PDA

View Full Version : See This??

Sam Perry
November 22nd, 2005, 10:45 PM
Wanted to know if anyone saw this yet. INCREDIBLE!

http://swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/10297.asp

dorothyrde
November 23rd, 2005, 06:43 AM
That is insanely fast.

swimr4life
November 23rd, 2005, 08:33 AM
WOW! HOW?.....THAT IS UNBELIEVEABLY FAST. I WANT TO KNOW HOW HE TRAINS!!

Frank Thompson
November 23rd, 2005, 10:05 AM
Beth:

There is an excellent article about Dennis Baker in the current issue of Swimming World (November 2005) issue. He talks about his training and how he finds time to fit it in coaching 3 teams. In the article it stated that his 400 Free time from this years Long Course Nationals at 4:12.26 was equal to what another swimmer from Oregon named Don Schollander, who did that same time on his way to 4 Gold Medals in the 1964 Olympics. In fact there is an article about Don Schollander in the current issue as well.

He says he is old school and goes between 45,000 to 50,000 in volume 6 days a week. The article says he is planning to swim at the 2006 World Championships in August 2006 in his new age group 45-49. He lists his favorite set as 12 X 200's on 3:00 Free in Long Course split negatively by 100's and descending. He thinks that swimmers don't do enough negative spliting either in practices or in their races. The set he says teaches you self control if you can survive.

Judging from the 500 Fly he swam the negative spliting is paying off and he shows a lot of self control and has no problem surviving.

joy
November 23rd, 2005, 10:51 AM
The article states 45,000 to 50,000 meters which he does. He also coaches the age groupers, the little ones just learning how to swim, & our masters group 5 x's a week plus more. We do alot of negative splitting and control work & drills. We do the same things as Dennis does but @ a masters level. It has helped alot in our swimming. We just had our NW Masters SCM Championships & our pool last weekend & our girls set a World record in the 200m Medley Relay thanz to our coaches training.

BillS
November 23rd, 2005, 07:10 PM
I had the privilege of watching Dennis swim the 200 fly and 400 IM last weekend, which he did in between performing his duties as meet director. My teammate described his swimming as poetry in motion. That description is accurate. Truly an inspiration.

Steve Ruiter
November 28th, 2005, 07:09 PM
I had the pleasure of swimming in the lane next to Dennis at that meet in both the 200 Fly and 400 IM. I would have preferred to watch him from the deck rather than from a lap behind!

newmastersswimmer
November 30th, 2005, 03:07 PM
originally posted by Steve R.

I had the pleasure of swimming in the lane next to Dennis at that meet in both the 200 Fly and 400 IM. I would have preferred to watch him from the deck rather than from a lap behind!

I was just perusing over the results of the Northwest Masters 2005 SCM Zone Championships and I saw your times Steve. I am very impressed! If I can swim anywhere close to your butterfly times at my upcoming SCM meet (on Dec 10 -11) then I will be very happy. I am also swimming the 50, 100, and 200 butterfly. I have decided to bag the IM's though since I can't swim them very well anymore (the breaststroke and backstroke are just too pathetic for me these days!). I am trading the IMs this season for middle distance freestyle events....and so I'm also swimming the 200 and 400 freestyle ....(and the 50 freestyle since its just up and back). I'll let you know how it turns out after its all over.

How long have you been back into masters swimming (if you don't mind my asking)? If you can swim that fast after just getting back into swimming than you have a lot to be happy about. Swimming right next to Dennis would make just about anybody from any age-group look bad.....He's just an exceptionally talented and hardworking swimmer.....sort of in a league all to himself really.

Newmastersswimmer

Jani Sutherland
November 30th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Dennis is from Oregon and yes, we know about it and are very proud!!!