PDA

View Full Version : this week's question: dryland for open water what do you do?

sdswimmer
November 25th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Seems like everyone nods and grunts about dryland work. Pool swimmers seem more enthusiatic.
My questions are : Do you do some sort of regular routine, wieghts, stretching or cords?
What do you do and how did you choose it?
Does it seem to help?

For the Northern Hemisphere, winter is here so it seems like time to dust off a routine and start using it but only if it is going to actually help!

Kevin in MD
November 29th, 2005, 10:44 AM
I do rehab/prehab for my shoulders year round to keep them from going all wonky. I also do a circuit that hits all the major muscle groups in 15 minutes.

sdswimmer
December 2nd, 2005, 11:21 PM
Kevin,
what do you do for your shoulders?

F'ueco
December 4th, 2005, 10:36 PM
I just run and bike, and ski on the weekends (assuming that we get snow some time this winter).

For me, it's mostly about the endurance. And not getting burned out on any one thing.

Kevin in MD
December 16th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by sdswimmer
Kevin,
what do you do for your shoulders?

I do many of the exercises outlined in the .

USA Swimming Shoulder Injury prevention exercises (http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/ViewMiscArticle.aspx?TabId=445&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en-US&mid=700&ItemId=700)

PoulsboH20
December 23rd, 2005, 01:43 PM
I've found that 3 sessions per week of strengh training and stretching is optimal for me. Gone are the days of heavy weights and short reps replaced now with either 3 sets (8 reps, 16 reps, 16 reps) or 2 sets (12 reps, 12 reps) of free weights or machines if necessary. I can get in a good dryland workout in about 50 minutes assuming no chatty chicks ;). Running is completely banned from my workout although I'm experimenting with an eliptical trainer with some success.
Overall, I've found that sitting down with a trainer with some swimming experience has saved me a lot of wasted time. I never thought that I would admit that!

Bottom Line: Only a base of swimming fast will help you swim fast. Dry land is nice to vary the routine and (with age) maintain appropriate muscle mass and avoid injury.