PDA

View Full Version : The Best Master Swimmers???

Its a slow show
November 16th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Using a criteria that includes continuous years of dominance, records held and for how long, performance during all five years of each age group swam in, plus outstanding single swims during careers. What swimmers would you rate at the top of the Masters's latter. This could fun hope you all join in.

strong440
November 16th, 2005, 08:14 PM
June Krauser and Paul Hutinger have been Masters Swimmers from the beginning year of 1970. Have always been in the top tens, often (if not usually #1) in their events- that is to say everything.

There are other greats, but none better from the word go.

newmastersswimmer
November 17th, 2005, 11:06 AM
I think that is a very hard question to answer since there are so many top level masters swimmers out there......Based on your set of criteria though, it seems you would have to rule out most elite masters swimmers that are below 60 years of age since they can't stand up to some of the older swimmers in terms of being at the top for the longest time stretch.

I personally am way too new to masters swimming to have an opinion based on all the criteria you mentioned.....but I will give two names that I think are near the top of the list if you just consider overall dominance over thier current competition (or over thier competition in the past). I am blown away by Rich Abrahams simply because he is so fast at age 60 and so far ahead of the other swimmers in his age group in his best events.....I can't see how the very top level swimmers in the world at the time Rich was in his early twenties could have been all that much faster than Rich is today in fact....although I don't know the exact time comparisons there. As far as female masters swimmers go, I give the nod to Karyln Pipes-Neilson for just being so dominant in such a wide range of events for so many years.....Although I don't know if she is still competing or not?. For a while at least Dr. Ron Karnaugh was way ahead of most of his competition too....but he is way too young to be considered over the long haul. It is a tough question to pick just one best male masters swimmer and one best female masters swimmer......There are an awful lot of outstanding masters swimmers out there.....The other day I was looking at some of the records in my age group (40 -44).....and I couldn't believe some of the times Bill Specht turned in for example....especially his 200 short course meter butterfly record....Dennis Baker's records are also hard to fathom.....but then again pretty much all of the records there are hard to fathom as well.

Newmastersswimmer

knelson
November 17th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Does USMS have anything like a Hall of Fame? I know there are All Stars and All Americans, but these are yearly honors.

Old Flyer
November 17th, 2005, 01:16 PM
You have to include Jim McConica who has been setting freestyle, especially distance, records since before 1990. Also have to include Fred Schlicher who still holds New England Masters records in 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55 age groups. Fred's 1981 times in 200fr, 200fly, and 200IM are still New England records

Frank Thompson
November 17th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Kirk:

The International Swimming Hall of Fame as been inducting aquatic sports masters athletes since 1995. Masters is represented in Swimming, Diving, Water Polo, and Synchro. USMS has had representation almost every year starting in 1995 with the induction of Clara Walker and Gus Langer. You can see a list of masters swimmers by going to the ISHOF website which is linked to this website. You can also view lists at www.usms.org/swimgold/hist/husmshof.htm and www.ishof.org/INTLMASTERS.html

USMS has a committee devoted to nominating masters swimmers and Ginger Pierson is the chair of that committee.

Its a slow show
November 21st, 2005, 10:28 AM
A great swimmer who I haven't seen in last few years is Tim Garton.
He had the strongest free kick I have ever seen in Master's was a great 100 and 200 man and a super IMer. I know he was battling some illness.

Matt S
November 23rd, 2005, 03:34 PM
Uh folks,

Why is the list of criteria for "great" limited to how fast someone can go as an individual athlete?

Right on this very web site we say, "United States Masters Swimming (USMS) is a national organization that provides organized workouts, competitions, clinics and workshops for adults aged 18 and over. Programs are open to all adult swimmers (fitness, triathlete, competitive, non-competitive) who are dedicated to improving their fitness through swimming."

I see a large emphasis on participation, and not so much on crowning the fastest of the fast. We're not FINA. World Records and elite level swimming is not the pinacle of what we are about.

Having said all that, why doesn't "great" include any consideration of service to the organization, or bringing swimming to other people? (Or maybe even a little relay swimming dominance, which at least has some element of recruiting other fast swimmers to join your team, and getting all four people on the same page, for the love of Pete!)

By that standard, someone like June Krauser, who is a founding member, long time volunteer and leader for USMS, as well as someone who had dominated as an individual swimmer for decades, really jumps to the head of the list.

Hey, just asking.

Matt

Its a slow show
November 23rd, 2005, 06:47 PM
Hey! lets get all touchy feely!! I am just attempting to get input on the top master swimmers. The criteria was just an attempt to create some guide lines-nothing more. There is room for everyone in Masters and great swimmers, indeed, that don't hold the records etc. who are just great people, competitors -whatever.