PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started

lake
November 4th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Hi, Our community just opened a new pool and I am psyched! I have been swimming a 2-3 days a week now for about 3 months and have no problem (except running out of time) swimming 1750 yards freestyle. (I have been measuring goals in miles). Currently my goals are fitness related.

When i was a kid, I was on a swim team and loved it but have forgotten the lingo, the culture, how to work out, etc. I'm just swimming on instinct.

So now that I have a pool to swim in :), I am looking for resources to learn how to fine tune technique, put together workouts, know what times are reasonable, setting goals, etc.

Also, I am in my late 40's and recently have become concerned of what I am doing to my shoulders. As I swim I notice that i am favoring my left shoulder as the joint hurts when I pull hard through the water. My solution has been to alter strokes, etc. But still concerned. The last thing i want is an injury that will affect my ability to swim.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

MichiganHusker
November 4th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Reading the threads in the various discussion forums will help. Emmett Hines' book Fitness Swimming is great. Jane Katz has a great book too.

Helpful website to watch swimmers doing drills is www.goswim.tv

There are a large selection of workouts posted in the Workouts Discussion Forum that provide a glossary of terms.

Good luck!!