PDA

View Full Version : favorite "feeds"

sdswimmer
November 10th, 2005, 01:24 AM
The books thread was great and I've foudn some new things to read.
So what do you like for long distance feedings?
And what for afterwards?

geochuck
November 10th, 2005, 08:19 AM
You name it I have had it. I just have to set it on the table when I am eating dinner and I bring up. I hate them all but they are needed.

Kevin in MD
November 10th, 2005, 10:34 AM
I used honey at my last swim. Much like using hammer gel.

Other suggestions I have heard were endurox and accelerade.

The guys at the Channel Swim Association recommend sweetened tea when you stomach goes south.

geochuck
November 10th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Coca cola syrup loaded with carbs and caffeine mixed with whey powder and alittle water.

geochuck
November 10th, 2005, 10:42 AM
If we really knew the truth about dextrose it gets into the blood 3 mila seconds faster than white sugar. So what is the difference in Honey and white sugar syrup, Cliff Lumsden and Marilyn Bell used Crown Brand corn syrup (a paid sponsor).

Correction;- Sorry the brand of corn syrup was Bee Hive.

fatboy
November 10th, 2005, 11:56 AM
What's the first (shortest) distance that you need to plan on feeding during the swim?

geochuck
November 10th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Only had feedings on races 10 miles or over. That would be over a 4hr race and above.. feed every1 hr.

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 10th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by geochuck
Coca cola syrup loaded with carbs and caffeine mixed with whey powder and alittle water.
In college, the Hub (before it was renovated) use to have fresca syrup. I would mix it with some honey, table salt and water. I really think that I invented Gatorade.

sdswimmer
November 10th, 2005, 03:20 PM
umm yum bee hive corn syrup.
Do you find at some point you want real food? I've been experimenting with bits of potato and rice balls the potato holds up better.

Where do you find cola syrup (I vaugely remember it being a stomach remedy long ago)?

I think when you start feeding depends on conditions, your condition and how easy it is to get fed. Seems like todays swimmers like to feed more often and i know it helps me in cooler water to keep warm. Also when I do unsupported swims I like the extra boost of energy. On unsupported trianing swims lasting over 21/2 hours i like to feed (which means leaving a cache on a handy beach). I'm not sure i need calories for these as much as hydration.

geochuck
November 10th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by craiglll@yahoo.com
In college, the Hub (before it was renovated) use to have fresca syrup. I would mix it with some honey, table salt and water. I really think that I invented Gatorade. Fresca syrup??? no sugar? no carbs unless it is mixed with honey, I guess it would be OK but I hate green ( the bottle is green). I bought a house with green carpets and tore them out and I don't eat green food either.

geochuck
November 15th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Food for speed. http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Swimfast_20speed_20food

sdswimmer
November 15th, 2005, 09:06 PM
George- that reminds me of edible gear proposed for ultralight hikers.

I think I'll stick to some of these other concotions.
Anyone use rice balls?
Koolaide (my SO's favorite)
all the gels and "goos"?

clyde hedlund
November 17th, 2005, 06:22 AM
Vegemite of course: the secret of Aussie swimmers. clyde

F'ueco
November 19th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by sdswimmer
George- that reminds me of edible gear proposed for ultralight hikers.

I think I'll stick to some of these other concotions.
Anyone use rice balls?
Koolaide (my SO's favorite)
all the gels and "goos"?

Mmmm. Edible sleeping bags... :)

sdswimmer
November 19th, 2005, 10:40 PM
its a hilarious site check this out:
http://www.ediblegear.com/bags.html

Maybe I need to get a edible kayak and eat that.

Why is it I can eat oat cereal (trader joe's o's or cheerios) right before a swim but nothing else? Maybe I should try snacking on some while swimming.