PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite swimming jargon terms ?

BDuncan
October 29th, 2005, 12:14 PM
What are your picks of what you reckon are the most humorous Swimming jargon terms, or the most humorous uses of any Swimming jargon terms made by anyone - be it by any swimmer/s, a coach, who ever was commentating a race you saw live or on TV, or someone who wrote about a race you saw ?

Not to be confused with any humorous swimming quotes made by any swimmers, coaches or commentators, which isn't what I'm asking.

Guvnah
October 31st, 2005, 11:55 AM
We always thought that "fartleks" (fart licks) in our workouts were the coolest, just because of the name. (High school boys. What would you expect?)

cjquill
October 31st, 2005, 02:02 PM
I've seen "intermediate medley" in local newspapers and heard commentators refer to the "IM relay."

nkfrench
October 31st, 2005, 02:16 PM
One of our starters called swimmers up for the 200-yard "intermediate melody" once back when.

Damage Inc
October 31st, 2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Guvnah
"fartleks" (fart licks)
You said fart licks. Cool. (Insert Bevis and Butthead laughs here).

penguin4501
November 1st, 2005, 12:17 AM
Apparently a few people out there run news articles on "intermediate medley" :D

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=intermediate+medley&btnG=Search+News

Tom Ellison
November 1st, 2005, 05:04 AM
Jaken....which means loafing.....

Allen Stark
November 1st, 2005, 12:14 PM
Newspaper coverage of a High School meet had one swimmer winning the "grueling 400 year freestyle." Now thats a long race

Sonic Swimmer78
November 1st, 2005, 12:21 PM
LOL! 400 Years?! That IS long!

When I was manging my high school swim team, I wasn't familiar with some of the terminology myself. One memorable time was when I tried to figure out what IM (Individual Medley) stood for and once wrote "400 Independent Medley" on the white board with a Dry Erase marker. The team and coach didn't let that one down for weeks.

ALM
November 1st, 2005, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Allen Stark
Newspaper coverage of a High School meet had one swimmer winning the "grueling 400 year freestyle."

I think I've swum that race a couple of times.... Well, at least it felt like I did....

Allen Stark
November 1st, 2005, 04:14 PM
During and right after the Masters Worlds In Italy you could Google the computer Italian to English translation of the results. There were some great events like the"200M long bathtub frog" and the "3000M ditch swim".

Sonic Swimmer78
November 2nd, 2005, 11:19 AM
LOL!!! Oh, wow, that's hilarious!

aquageek
November 2nd, 2005, 12:34 PM
1. Early bloomer
2. V02Max
3. TI (for you gull80)

old dog
November 2nd, 2005, 09:05 PM
VO2Max shampoo

Tom Ellison
November 2nd, 2005, 09:56 PM
:D

Tom Ellison
November 2nd, 2005, 10:36 PM
Big Brother Sir....

I was a good boy and didn't write a thing....I just smiled....

Mark in MD
November 2nd, 2005, 11:37 PM
How's that?

Tom Ellison
November 3rd, 2005, 07:11 AM
Mr. Moose is a good boy cause he likes to take his vacations in the summer time.....;)

Michael Heather
November 5th, 2005, 12:49 AM
This is a twist on the thread, but it is something that gets my knickers in a bunch. Politically correct swimming terms like "practice" instead of "workout", swimming "fast" instead of "hard". These and others were dropped on us thinking that we would be less stressed out by the terminology. Practice gives off the feling of yoga in draperies, all light and airy with no sweat or strain. You can practice your golf swing, but don't workout in the pool, that would be too much like, um, oh, work. And no one should have to work in our enlightened society, should they?

Jazz Hands
November 5th, 2005, 12:01 PM
As a coach, I like "fast" as opposed to "hard" because I want to get a certain attitude from my swimmers. I want them getting across the pool as fast as they can, and not necessarily spending the most energy possible doing it. However, I think it's mostly an intellectual point, because to a swimmer brain, "fast" and "hard" in a workout mean the same thing. And I think refusing to say "workout" is silly. Again, it's good to have the attitude that what we are doing is practicing for our races, but the way we do that is by working out!

geochuck
November 5th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Fast and hard great terminology. They go well together but I prefer long and slow for the build up to go fast and hard. Practice makes perfect as long as you practice perfect.

blairj
November 13th, 2005, 02:12 AM
when surfing the internet for deals on swim suits: "grab bag" :D