PDA

View Full Version : Swimming and traveling

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 15th, 2005, 03:32 PM
this weekend, I was in DC. I lived there in the 80s & early 90s. I swam where I used to swim & at a pool I had never been to before. I highly recommend finding a team when you travel, hunt own the pool & do a workout with strangers. It makes the whole world af swimmign so much more than staying in your world.

feelinblue
November 15th, 2005, 04:54 PM
I was thinking of starting a thread like this, as well...
I agree that swimming when traveling can be an awesome experience. I've made a point over the past year or two to find places to swim wherever I happen to find myself. It not only gets you out of your comfort zone, it's also a good way to mix with the "locals."
Coolest experience to date would probably be swimming in this hotel pool in Zermatt, Switzerland (which I found by going onto Swimmersguide.com--a great resource!) One whole wall was glass, so every time I turned to breathe, I could see the Matterhorn.
Anyone else want to share interesting swimming while traveling experiences?

Paul Smith
November 15th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Spending over 100 days a year on the road I make a bit of a carrer out of it.......and love the diversity in coaching/training that I find.

One of the things I've mentioned to the marketing Cmte is looking at a way to better promote this.......first and foremost we need coached to be very involved to make it work (keeoing workout times, locations, etc. updated on this site).

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 15th, 2005, 07:13 PM
When I swam in a pool where I used to swim in the 80s, it was so emotional and brought back so many wonderful memories. The pool is in a very transient neighborhood. I woudl love to know what happened to the guys& gals who swam at Marie Reed in DC in the eighties.

Guvnah
November 16th, 2005, 12:39 PM
I generally don't seek out a team to work out with, but it is almost a non-negotiable issue for me that I find a place to work out.

I start with YMCAs. I have a YMCA membership, and almost anywhere I go the local Y accepts my membership. YMCA has a program called "AWAY" (Always Welcome At the Ymca.) (Sometimes there are restrictions, such as a limit to the number of AWAY visits I can make in a 6-month period, and some YMCAs still charge me a guest fee, though when they do, it's 50% of the usual guest feel.)

If I strike out with the YMCAs, then I look at the "where to swim" page on this USMS board.

For instance, last week I was on business in Pleasanton, CA. The nearest YMCA was in Oakland (about 45 mins away.) Scrap that!

But the USMS page showed that there was a pool at a fitness center called "Club Sport." I gave them a call. They told me I could swim there if I had a membership at "24-hour Fitness" and some other reciprocal gyms, but I do not. Then they told me that guests staying at the Hilton in Pleasanton are given complimentary passes to "Club Sport." So guess where I booked my room?

It was a heated 25-yard outdoor lap pool. Very nice. (Cold trip to the pool from the club house!) At 5AM it was pitch black outside and 45 degrees, there was steam rising from the pool. The lighting was all under water. Quite eerie. Water temp was 80 degrees. Not crowded at all. They had an ajacent "fitness pool" (smaller, warmer) for walkers, floaters and q-tips.

I'm sure I'll be back to Pleasanton, and now I know where to swim there.

nkfrench
November 16th, 2005, 01:31 PM
You might enjoy Laurie Kilmartin's website with her pool reviews.

http://www.kilmartin.com/pools.html

David E. Morrill
November 16th, 2005, 11:01 PM
if you travel south -really south of the usa- send me an e-mail in advance, probably I'll be able to give you names and e-mails to contact for working out... write me at latycar@latycar.org

Saludos!!

Sam Perry
November 16th, 2005, 11:55 PM
I travel a lot also. I love finding groups to swim with and get to meet the locals. I was in Argentina a month ago and swam with a team there. It was humorous, I spoke almost no Spanish the coach spoke almost no English. One swimmer basically translated for us. By the end of the workout (which was from 9:00 - 11:00 pm!), the coach had every one get out of the pool and watch me swim. It was completely embarrassing, but a great experience to say the least.

I can't swim on my own as it is, swimming is boring by myself. So finding a group to train with holds me accountable and allows me to meet people from all over the world literally.

Old Flyer
November 17th, 2005, 01:42 PM
If I am travelling more than 2 days, I will look to visit a local master's group. Mostly find workout places on the regional master's website and you can email the coach to discuss dropping in for a workout. Most have been very accommodating in allowing a visitor. Sometimes this requires purchasing a day-pass at the facility, but $5 -$10 is worth the experience to meet other swimmers and get in a good workout while on the road. This year I've dropped in on clubs in Itasca (Chicago), Denver, Houston and Irvine.

I will be in Nice, France the first week of December. I've been having a harder time finding a masters group there from the French Masters website, http://www.ffnatation.fr/webffn/index.php?idact=mtr&go=act_main Maybe if I understood French?

aztimm
November 17th, 2005, 02:57 PM
I've swam in various pools around the world but have never done a coached workout except with my normal masters teams. They always seem too early (6am suddenly seems early when you're in vacation mode) or interfered with my other activities.

I'd definitely agree, its a great way to meet locals. I somehow found some great pools in Tokyo (50m) and it seemed like everyone who spoke any English had to come up and find out what my story was. It is always a great way to relax and unwind at the end of the day, I remember after a long day of traveling through Switzerland (after an overnight train there from Amsterdam) finding a great pool in Luzern.

feelinblue
November 20th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Old Flyer,
Here's a link you can copy and paste into your browser...it lists the current Masters clubs in Nice along with their contact info. Some have phone #s; others just have websites (and one or two have neither, apparently).
If you need any help translating the websites, let me know...your best bet might be to just call though. Someone will most likely speak at least basic English.

http://www.ffnatation.fr/webffn/index.php?idact=mtr&go=ffn_structures_rch&FFNbase=2&idclb=nice