PDA

View Full Version : Somewhere Warm!!!

geochuck
November 3rd, 2005, 10:07 AM
I usually go to Mexico for the winter but would like to go somewhere warm in the USA, not Florida. I want to be able to train to myhearts content. I want to bring my motorhome and be close to a pool that does not cost an arm and a leg. Any suggestions. I don't even mind helping others in their swimming endeavors.

jim clemmons
November 3rd, 2005, 03:05 PM
Guess the RV rules out Hawaii unless you have pontoons.

aztimm
November 3rd, 2005, 03:12 PM
Have you thought of coming to Arizona? The winter isn't warm like the summer, but by standards of other places, it is quite nice. The coldest months are Dec and Jan, when highs may be in the 60s, lows about 40 or so. We do have large fluctuations when it could be 25 or so at night, and also record highs in the 80s in Jan are not uncommon. Most of our pools are outside but heated. There are many areas where you could dock your motor home, and we get many winter visitors in the area (some days it seems more cars from Minnesota and Alberta than Arizona).

Check out my team's website if you are interested: www.sundevilmasters.org
Here is the state's master's swimming site also:
http://www.arizonamasters.org/
There are also good teams in Tucson (at UofA) and uptown Phoenix (used to be called Phoenix Swim Club, now Brophy East I think). There are a bunch of smaller clubs scattered about, but these are the big 3. I'm sure if you contact one of the coaches they would be happy to help you.

You may want to also consider California, Southern New Mexico, or even parts of Texas for warmer weather.

Tim

Peter Cruise
November 3rd, 2005, 05:42 PM
I see George heading for Austin, hauling the RV onto the grass outside the Uof T pool, striding inside while early morning masters are churning up the water (Ande is late) and proclaiming "there's a new sherriff in town- and his name is Johnny Canuck!"

Conniekat8
November 3rd, 2005, 05:54 PM
I could use a roommate.
Don't know where I'd put a motor home.

geochuck
November 3rd, 2005, 05:55 PM
Graham Johnston invited me years ago to go to Texas, that sounds like an excellent idea Peter. Jack Nelson from Florida used to call me the Big Canuck.

geochuck
November 3rd, 2005, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Conniekat8
I could use a roommate.
Don't know where I'd put a motor home. Chuckie, my wife said thats OK. But she has to come to.

Dominick Aielloeaver
November 3rd, 2005, 07:25 PM
Having come from N.Y. , . I am now living in AZ. I really can not think of a better climate for swimming. There is a great swimming club in Tempe AZ. Called the, Sundevils masters . I would look them up. But in any case there are a lot of plces in AZ to swim. LOts of luck. Dom.:)

Sam Perry
November 3rd, 2005, 07:42 PM
AZ is the place to be. Tucson has a great program as well as SunDevil. I swim with Brophy East Swim Club (formerly Phoenix Swim Club) we own our pool and have three workouts daily.

Don't get to swim much during the lunch workout, but this time of year there is no better time than the 11:30 - 1:00 pm lunch time swim. Unfortunately due to work schedule, I have to swim at 5:30 to 7:00 am.

We swim anywhere from 4,000 to 5,000 yards a practice and have a new coach. His workouts are very diverse and challenging so we are having a great time. Jim Stites in Tucson does a great job as well as Simon Percy in Tempe. Hardly ever rains here this time of year so you know what to expect with the weather.

For what it's worth, here is our team's website: http://www.brophysportscampus.org/masters/index.html

Don't know if you can park an RV there, but have seen it done in our parking lot before!

geochuck
November 3rd, 2005, 07:50 PM
Tempe, we have alredy talked to someone there who has a mohome park.

Peter Cruise
November 3rd, 2005, 08:20 PM
George- I'm sure that you'll have a great time with any of the clubs mentioned- especially once you sort out the coaches & lay out your groundrules- no breastroke, no backstroke, no drills, no distance sets- if you got hassled about the backstroke, you could always demonstrate why not...

geochuck
November 3rd, 2005, 08:53 PM
After the weather we had today I can't wait to get going. I will be free as a bee as listed my house forsale at noon and it sold at 4:00pm. I am ready to go to Arizona.

Jazz Hands
November 3rd, 2005, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Sam Perry
AZ is the place to be. Tucson has a great program as well as SunDevil. I swim with Brophy East Swim Club (formerly Phoenix Swim Club) we own our pool and have three workouts daily.

Don't get to swim much during the lunch workout, but this time of year there is no better time than the 11:30 - 1:00 pm lunch time swim. Unfortunately due to work schedule, I have to swim at 5:30 to 7:00 am.

We swim anywhere from 4,000 to 5,000 yards a practice and have a new coach. His workouts are very diverse and challenging so we are having a great time. Jim Stites in Tucson does a great job as well as Simon Percy in Tempe. Hardly ever rains here this time of year so you know what to expect with the weather.

For what it's worth, here is our team's website: http://www.brophysportscampus.org/masters/index.html

Don't know if you can park an RV there, but have seen it done in our parking lot before!

I didn't know Brophy East used to be Phoenix Swim Club. All of the sudden there was just this huge team at Sectionals in Federal Way. BEST struck me as a very well-run team, and the teenage members at the meet had more camaraderie by far than any other team. They also won a lot. Definitely seems like a good place to swim.

Sam Perry
November 3rd, 2005, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Jazz Hands
I didn't know Brophy East used to be Phoenix Swim Club. All of the sudden there was just this huge team at Sectionals in Federal Way. BEST struck me as a very well-run team, and the teenage members at the meet had more camaraderie by far than any other team. They also won a lot. Definitely seems like a good place to swim.

Yes, Dennis Pursley (the former USA Swimming National Team Director) heads up the program for the age groupers. He is building a solid program slowly.

They were pretty depleted after Pierre Lafontaine (sp?) left for Australia. There was no head coach for about a year while they searched for a new director.

Needless to say with Pursley as the director, BEST won't be known for sprinters as PSC was in the past, they crank out the distance let me tell you! Saw them one day do a 10,000 for time...

patrick
November 4th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Geochuck:

Go to Arizona for awhile and then head east to Austin on I-10. If you do stop by Balmorhea State Park--it has a year round spring fed pool with plenty of space for a RV. Also you can head up into the Davis Mountains and check out the scenery, plus you can swim at Sul Ross State University in Alpine too.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/balmorhea/

If you go to Austin, there are plenty of places to swim besides UT--many other clubs with outdoor heated pools, plus there is always Barton Springs. It's always 68 degrees and a great place to swim in the winter.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/parks/bartonsprings.htm

Sam Perry
November 4th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by patrick
Geochuck:

Go to Arizona for awhile and then head east to Austin on I-10. If you do stop by Balmorhea State Park--it has a year round spring fed pool with plenty of space for a RV. Also you can head up into the Davis Mountains and check out the scenery, plus you can swim at Sul Ross State University in Alpine too.

Wow I forgot about Balmorhea. I grew up in West Texas used to go there a lot. VERY unique pool. I think I saw a Conde Nast Travel Magazine a couple of months ago and it listed the most unique swimming holes in the world. Balmorhea was in the top 3. Definitely worth the stop. Head on into Austin via Llano and have some of the best BBQ in the world at Cooper's.

(I love how we all get to vicariously live through George's freedom!)

Conniekat8
November 4th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by geochuck
Chuckie, my wife said thats OK. But she has to come to.

There's room for two in my guestroom.
Just close the door behind you, otherwise you may find yourself with a cat or two [real cats] sitting on a nightstand, staring you in the face, wondering... Hmmm, what are they doing under them covers???

TheGoodSmith
November 4th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Dude,

The answer to you question is Austin, Texas. Longhorn country is the place to be.

Eat great TexMex every day of the week and swim outdoors at Barton Springs...... drink powerful Margaritas...... need I say more.

Case Closed.

John Smith

Sam Perry
November 4th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by TheGoodSmith
Dude,

The answer to you question is Austin, Texas. Longhorn country is the place to be.

Eat great TexMex every day of the week and swim outdoors at Barton Springs...... drink powerful Margaritas...... need I say more.

Case Closed.

Best Tex Mex and BBQ, couldn't agree more. TSC is a great pool, but NOTHING beats swimming outside year round. I would move back to Texas tomorrow if I could for the culture and food, but swimming outside year round is pretty tough to beat here.

geochuck
November 16th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions but the boss (my wife) decided on Mexico but may drop in and see you on the way there. Look here Melague and Boca de Igauna. http://www.costalegre.ca/

SwiminONandON
November 16th, 2005, 10:05 AM
It's in the 30s today here ... I'm quitting my job shortly and getting into my car and heading south ... seriously though, cannot WAIT to move somewhere warm ... a year and a half ... good luck in Mexico ... don't forget about us ...

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 16th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Today I'm in Urbana Il., where the University is, it is snowing. we have roses and Pansies blooming. latter I'm going to western Illinois where I ive. There it is only 24 degrees today. How could such a beautiful spring, summer & fall become a terrrible winter so soon?

geochuck
November 16th, 2005, 11:04 AM
We are skiing here now but no snow in the city just in the hills http://www.grousemountain.com/report.cfm

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 16th, 2005, 11:17 AM
But we don't usually have snow until right after Thaksgiving and it lasts for about 20 minutes. Further norht in Illinois around Galena, they started to make snow today. this is the earliest they have ever been able to do that. I personally don't understand skiing at all. why woiuld some one purposefully want to be cold?

aztimm
November 16th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Beautiful out here in the Phoenix area. Was just outside to do a walk over lunch, was a little breezy, but at 75 or so I can't complain. Highs have/will be around 80 for a while now. What a wonderful way to spend your mid-November, although we do have to put up with a few months of warm weather in the summer.

laineybug
November 16th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by geochuck
Thanks for all the suggestions but the boss (my wife) decided on Mexico but may drop in and see you on the way there. Look here Melague and Boca de Igauna. http://www.costalegre.ca/

Darn! Maybe next year!:)

Enjoy your trip!

geochuck
January 31st, 2006, 02:51 PM
Darn it all plans did not work out just 2 weeks in Mexico and called back to have the knee operated on Feb 8th had do do all the preop stuff. After 6 weeks of physio heading back to Mexico for a couple of months. So will train in the local pool in Ladner BC http://www.corp.delta.bc.ca/EN/main/residents/recreation_and_parks_services/147/llc.html

Blue Horn
January 31st, 2006, 06:15 PM
You could always come down to Corpus Christi and hang out with your old friend, Bill Barton. It is a great little town with great people.

geochuck
January 31st, 2006, 09:45 PM
May head there on my way to Mexico. Say hi to Billy for me, he is a great guy.

geochuck
February 28th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Found a place to swim in Canada a house for sale with an indoor pool.
This is the house http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?PropertyID=3902690&Mode=0&Page=1&vs=1&rlt=&cp=&pt=20&mp=0-80000-0&mrt=-1-0-0&Beds=2-0&Baths=1-0&f=3&ft=all&o=A&of=1&ps=10&ptgid=1&aid=1055&MapURL=%3fAreaID%3d1055
This is the place http://quappelle.mendel.ca/

Alex
March 17th, 2006, 05:33 PM
I know it is getting warmer already everywhere, as Spring is about to come, but if anyone cares about a warm open watter event in Mexico (Chiapas state), and ruled by FINA, there is a 10/15 kms fine competition next month.

You can also swim the 5 km event if you want to compete in the Master category, although I think many of you would do very well in the open category (10/15 kms -- Women/Men), and maybe even break the event time record, that for men I understand is now from an Argentinian young guy.

The link is the next one:

http://www.asdeporte.com/evento.html?deporte=3&evento=1507

You won't have to worry about any sharks but maybe a little alligator.:D

geochuck
March 17th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Sounds great I am flying to Manzanillo this Saturday.

Alex
March 20th, 2006, 01:58 PM
George:

Manzanillo is too far awar from Tuxtla Gtz, Chiapas, where this competition is going to take effect, and also the competition is going to be until April 8.

Anyhow, some other races and open water events are programmed within Mexico for this year, in places like Cancun and Acapulco, and if you are interested I can send you the links when they are posted.:cool:

Alex
March 20th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by aztimm
Have you thought of coming to Arizona? The winter isn't warm like the summer......

Check out my team's website if you are interested: www.sundevilmasters.org
Here is the state's master's swimming site also:
http://www.arizonamasters.org/
There are also good teams in Tucson (at UofA) and uptown Phoenix (used to be called Phoenix Swim Club, now Brophy East I think). There are a bunch of smaller clubs scattered about, but these are the big 3. I'm sure if you contact one of the coaches they would be happy to help you.

Tim

Hello Tim, this past weekend I spend my time on an international competition down here in Mexico city, as one of my kids was competing on the 11-12 edge group. I remember seing some sundevil swimming caps that a very nice looking young girl was wearing and also an Arizona team named Blue Dolphins, are they from the club where you swim?:p

aztimm
March 20th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Alex
Hello Tim, this past weekend I spend my time on an international competition down here in Mexico city, as one of my kids was competing on the 11-12 edge group. I remember seing some sundevil swimming caps that a very nice looking young girl was wearing and also an Arizona team named Blue Dolphins, are they from the club where you swim?:p

There is a Sun Devil swim team that is part of USS or whatever the age group (kids) swimming is called these days. They use the main competition pool at ASU, but otherwise, there is no connection to the Sun Devil Masters team. We both get our names from the school (ASU), who's mascot is Sparky, the Sun Devil.

geochuck
September 8th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Here we go again back to the plan, Arizona or Texas here we come, then Melaque Mexico. Need the good spots to swim too many problems last year only did 2 x 2 weeks stays in all inclusive Resorts in Manzanillo.

Any new suggestions?