PDA

View Full Version : IM questions

SwiminONandON
November 17th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Frequently at practice we'll swim reverse order IM and I swim those as well as or better than regular order. I am wondering how things would if the order changed. For argument's sake, just flip the breaststroke and fly ... would this give the flyers the advantage in IM? Does the breaststroker advantage come from being the third stroke?

I know we've done this before but what would your preferred IM order be? Mine would be BR, Bk, Fl, Fr ...

knelson
November 17th, 2005, 10:49 AM
I think the breaststroke advantage is more because it's the slowest stoke. Those who can make it "less slow" compared to the other three strokes have any advantage.

fatboy
November 17th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Backstrokers would get an advantage if back was first and you had to do a backstrole start.

Sabretooth Tiger
November 17th, 2005, 01:10 PM
The best way to improve the IM would be to eliminate backstroke leg and replace it with . . . oh . . . just about anything else.

newmastersswimmer
November 17th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Actually I want breaststroke taken out all together.....something like fly/back/fly/free.......Maybe we need an event where you swim a modified IM in which you can sub out your weakest of the non-freestyle strokes and sub in your strongest non-freestyle stroke in it's place.....If there was such an event I might actually consider swimming IM's again (as these modified IM's).....Unfortunately my agegroup swimming coach has entered me in the 200 IM and the 200 Back in the meet this weekend....(he personally enters every swimmer in the events he wants us to swim at each meet....which kinda suks).....Anyway, I've never swam a 200 back at a meet in my entire life (agegroup years and college and as a master swimmer).....I don't even know if I can do a legal backstroke start for example?.....What was he thinking!....I guess I better get mentally prepared for some serious pain this weekend!

Newmastersswimmer