PDA

View Full Version : Weird kick Pattern

fireguard
November 10th, 2005, 11:51 PM
I always feel it's almost impossible for me to know my kick pattern. I feel my kick is a mess. Today I paid some attention to it and found my pattern. I am using a 4 beat kick. There is a heavy beat with my left leg when my right arm enters. Then three light beats when my right arm does the entire stroke. The third beat is did by my right leg when I enter my left arm. Then I just repeat this kind of procedure when I swim.

So its like da, da, da, daaaa, da, da, da, daaaa, da, da, da, daaaa..........

I didn't see other people are doing this kind of stuff. Pretty weird. Also I guess this explains why I can't breath to both sides.

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 11th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Look at videos of Grant Hacket swimming at wrolds. His kick rythm is not real steady. He has one long kick with right hand then waits then some kicks.

fireguard
November 11th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by craiglll@yahoo.com
Look at videos of Grant Hacket swimming at wrolds. His kick rythm is not real steady. He has one long kick with right hand then waits then some kicks.
Yes, I checked. He uses this kind of kick a lot in 1500. I feel this kind of style puts a lot of pressure on the left arm.

Kevin in MD
November 13th, 2005, 07:33 AM
As you look around more you'll find that a lot of people do this. You aren't the only one. I did it for a while myself.

if you would like to go to a 2 beat or 6 beat kick, I think emmett Hines wrote the definitive articles in his bottom up swimming series.

http://www.h2oustonswims.org/articles.html

fireguard
November 13th, 2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Kevin in MD
As you look around more you'll find thazt a lot of people do this. You aren't the only one. I did it for a while myself.

if you would like to go to a 2 beat or 6 beat kick, I think emmett Hines wrote the definitive articles in his bottom up swimming series.

http://www.h2oustonswims.org/articles.html

Thank you, very interesting article. I will try it tomorrow.

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 22nd, 2005, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by fireguard
Yes, I checked. He uses this kind of kick a lot in 1500. I feel this kind of style puts a lot of pressure on the left arm.

Did everyone see that Hackett had another operation on his left shoulder. His problem is so apparent yet not corrected. does anyone think that he continues with this weird kick because "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." How many operations can he have onthe shoulder. It woud be so much easier for him to correct the kick.

knelson
November 22nd, 2005, 04:55 PM
I doubt it's the kick that's the problem. His pull is quite asymmetric, which causes his kick to be asymmetric to balance it out. I think the kick is merely a symptom of his unbalanced stroke.

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 23rd, 2005, 10:49 AM
That's sort of like wondering which can first the chickedn or the egg. I think that I've seen many people correct their stroke by correcting their kick. Legs are usually very heavy & can cause many problems.

MichiganHusker
November 23rd, 2005, 12:22 PM
I've noticed that if my head is properly aligned with my spine that my flutter kick is even and just go with the flow. When I lift my head to look forward, there is more pressure on my left arm (I breathe to the right) and my kick feels funny.

Basic principle of TI - press your buoy. ;)