PDA

View Full Version : Caloric Intake

MikeB
November 11th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Hello all -

Just interested to know what kind of diets everyone has compared to what distance you all do each day.

I'm trying to drop a few pounds (already lost 25 lbs in 2 months!) so I'm strictly monitoring my intake and output. Something seems screwy, though, because I'm not seriously limiting my intake, but I'm not having any problems staying below 1500 kCal/day... I want to keep losing weight/fat, but of course I don't want to be shorting myself and doing damage to my body...

The other odd thing is that although my calculations have me at an average of 1400 kCal/day, and an output of ~3100 kCal/day, but my weight has pretty much stagnated at 175lbs. I guess that is just because I'm building muscle, which is adding weight, but still losing fat....

I'm 30 years old, 175lbs (now), 5'10", and I swim around 2500 SCM/day.

I'd be very interested in anyone's thoughts... What is your intake like? Do you stay away from or try to stick to any types of foods in particular?

Thanks!

Mike B

etrain
November 11th, 2005, 09:46 AM
To tell you the truth, I eat just about anything I want and at any time I want... Sorry, I have a really good metabolism and I am waiting for it to ssslllllooooowwwww ddddddooooooowwwwwnnnnnnnnnn... Anyways, I swim about 3 to 4 times a week doing anywhere from 3000-4000 yards a practice. I usually lift weights 3 times a week in the morning and usually do the Nordic Track for 30 minutes the other 2 days in the week. The weekend I am usually doing yard or home improvements and don't really have the time or energy to do much...

I don't think it would be wise to cut more cal's but I could be wrong. I would try to increase your yardage to maybe 3000, and see if you see any weight loss. I do agree that you are probably replacing the fat with muscle, and that is probably why you have leveled off. It will probably start to come off in another week or so if you can keep up with the current workouts.

Just my $0.02...

etrain

SwiminONandON
November 11th, 2005, 10:21 AM
I also eat pretty much whatever I want whenever I want ... However, it is not wise to go below 1,500 cal/day. Try working out a bit more, adding more interval type workouts in maybe ... your body has an ideal weight (for some it is more that others) and it will pretty much hit and sit at that ideal weight unless you do something dramatic to alter that.

By dramatic I mean sit on your couch and eat bags of chips and gallons of ice cream and never workout or workout non-stop and eat really, really well ...

Make sure you are eating healthy, moderation is key, deprevation will only lead you to over eat.

Good luck!

hmlee
November 11th, 2005, 10:32 PM
I tend to eat really big meals, but I don't eat all that frequently during the day. Haven't really been counting my calories, but I'm losing pounds so I guess it's all good.

My teammates though...haha. Some of them are crazy. Which is I guess to be expected from a college swim team. We had a meet today and my coach was relating to us a story of the girls swim team a few years ago. She said that she and her husband (who is the men's soccer coach) had the girls team over for a pasta dinner. Apparently the girls swim team can eat more than the entire guy's soccer team! (And there were fewer girls too!)

dorothyrde
November 12th, 2005, 08:09 AM
I don't think you should be cutting your calories so low. It is odd, but if you cut out too much food, you actually force your body to hang onto fat, and canabolize muscle. That is exactly what you don't want. You want to aim for no more than a 2 pound loss a week. That is a calorie deficit of 7000 calories a week. or a 1000 a day. if you are eating 1500, and burning 3100, and your body needs 1500-2000 calories to sustain everyday activities, you are in serious depravation, and your body just does not like that.

Seriously, up your calories, but don't up them with empty calories. Use healthy fats to cook with such as sunflower oil, olive oil, healthy carbs, whole wheat pasta, baked potatoes. It is not that hard to add a few 100 calories of healthy foods, and it may give your metabolism a poke to get the rest of the weight off.

Also, if you are not doing any resistance training, I would start. Adding muscle is another way to give that metabolism a shove and keep it up. Another benefit, you can way a little more, but not look like it. So hit the weights, do those push-ups and walking lunges.

swimr4life
November 12th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Never skip breakfast! It is so important! Try to eat a balanced diet with lots of fruit and vegetables. DRINK WATER! Never skip meals....in fact eat small HEALTHY snacks between meals if you get hungry.

Simple advice.... MODERATION!