PDA

View Full Version : Independant swimmers

69gscal
November 21st, 2005, 12:10 PM
I simply do not have the time to dedicate to swimming on a team, yet I'd still like to comete in a few meets throughout the year.

Do most meets accept independant swimmers, or am I going to be forced to join a team if I want to compete?

Sabretooth Tiger
November 21st, 2005, 12:17 PM
You can swim unattached (except at worlds) but still have to register with USMS. You should know, however, that associating with a team really doesn't take any additional time as you're training anyway (right?) and it may give you more training options.

patrick
November 21st, 2005, 02:59 PM
Carl,

Actually I plan to train by myself this upcoming year and was going to swim UNAT for any meets.....what's the policy for World's, I believe I read it here on a previous post. I assume I can join a team of my choice before that (something about not swimming in a meet 60 days prior to joining a team?). Thanks for the clarification.

Patrick

scyfreestyler
November 21st, 2005, 03:40 PM
You won't be able to swim on any relays without being attached to a team. I am a member of MBAY Masters and I have yet to meet the coach, let alone any members besides the three people who signed up with me to swim in a relay.

Anthony Thompson
November 22nd, 2005, 10:00 AM
When you register with USMS, the registration take place within a LMSC (local masters swim committee). Within USMS, there are 53 LMSC which operate collectively under USMS rules but each have their own bylaws. Within each LMSC, there may be as few as ONE club and as many as 50+ clubs. Depending on the LMSC, an affilation with a club give only the advantage to participate on relays at USMS meets (and as previously stated, at FINA meets to register for individual events, you must affliate with a club. This is done to be consistent with international rules and most other countries require club affliation).

USMS clubs within LMSC vary widely. For examples, our small LMSC (Missouri Valley or MOVY) only has one club, despite the fact we are the entire state of Kansas and western half of Missouri. When you register with MOVY, you have two options - affiliate with our one club or be unattached. Since our club has no central structure and provides no significant benefits (other than the ability to swim on relays with "local" team members), the club has not dues, no organized workouts with deck coaches, no newsletter, but does make an effort to coordinate relays at USMS and FINA meets. The LMSC does have about a dozen workout groups who have organized workouts with deck coaches, along with a number of swimmer who train as "independents". Therefore, clubs within USMS LMSC differ a lot from the traditional AAU/YMCA/USA-Swimming clubs. Other USMS clubs true do compare and have active program of workouts with deck coaches, etc.

Within USMS, you can live in one LMSC (geographically) but register with a geographically different LMSC. Some clubs will recruit member to build relays. For examples, we have two swimming in MOVY who register with Virginia LMSC to swim on relays. Other swimmers will spend years in one LMSC, feel a loyalty and stay affliated with them after the move to a new geographic home.

Best of luck with your training - enjoy opportunities to participate in competition as an unattached swimmer or join a club within your LMSC or reconnect with friend/family in another club.

Anthony Thompson, LMSC Chair MOVY

patrick
November 22nd, 2005, 11:08 AM
Thanks Anthony,

I relocated from Texas to NYC and have an option to swim UNAT or UNAM (which means I can swim with other Metro swimmers on realys). I'll contact the Metro Registrar and see what my options are......can I "join" a club from another LMSC for purposes of swimming at Worlds? I think I can.

Anthony Thompson
November 22nd, 2005, 11:36 AM
Partick and the Discussion Forum:

If you currently register as unattached with Metropolitain LMSC and chose to affiliate with a Texas club or any other LMSC's club, it is actually a two step process. First, you have to transfer from one LMSC to another. Second, in your new LMSC, you can choose to affiliate with a club. During the transfer process, if you were affiliated with a club, you cannot register with a new club for 60 day period. All of this is covered in the USMS Rule Book under section 201.

Alternatively, if you are registed unattached with Metro LMSC, you will need to affiliate with a club within Metro LMSC at anytime.

If you are planning on swimming at Worlds in August, I would encourage you to make decision and provide ample time for the registrar to process the changes to affiliate with a club (and perhaps, changes LMSC). You will need your club affiliation on your registration form for Worlds. The local organizing committee has been encouraging participants to enter early to facilitate planning for the overall events. You can register, and later changes events or seed time, upto the deadlines.

Again, best of luck with your training and any upcoming competitions - and see you at Worlds in August !

Anthony Thompson