PDA

View Full Version : Powering to 15m

Draconis
November 13th, 2005, 10:06 PM
How many of you poeple actually power to the 15m mark using underwater dolphin kick during a, say, 100m free race? 50m free race? (in SC)
I've watched a lot of the videos of Athens and Montreal meets, and I didn't find a lot of dolphin kicks during 100m free races. Jason Lezak during the 4x100 Medley Relay immediately popped out and started dashing furiously. So for you guys, are your dolphin kicks slower or faster than your freestyle stroke? And do you use dolphin kicks to 15m?

F'ueco
November 14th, 2005, 12:58 AM
I always did for the short races.

My underwater dolphin kick IS faster than my freestyle. In fact, my fly stroke is faster than freestyle up to about 50 yards...

kristilynn
November 14th, 2005, 07:37 PM
I don't think that I've ever actually made it to the 15m mark in a race. I'm not a very strong kicker (dolphin or flutter), so it's much more to my advantage to get to the surface shortly after the flags, before I loose my momentum from the turn/start. Plus, I'm a distance swimmer, so I need to use my oxygen efficiently.

One of the boys who swims on the team I coach has an excellent underwater dolphin kick, and he takes full advantage of the 15m rule in his backstroke. However, I've never seen him stay under that long on his sprint freestyle.

Draconis
November 15th, 2005, 12:19 AM
Is a good dolphin kicker, like people say about good flutter kickers, born not made? Can you, by strengthening your core, improve your dolphin kick to such an extent that it is faster than your freestyle, even if you weren't born with ankles that can flex to about 45 or 90 degrees from your leg :D. ?

F'ueco
November 15th, 2005, 09:13 AM
I used to have a terrible dolphin kick.

Must be all about the core strength.

SwiminONandON
November 15th, 2005, 11:03 AM
A lot of times they pop out farther than you think but they are just so darn fast in their dolphin kicks that you might not notice. You want to have a good breakout. You don't want to go too deep on your dive.

If you can powerfully, quickly and efficiently dolphin kick to the 15m mark do it! Test out and see what is faster. You also want to avoid the wake coming off of the wall (especially in 50s and 100s) so you want to get under that and dolphin your butt off to at least the flags.