PDA

View Full Version : Hi there... Im just a 15yr old that need help.. hehe

RussianSwimma
February 5th, 2002, 11:29 PM
Alright here comes a long a** story.....

About a year ago i was in Mass Bay Marlins MBM and i think i was an ok swimmer and stuff. And here is what happened. In are new season i started to get sick allot and i have no idea why i never use to get sick im always at the practices and stuff. Then Igot sick ok mised 3 days and fine i started catching up and for me its really hard to catch up whenever i miss like 3 days it takes me a whole week to get back into the fisical condition. So that kept hppening to me and i was pissed of i was tired i had to do all the school stuff. I was tired and pissed of at evrything. So then one of my favorite coaches leaves his name was Mike and he was mad cool and great at dry land and thats like my fav thing to do. Then new coach comes in another Mike and i did like him to but not as much, so then he leaves and then another mike comes in.. and he leaves so i get to stay witht his other coach Tracy, and she is a great coach and all but just.... i dont know i didnt have the same fealing for the swimming and stuff and the sets the dry land wasnt the same. I started to get sick allot, miss practices and stuff again. And there is this kid he is new on are team and when he came in he was alright i liked the kid he was cool and I was faster then in some events. Then over 3 month period he started to catch up to me. And i am always a hard core worker *some times i slack off ;)* but i mean i always tryed my best. So i tryed working harder and trying to stay ahead of him and stuff. Then next thing i know wham he shoots by me his 100 back times are exactly like myn around 1:00 or .59, his fly is like 103 when myn is .58 and catching up to me. In free his much faster then me in anything over a 100, and breastroke... im not even going to go into that. So i started working harder and we were about the same speed. Then in spring of 2001 the school is almost over je starts to beat me in 100back and 200back, i start to add time.. and stuff. So it is time for some seniors to moveup that coaches choose and most fo the time the fastest people and the most hard working people move up... well then i find out my friends got moved up to nationals *that kid that im talking about and other dude* and I DONT GET TO MOVE UP.. and thats my first time im being kept back, the reason.... You missed allot of practices and didnt work as hard plus we need to work on your freestyle and breastroke... and i was like COMMON i was sick!! Jeez i tryed my best like i always do in swimming... and if i move up ill have more people pushing me all the faster kids and ill have to keep up with them and stff so i think that would of helped allot... so no i do not get moved up. So yeah i am REALLY pissed i am coming to some of the practices and stuff. Right before the champs i get sick and i do really bad and they said they would move me up if i would do really good, and no i dont do good im overtired and still sick. That improves his timed by 11 seconds and more more more and more. I just cant believe it. So then my coach sas see you next season and i say ok and leave go for vacation back to russia and stay there. and after that they havent seen me since. It has been almost a yr or i dont even know *a long time* and i swam little with my high school team and here are my times..

OLD TIMES NEW TIMES Times of that fast dude.
200IM 2:15 2:22 2:06
100free .55 .57 .51 <<HOLY SH*T
100fly .58 1:02 .58
100back .59 1:04 .58 and lower

And god u see i added some time and that kid droped so much time!! I mean Holy SH*T i was just thinking of coming back to swimmign just at different team and i dont even know if ill be able to catch back up to the dude and beat him... this is going to be very hard for me :( and all i need is you people help me to make my decision maybe tell me some wprk outs i can do on my own or i dont know just give me some comments on this........ Ogh god its 11;25pm im sooo sleepy, thank you for reading this i am going to sleep. Thank You

Sincerely,

Dmitriy, 15

SomeChick
February 6th, 2002, 09:13 PM
Greets, Dmitriy!

I'm probably not the person you're too interested in hearing from, but ... since others haven't taken a stab at it, I thought I would.

Basically, one of the keys to success in anything is this:

Worry more about improving yourself , and less about what others are doing.

Compete against yourself - improve your times, improve where you're weak. Maybe do some cross-training.

Remember that everyone's built differently, and it's a sad fact, but there are very few people who don't run across someone who advances more quickly than they do, in sport, in a job, in anything. This won't be the first, nor the last. And remember, you've passed people along the way, too.

Make yourself into a better athlete not by looking outside at what someone else is doing in comparison to you, but by looking inside and figuring out what your body needs you to do, in order for you to squeeze more out of it.

Good luck :)

Jill
http://www.somechickslife.com

RussianSwimma
February 6th, 2002, 09:47 PM
thank you for the reply, i understand and thats what i have been told allot of times. But I just think if i compete and race and push my self i will stay in shape be faster and just one more reason to actually train harder and have a goal on beating NOT only my own times but also my friends time.... I know some people advance faster then me in fisical and more stuff but i find it easyer for me to find a "target" and then just follow it and that way improving my own times and have competition :)

GZoltners
February 7th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Swim not to prove yourself "better" or "worse" than someone else, but to find what you are.

Be a smart swimmer; learn training and technique.
Be a dedicated swimmer; don't miss practice and be on time.
Be a tough competitor; never make it easy for the other guy to win.

Even the best in the world don't win every time. They do pay the price in the pool and elsewhere and eventually it pays off.

You can swim much faster, I dare say you can beat your friend. Fix your technique, train diligently. If you can't race your friend in practice, figure out where you need to be in practice. Have you gone under 30 in practice for 50s fly and back? Held under 1:10 on a longer set? Try to improve every day in speed, technique, or both. Are you stretching 10 minutes every night? Are you eating right? Are you getting enough sleep? Teenagers need a LOT of sleep, more than 9 hours a night. Figure out where you are lacking and fix it!

Swim fast,
Greg

jim thornton
February 7th, 2002, 01:08 PM
I remember when I was your age and pretty good at butterfly. This new guy came along who had never really done much swimming at all, and within a couple months he was easily beating me. It's extremely hard not to get jealous in situations like this, especially if you're competitive by nature. It never bothered me too much when some anonymous guy from another team whom I did not know could beat me. But the fact that I knew this one "nemesis" on my own team bugged the bejesus out of me!

I feel your pain, young Russian-born youth!

Having said this, I urge you to take to heart what the other guys have advised on this forum. Try as best you can (it's not always easy!) to focus on yourself and your performance, not on some external yardstick type competitor. People do develop at different rates, not just in swimming but all aspects of performance including intellectually and emotionally. The race is not always to the swift--i.e., this guy may beat you now, but five years from now, the winner will likely be the one of you who stayed with the sport and worked the hardest and smartest at it.

One last note, since this, after all, is a masters forum and most of us are a far distance from our teenage years. I was a pretty good swimmer as a teenager, but certainly not fantastically good. I'm now 49 and I've become (at least by my own standards) a really good masters swimmer--my times are comparable to what I did 30 years ago. I would be flabbergasted if any of my former teammates could beat me now, because none of them have continued to swim.

Swimming is a truly great lifelong sport. You may not believe it now, but it's actually more fun and more gratifying for a lot of us to swim in adulthood than it was in high school and/or college. The pressure is much lower, and the fun of hanging out with your friends (yes, we middle aged types hang out with our friends) is every bit as gratifying.

Bottom line: don't lose track of the Big Picture--you're 15, you've got at least 70 years more of competitive swimming to look forward to, and one day soon it will be hard to even remember the name of this current nemesis! Good luck.

Matt S
February 7th, 2002, 06:28 PM
Dmitriy,

Here is another thought for you. Have you considered how LUCKY you are to have another swimmer so close to your ability? Yes, it may be irritating that you were faster than this guy a few months ago. But, haven't you had some great races with him lately that you remember very well? I know you have, because you just spent some time telling the rest of us about them in this discussion group!

I can tell you that as an old fart with many fond memories of my younger swimming days, some of my best memories are the great races I had with other swimmers I knew well and competed against often. Consider that you can't have a Great Rivalry without a great rival. I'd bet you right now in a few years time some of your best "sea stories" will be about this guy who is making you a little nuts right now, and you will look forward to seeing him again if you get the chance.

Consider this true story. In the '96 Olympic Tom Dolan and Eric Namesnik went 1-2 in the 400 IM. Not only did they both swim for the U.S., they both swam on THE SAME COLLEGE TEAM at the Univ. of Michigan! Do you think maybe that Eric, the senior, was a little peeved when Tom, the freshman, showed up and took his best race away? But, do you also think that people have been for years talking about the year it was easier to win a silver medal in the Olympics than it was to be the #1 IM'er at the Univ. of Michigan?

I wholeheartedly agree with Jim, Greg and Jill that you should swim for your own satisfaction, and not beat yourself up because someone else is faster. Hey, even world record holders eventually get beat by some new guy. However, you can gain a lot of motivation and satisfaction from having a rival who will beat you, or lose to you about half the time. It makes your wins that much sweeter because they are not certain, and you know their worth. It makes your losses that much easier to bear because you know and respect swimmer who beat you. Stay with your old team, or find a new one as seems best to you, but this other swimmer should be your friend, not your enemy.

Matt

Mark in MD
February 8th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Hey Dmitriy,

Please follow Matt's advice, along with Jim, Greg and Jill. I am a just slighty more old fart than Matt and I know your frustration. Why? I started this Masters program five months ago, having never been coached before or entered a competition. It's been difficult to learn new techniques and dispose of bad habits. What's more, many times I compare my progress with a couple of friends on my team who competed in high school and college. To put it simply, "I beat myself up because someone is faster," to quote Matt. Recently, I think I have learned that eventually and with patience, I can progress even farther than I realize.

Beating yourself up leads to frustration. Frustration leads to p~~sing yourself off. P~~sing yourself off leads to your quitting swimming. And then, what do you have? Nothing! You've given up a great talent ... swimming. There's a tee shirt I have that says, "If swimming were easy, it would be called: baseball, basketball, soccer ... " I am sure we, as swimmers, knew that it ain't easy. In fact, nothing's easy in life that's worth working for.

I believe our friend in this Forum, Emmett, noted some time ago that a majority of people claim they can swim, but the reality is that even most of these folks can't swim well. (If if have this slightly incorrect, I apolgize to Emmett.) So, you, along with the rest of us, can take comfort in the fact that you are in a minority in that you truly can claim you swim well.

I think that Jim, Greg, Jill and Matt would agree with me in that you should keep us posted on your progress. We'd all be curious as to how you progress. Best of luck! :cool:

RussianSwimma
February 8th, 2002, 06:39 PM
Hey thx allot guys, i have spoken to this other dude he practices in the same pool as my high school team and ill be Joining North Shore club in about a week or 2 so ill be competing against my old team and that dude :).. thx allot for help!! Ill be starting to train harder and work out by my self in about 2 days and stuff so ill be getting back into shape... Once again thx allot.. and have a good night.

RussianSwimma
September 13th, 2005, 02:23 AM
DAMN this post is old. I actually found this post when I googled my name to find my old time results from meets 3 - 5 years ago. Well the true story to this is that I DID stress out, at the end did not get moved up to National group from senior for 2 years and just gave up. Yep... :-/ sorry guys. But hey you wanted to know how everything would work out. lol

I am actually into lifting weights now and hopefully will compete in natural shows some time soon tho. So I am proud of that :D .