PDA

View Full Version : Swimsuit question for well-endowed women

gettinshape
November 11th, 2005, 12:08 AM
Hello all-
I read one thread on this topic, but still have questions before I spend a lot of time shopping for a suit.

What suit do you backstrokers wear to keep from giving everyone a show?

I see online options of shelf, soft cup and underwires (??!!) in suits. What style is best?

As far as brands go, it looks like TYR is popular with women.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Tom Ellison
November 11th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Any advice is greatly appreciated!......

Speaking as a fellow Master Swimmer and a single guy...and understanding that we are all one big happy family.....Gosh, don't worry about this.....
Oh, and next week is backstroke week here and Deland and you are warmly invited to come down and swim with us....I look forward to seeing you.....;)

dorothyrde
November 11th, 2005, 07:40 AM
You are so bad Tom.........

I don't know that I am overly endowed, but am fairly curvy. I find the regular racing practice suits do a good job keeping everything in place. Don't buy them too big, they are suppose to be somewhat snug, so you don't move around. Then get in the water and swim and don't worry about people like Tom!....:)

ladybug010
November 11th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Ok so my method is to wear a suit that fits snuggly. Meaning I ignore the converted suit size to dress size and go with what fits and holds it in. I've found that the thick strap suits offer a better support system than their thin strap counterparts. Oh and I skip the shelf, soft cup and underwires. The best thing I can recommend is going to a place to try on different suit styles and sizes.

IndyGal
November 11th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Ditto for me... I buy a snug suit, something front-lined, no spaghetti straps. I avoid anything with a built-in bra -- I think they're uncomfortable and sort of pointless in the water. (Let's face it, the "girls" float in water anyway, and if the suit fits snugly it keeps them in place. :p )

Tom Ellison
November 11th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Oh no.....Tom's a good boy......honest....

dorothyrde
November 11th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Riiiggggghhhhhtt.

geochuck
November 11th, 2005, 09:27 AM
I go to Wreck Beach to see backstroke swimmers. http://www.vancouvertelevision.com/news/stories/2004/05/news-20040509-06.htm

dorothyrde
November 11th, 2005, 11:29 AM
I am afraid to click on this at work......

geochuck
November 11th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by dorothyrde
I am afraid to click on this at work...... It is ok to click on the corrected site the first one was x rated so I changed it. Here is the beach http://www.pbase.com/hoangt/image/33699169 and this is Vancouver http://www.pbase.com/hoangt/life_in_vancouver&page=all the best place in yhe world to live and were I go after the winter in Mexico.

SwiminONandON
November 11th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Tom Ellison
Any advice is greatly appreciated!......

Speaking as a fellow Master Swimmer and a single guy...and understanding that we are all one big happy family.....Gosh, don't worry about this.....
Oh, and next week is backstroke week here and Deland and you are warmly invited to come down and swim with us....I look forward to seeing you.....;)

Let me know when it's fly or IM week ...

nkfrench
November 11th, 2005, 12:46 PM
One of my teammates forgot her own swimsuit for one practice and borrowed an old yellow suit that was in the bottom of her daughter's swim bag. When I got to the pool she was swimming backstroke, saw me, and started waving "hi" while she swam. She was totally unaware that the entire front of her swimsuit was transparent and that every male on the deck, in the pool, or in the spectator seating area had zeroed right in on that.

Back on track: wide straps, front-lined, tight fit. If you have to get a larger "fitness" suit don't get anything more structured than "shelf". Try wearing two suits to get a snug fit. I have seen some elite swimmers who wear a sports bra or sports bikini top underneath to get additional coverage while training.

A loose stretched-out suit that allows motion and scoops water can add a lot of seconds to each 100 yards/meters, on the order of 10% . So it's more than propriety at stake.

Tom Ellison
November 11th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Heather......IT IS ALWAYS FLY OR IM WEEK FOR YOU! Come on down...door one, door two or door three.....they all are open....
Kindest regards,
Mr. Moose...............

..........................................and Ralph:D

jim clemmons
November 12th, 2005, 03:05 AM
Kindest regards,

Jim sends his as well.

If any of you are in our area looking for a place to swim, please, stop on in.

geochuck
November 12th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Jim is the invitation to me also?

jim clemmons
November 12th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Absolutely George. You can come by anytime you'd like.

Tom Ellison
November 12th, 2005, 09:25 PM
George...you can come here anytime you want and you have a nice place to stay....BUT.... you have to wear a guys suit......esp when swimming back stroke....:D

swimlong
November 13th, 2005, 12:35 AM
hey guys, talking about hijacking threads...your inane giggles show how immature you are...I teach junior high boys who you' d probably have a lot in common with.

To the original thread:

a tight fitting encapsulation sports bra, in polyester or other synthetic fibre (no cotton for obvious drag reasons) underneath a regular suit can really help. For the extra seams, some Body Glide or even vaseline can help - it's available wherever triathalon stuff is sold.

Large breasted runners often wear two running bras - so for practices at any rate, two suits may help. One woman at my local pool wears a Speedo triathalon top under a regular suit (standard polyester practice suit).

Other suggestions have been to wear a really tight suit. I agree, but sometimes it can be a little too obvious if the water is a little chilly... which may seem trivial, but it's stuff like this that can keep people out of the water. Band-aid makes some waterproof circlular bandaids that work well - if you are self conscious about your nipples showing.

gettinshape
November 13th, 2005, 02:30 AM
Thanks all for your input! I have a much better idea of which direction to go in while shopping.

And Tom.....gee....what girl can turn down that offer...

Tom Ellison
November 13th, 2005, 10:47 AM
"your inane giggles show how immature you are...I teach junior high boys who you' d probably have a lot in common with. "

I posted with innocent, decent and playful humor as my intent...Swimlong, don't take life to serious....it is fatal you know.....

Having said that, I am MAN enough to humbly apologize if my posts offended you because that was not my intent….

geochuck
November 13th, 2005, 10:52 AM
I actually think the giggle started with the first post.

Tom Ellison
November 13th, 2005, 11:21 AM
George…was that "giggle"…or…"jiggle"? I’m sorry, I couldn’t help myself…..

Hawaiiwoman
November 13th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Tom,
I'm not offended, just hoping some guy will post a comparable question regarding swimsuits for "endowed" men. Then we (us women) could giggle, or jiggle, or whatever! :D
I'm especially interested in figuring out where we will put the circular bandaids.

Tom Ellison
November 13th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Becky...I'm going to leave that question/wonder to some of these young guns....;)

sdswimmer
November 13th, 2005, 08:13 PM
I used to have this problem and have foudn a variety of solutions over time:
I preferred the speedo proback long (with front lining) and the nylon ones for practice, the back piece has to be in just the right place to hold you in, I found the position of the back strap more important than the tightness. Double suits in practice are good both for coverage and and of course added drag. Make sure once you find the perfect suit to get a few extras that you can keep nearly new for meets.
Also some triathlon tops are more supportive than regular suits. I find the tyr workout bikini tops to be very supportive and wear those now, you might try some either alone or under a 1pc I think they are more comfortable than a sports bra. A larger well endowed woman I swim with finds certain "fashion" bikini tops fit very well and uses those. Roxy makes suits in cup/band sizes and although they are not true lap suits they can work well if you can find the right models.

Another thing you could try if its really bothering you is a triathlon singlet over your top, they are meant to swim in and cover everything up.

Hawaiiwoman
November 13th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Tom Ellison
Becky...I'm going to leave that question/wonder to some of these young guns....;)

Good move, Tom....it could get pretty bad! :D