PDA

View Full Version : Opinion about Zoomers Z2 (fins)

Zirconium
October 30th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Has anyone tried the new Zoomer fins Z2?
http://www.zoomers.net/

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

tjburk
October 31st, 2005, 11:29 PM
Haven't tried those...I prefer the Positive Drive Fins...they can be used for all strokes...Mainly Breaststroke.

TheGoodSmith
November 1st, 2005, 10:37 AM
Careful not to use fins (or zoomers) in a dependent manner during workouts. Many people get used to them and swim lazily during their sets. They can be more of a handicap than a help if not used correctly.

Fins are great for speed work and body position. I like them during a taper to get the mentality of cruising on top of the water at top speed.

I would not use them in a non quality set either for kicking or for swimming. They are much better for explosive training.

John Smith

Conniekat8
November 1st, 2005, 03:02 PM
I used zoomers for couple of years, they were good.
Then I switched to hydrofins. I like hydrofins better.

newmastersswimmer
November 1st, 2005, 03:21 PM
I've never used the new zoomer fins you mentioned....but the old red zoomers always give me blisters on the top of my feet where they rub against the top of the foot. I tried wearing regular fins a couple of weeks ago....but then I got a blister on the top of my foor near my pinky toe.....I guess I have delicate skin on my feet or something??

Newmastersswimmer

aquageek
November 1st, 2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by TheGoodSmith
Careful not to use fins (or zoomers) in a dependent manner during workouts. Many people get used to them and swim lazily during their sets. They can be more of a handicap than a help if not used correctly.

Finally me and one of the Smiths agree. Be careful with the toys or you'll end up a triathlete.

old dog
November 2nd, 2005, 09:13 PM
Zoomers 1 & 2 are both good.

I was training winter of 2003 for a meet in May to try for
a PR.

In December, my shoulders felt overloaded; big time.

I swam for 2 months w/ Zoomers to try to take a load off my shoulders. It worked FOR ME.

Did my pr's in May. My legs didn't burn like they always did before. My form was the best I'd felt

I had more blisters w/ the the Z-1's; but got over them shortly w/ a little adhesive tape to the affected areas.

hmlee
November 2nd, 2005, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by newmastersswimmer
I've never used the new zoomer fins you mentioned....but the old red zoomers always give me blisters on the top of my feet where they rub against the top of the foot. I tried wearing regular fins a couple of weeks ago....but then I got a blister on the top of my foor near my pinky toe.....I guess I have delicate skin on my feet or something??

Newmastersswimmer

What you need is fin booties! Finis makes some (I got mine from Kiefer)...I mean you can use socks or stuff, but I find the neoprene fin booties protect my feet and feel a lot more natural in the water than a pair of athletic socks.

Zirconium
November 2nd, 2005, 10:44 PM
Thank you everybody for your advices. I use Zoomers from time to times in kick & undulation sets.

The Zoomer Z2 is for my young daughter, to replace the current blue Z1 which is becoming to small for her. I would like to check for feedback if Z2 is a good idea or if there is a better alternative.

carriem
July 28th, 2006, 03:26 PM
If you get blisters from rubber fins, a great training fin to try would be the Hydro Tech 2 fins (http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/4004.htm). They're made out of silicone, which is softer (less irritation!) and denser than rubber, which helps keep your feet below the surface.

-Carrie

Dobbie
July 28th, 2006, 08:11 PM
highly propulsive, lower resistance, 'quick response' experience

Bring on the Zoomer races...Now were cookin...

Dobbie
July 28th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Fins are great for speed work and body position. I like them during a taper to get the mentality of cruising on top of the water at top speed.

I agree...I use them for getting the power going in Back and fly starts/turns during tapers.

They also help work in taking the load off sore shoulders.

Matt S
July 30th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by hmlee
What you need is fin booties! Finis makes some (I got mine from Kiefer)...I mean you can use socks or stuff, but I find the neoprene fin booties protect my feet and feel a lot more natural in the water than a pair of athletic socks.

Hmlee has a good suggestion. I have the same problem, but a lower tech solution is good ole' duct tape (quack). I wrap it around my feet over the spot where I get rub blisters (you want to go all the way around your foot, and get the tape to stick to itself, which it does well, better than sticking to your foot). More than once is not necessary. The best part about it is that your foot is still basically the same size and you can use the same set of fins. My problem with fin booties (or socks at any rate) is that they make my feet too big to fit into the fins. Duct tape doesn't have that problem.

Matt

jkadash
November 5th, 2008, 12:19 PM
If you get blisters from rubber fins, a great training fin to try would be the Hydro Tech 2 fins (http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/4004.htm). They're made out of silicone, which is softer (less irritation!) and denser than rubber, which helps keep your feet below the surface.

-Carrie

I swim for excercizing my back after surgery. I would like to make my work out a little harder and I am considering getting zoomers. I am not a strong competitive swimmer. Can you help decide between sillicone and rubber fins? What are pluses and minuses of each?