PDA

View Full Version : Training in a new pool

tuck
October 21st, 2005, 04:16 PM
I never have enough time to train. So my workouts are light by most standards. On a regular basis I can fit in 35-40 min with maybe an hour long swim once a month. Generally I'm doing 1500 to 2000 per work out maybe three times a week in a 20 yard Y pool. Always really early in the morning.
Two weeks ago I found a place to swim during lunch. The great thing is the pool in 25 yards, the bad thing is I can only swim for 25 min. I'm finding though that the 1000 yards at lunch is alot tougher to get through than the 1500 in the morning, doing intervals at both workouts. Must be the push-off from the wall turns in the smaller pool that make it feel easier, I'm lifting weights in the morning before the lunch swims too, so I'm feeling that.
Anybody know any benifits or drawbacks to swimming short workouts, maybe even two a days ? I'm not doing them now but I may over the winter. I'd really like to do some longer (for me ) Open Water swims next summer. 1 mile plus.

MichiganHusker
October 21st, 2005, 07:14 PM
I think it depends on where your heartrate is. Bob Greene - the trainer who worked with Oprah - says to work out 5-7 times a week for 20-60 mins. He claims that it is the effort that counts.

If you are swimming hard, you are definitely getting cardio benefits, if that is your goal. Not sure if it will help with weight (which I am still looking for the magic formula on that one).

It seems like something is better than nothing!

Michael Heather
October 22nd, 2005, 12:54 AM
Oprah who?

Lifting weights before swimming will help your conditioning ultimately, but can also prolong the warmup. Since you have so little time, try to focus on quality. As soon as you are warmed up, move on to short main sets that stress buildup swimming. That is, each interval will have the same routine in that you attempt to speed up during each swim. This sometimes turns into a descending series, but that part should be only happen because you are getting into a groove, and the descent should only be 1 -2 seconds per 100. This will help with pace and aerobic conditioning and keep you from straining something by doing blast 50s all the time. Take one day per week for drills, so you don't lose your stroke technique.

craiglll@yahoo.com
October 22nd, 2005, 12:27 PM
Can you drop the weights to maybe every-other-day? Is the pool open for more time.

craiglll@yahoo.com
October 22nd, 2005, 12:27 PM
Can you drop the weights to maybe every-other-day? Is the pool open for more time.

tuck
October 22nd, 2005, 04:25 PM
I'm lifting every other day and it so happens to come on the days I swim at lunch. I lift in the mornings at the Y and I'll drop that as I get into the spring and replace it with morning swims. The other two days are rest and short runs, (3-9 miles on trails). I guess the big constraint with me is not being able to train with a team or for more than 30 min at a time due to time constraints. I'll see how things go, I want to build up to 3000 yd. workouts split between two sessions, and like I said a long swim every month. As I get closer to a race I really break up the family harmony and train much longer, but that's another story.

Thanks for responses, I really caught the Open Water bug this summer and am looking forward to doing more races, ( What is an Open Water Bug anyway ? )