestyler, fastest 100 butterflier, fastest IMer, and fastest breastroker on the SMU squad while he was there....he was also probably the biggest partier of any breasstroker mentioned in your poll as well).....I also like Jeremy Linn because he is a former UT Volunteer!....and I believe he is still the current SCY National record holder??....Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about that.....Something like 51 high in the 100 yard
breaststroke....which is absolutely insane fast!!

Newmastersswimmer

craiglll@yahoo.com
October 19th, 2005, 11:46 AM
When I first saw this thread, I thought that I really didn't know too mamy breaststrokers. I was really surprised by the list and then the people I thought of who had been left off of the list. Breast is my worst stroke. I had to "teach" it to my fellow classmates when I was getting my WSI back in 1977. I barely passed the demonstration. It is for me the hardest stroke.

knelson
October 19th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Breast is an odd stroke. I'll bet you more swimmers would pick breast as their worst stroke than any other stroke. The flip side to this is there are many breaststrokers who really only swim breast well. I'm not saying all breaststrokers are like this, but it seems somewhat common. Those who can swim the other strokes well have a heck of an advantage in IMs, that's for sure.

swimr4life
October 19th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Steve Lundquist was an awesome breaststroker in the late 70's and early 80's! If we had not boycotted the Moscow Olympics at the height of his career, more people would know his name. He grew up in the Atlanta area with me and I used to love to watch him swim at our meets. He was fun to look at out of the water too! ;)

jonblank
October 19th, 2005, 01:16 PM
A few "other" names of great breaststrokers:

I can't believe Lundquist wasn't on the original list. The guy was simply incredible. I don't doubt that he could train for 2 months today and qualify for Olympic Trials...
http://www.ishof.org/90slundquist.html

David Wilkie of Scotland/GBR was a fantastic breaststroker - he won the '76 Olympics at Montreal with a still-impressive 2:14.
http://www.ishof.org/82dwilkie.html

Also, reaching WAAY back, Peter Fogarassy who swam for NC State might have won the '60 games had he been eligible to swim for the US. A Hungarian refugee, his times were faster by several seconds than the winning time in Rome.
http://gopack.collegesports.com/genrel/051905aaa.html

Though overshadowed by Lundquist, John Moffett was one impressive athlete in the late '70's early '80's. A member of the star-crossed '80 US Olympic team, he won the '84 US Olympic Trials, only to suffer a mysterious thigh injury prior to the LA finals, which were won by Lundquist. As a 14 year old, he scored in the 200 breaststroke at Fort Lauderdale Senior Nationals.
http://www-leland.stanford.edu/dept/news/stanfordtoday/ed/9811/9811sf01.shtml

John Hencken swam in the '84 trials, 12 years after winning gold at the Munich games. He made 3 US Olympic teams, a Santa Clara/Stanford alumnus.
http://www.ishof.org/88jhencken.html

Brian Job had an impressive collegiate career in the early '70s, using a powerful DPS style. Another Santa Clara/Stanford alum, he became an internet zillionaire in teh late '90s.
http://www.job1.com/pb/wp_00989c20/wp_00989c20.html?0.03260585709444824

USMS's own David Guthrie holds masters World Records in 3 age groups currently. Not bad for the 1980 NAIA champion.
http://www.hendrix.edu/athletics/athletics.aspx?id=329#David%20Guthrie

BruceGianniny
October 20th, 2005, 09:54 AM
David Wilkie of Scotland/GBR was a fantastic breaststroker - he won the '76 Olympics at Montreal with a still-impressive 2:14.

Wilkie swam USMS too.....late 70s

BruceGianniny
October 20th, 2005, 09:58 AM
as a matter 'o fact I think I remember Wilkie swimming against John Henken at USMS nationals...Ft Lauderdale '77...200 Breast..maybe a reenactment of an Olympic race..

Rob Copeland
October 20th, 2005, 12:48 PM
And what about Bill Mulliken, USMSís own Olympic gold medalist from 1960? Bill getís my vote!

Or Masaru Furukawa, another gold medalist from the time when the race was swum completely underwater? Who canít love a guy who races the 200M breast no-breather?

SwiminONandON
October 20th, 2005, 01:42 PM
I like a lot of the guys on this list, Ed Moses has a great attitude outside the pool ... kinda the bad boy of the sport, does his own thing ... I think that's cool ...

Frank Thompson
October 20th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Jon Blank:

Thanks for sharing your list with us. All of those people are impressive. I had not followed Brian Job in years and was very impressed with the link you provided about his life after swimming. I was not a breastroker but I do remember Brian Job really well because he was originally from Kent Ohio and swam with the Lake Erie Silver Dolphins and I used to see him at the AAU meets in the 1960's. In fact he was the only person that made a first place in the High School All American listings in 1967, that was not from Santa Clara High School. He had a time of 1:00.60 for the 100 Yard breast which was a new national HS record.

He was one of the first swimmers that I remember that moved and ended up at Santa Clara HS the next year which at that time was the top HS program in the country. In fact, Santa HS placed 4th with 20 All American berths behind the states of California, Illinois, and Texas. That is how good they were and they were coached by one of the greatest coaches of our time, George Haines. Before he moved he was not ranked in the World Rankings.

The next year as a Jr. he went :59.2 and lowed his HS record and would have been 2nd at the NCAA championship meet. He also went to the 1968 Olympics and got a bronze medal behind Felipe Muoz in the 200 breast.

His big break through came in 1969 when he lowered the HS record to :57.7 which was an American Record and he would have beaten the NCAA Champion and recent Olympic Gold Medalist, Don McKenize by .06 with his time of :58.3. That HS record stayed on the books until 1976 and was one of the longest records in HS at that time. He never broke the 100 Meter breastroke World Record record because that was held by Nicolia Pankin from Russia who held that record from 1968 to 1972. He did however break the Nicolia Pankin record in the 200 by 2 seconds going 2:23.5 and it stood for 2 years until John Hencken broke it 2 years later going in the 2:22's.

The reason I bring this up is because there was a trend going on in the USA that swimmers with great potential would move and swim for a HS or club like Santa Clara. Don Schollander did this years before and this was the first time someone from the midwest of the country did it that I can remember. Years later one of the best swimming families that was from Akron, Ohio and they relocated to Santa Clara and that was the Bottom family.

In fact this year Joe Bottom is finally being inducted into the ISHOF almost 25 years after he retired from swimming. I feel the Hall was a little slow about this. I am surprised that Brian Job has not been inducted either. Anyways I used to see these guys at all of the AAU meets in the midwest before they moved west and got famous.

Ian
October 20th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Glenn MIlls. NCAA champion and won the 1980 U.S. Olympic trails in the 200. Never got a chance to swim in the Olympics due to the boycott.

breastroker
October 20th, 2005, 05:48 PM
I am with you Skip, Brian Job was faster in high school than the college breaststrokers.

I am glad you brought up Nicolia Pankin, I never could swim like Chet, so I swam like Nicolia.

In 1991 as a Masters I beat Nicolia Pankin in Paris, it was the last time the USSR existed.

I have an old swim video on breaststroke, guys in paisley suits and long hair. David Wilkie stood out because he pancaked started.

If he could have started like Lundquist he would have gone 2:13.

And then there is John Moffet, great guy who did a couple of swim videos in the 1990's.

mark_varney47
October 21st, 2005, 12:22 PM
Well, I would definitely have to vote for one of the following:

David Wilkie
Adrian Moorhouse
Duncan Goodhew.

Maybe it's because they are all British,lol!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank Thompson
October 21st, 2005, 01:53 PM
Bruce:

I knew that both David Wilkie and John Hencken could not have swam in 1977 at the Nationals because they would have been 23 and to young to swim. I remember they were both born in 1954. To be eligible to swim you had to be 25. I did notice that David Wilkie swam at the 1980 USMS SC Nationals and was a featured story in the USMS swim publication. He pretty much dominated the 4 out of 5 events he swam. He swam the 50 Fly as a warm up and did :28.19 and got 34 out of 37.

He won the 100 and 200 Breast and also the 100 IM. He was swimming for a club called McEwan's Export Masters which was out of Scotland. He did not swim 50 breast because in those days there were no 50's of stroke except 50 Fly because there was no 200 Fly at National meets. He went :58.51 and 2:08.41 for the breast events. His 100 IM time was :53.89. All these swims were listed as Open Records because he was not registered as a USMS swimmer and could not hold USMS records.

His 100 Breast time was the fastest time in the 25-29 age group until Rick Hofstetter went :58.48 in 1985. His 200 time was the fastest until Bruce Howell did a time of 2:08.13 in 1987. I remember Bruce because he swam age group and HS in Michigan and his brother Andy is one of the USA officials here in Michigan.

Frank Thompson
October 21st, 2005, 01:55 PM
mark_varney47:

I can add some more to your list.

Nick Gillingham
Ian Edmond
James Gibson

BruceGianniny
October 21st, 2005, 02:10 PM
I knew that both David Wilkie and John Hencken could not have swam in 1977 at the Nationals because they would have been 23 and to young to swim. I remember they were both born in 1954. To be eligible to swim you had to be 25. I did notice that David Wilkie swam at the 1980 USMS SC Nationals and was a featured story in the USMS swim publication. He pretty much dominated the 4 out of 5 events he swam. He swam the 50 Fly as a warm up and did :28.19 and got 34 out of 37.

Frank....I stand corrected..(thanks for not berating me and my poor memory) and maybe it was just Wilkie swimming...not with Henken...People were quite excited though, standing 2 deep around the Hall of Fame pool to see this amazing 200 breast by a masters swimmer

GoRedFoxes
October 21st, 2005, 04:03 PM
Wasn't it Diebel who was every coaches nightmare? Drank, smoked, liked to party. Didn't start swimming until 'relatively' late for a swimmer (Ion?) If so (or who ever that was) is definately my favorite guy. Showed you can do it, and don't have to be a swimming GEEK at it.

pmbchill
October 21st, 2005, 05:06 PM
Glenn Mills and Brian Job, I agree. Two great swimmers from the Cleveland area.

Ian
October 21st, 2005, 05:15 PM
Chet Jastremski, Indiiana University, first man to swim a 100-yard breaststroke under a minute.

Bert Bergen
October 22nd, 2005, 11:10 PM
Nelson Diebel's bio on the Delaware Otters site says he competed for 6 years in US Swimming before retiring after winning gold at the 1992 Olympics. I believe he was around 20 or so when he won in Barcelona. If that is the case, he then started in his teens and made it to the pinnacle...not bad.

chicocat
October 23rd, 2005, 05:09 PM
Bert-
Did you go to Chico State?

Bert Bergen
October 24th, 2005, 07:59 PM
A veeeeerrrry long time ago.

chicocat
October 24th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Bert-
Nice to hear you are still swimming. I swam at Chico when you were there
I swam with Dani Holsworth. Actually Dani and I are still good friends.
Take care.:D

ddunbar
October 27th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Terry Gathercole - My first competitive coach.

He was an Olympic swimmer (1956 and 1960) and world record holder as well as coach of Olympic gold medalists medalists Ian O'Brien (1964) and Beverley Whitfield (1972) plus world champion Linley Frame (1991)

In between 64 and 72, Terry coached the City of Midland Swim Team in Midland, Texas.