PDA

View Full Version : Non-Flip Turns

lexington476
November 27th, 2005, 06:32 PM
I plan to do a master meet this coming Saturday, doing one or two of the shorter freestyle races. I am not that fast or good yet, and my flip turn can be somewhat unpredictable (sometimes I do it good, sometimes I end up all over the place), I know it is just something I have to work on, and I am. However, I do not think I will be making a major improvement in six days.

What would be the next fastest (and more reliable) way to turn around in doing freestyle?

Also, I might try and do the 50 yard butterfly, and more then likely get last :)... How can a turn around work with butterfly?

Any website based videos?

Note, I am doing this just for fun, I might very well end up getting last in every event I enter.

Donna
November 27th, 2005, 08:33 PM
If you go to the following web page there are several videos, one is for the butterfly and there is also one for the flip turn http://www.savannahmasters.com/videopage.htm
Hope this is helpful. Good Luck in your first meet! Enjoy the experience.

A.K.
November 27th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Somebody on this forums had posted this site before for swim technique pictures and video.

http://swim.ee/videos/index_example.html

As far as the turns..... go for it!

I contemplated on whether I should push off or try a start for the back stroke. ( The rules had changed where you can't put your toes in the gutter or above the surface since I last swam 2 decades ago) It went as well as I expected- a belly flop on my back:) I was glad I tried-it gave me a chance to get practice in the meet.

But if you don't try it you won't learn, especially at meets.

Take your time and make sure you don't plant your feet/legs sideways- this would create the issue of shooting off toward the left or right and not straight.

"Feel free to ask a referee or official regarding anything you are unclear on, they are usually eager to help. Just be sure you ask them during a break from running events."

I did this at my first meet 3 weeks ago and everyone was very helpful, if you have a question they are the ones to consult.

MikeB
November 28th, 2005, 10:49 AM
I'll tell you one thing...I had brain surgery 2 or 3 years ago, that left me deaf in one ear and without vestibular function on one side (vestibular is balance related)

As a result, I can only breathe on one side without getting disoriented, and flip turns are basically out of the question.

With enough practice, I honestly believe that my grab turns are virtually as fast as my flips were, and I get the benefit of a good breath each turn, which I can then turn into half a length of hard swimming with no breaths.

the main drawback is that you have to time it perfectly so you can swim hard all the way into the wall and ideally grab with your dominant arm to get the quickest turn, wheras with the flip your timing is a little less crucial.

Ed disclaimer: This is all just based on my own opinions when working out, I haven;t tried it out in a meet or under a timer yet...

nkace
November 28th, 2005, 11:29 AM
I am also doing my 1st MSC meet this weekend as well. I am really bad at flip turns & definitely working on it. It's all you can do, try & try until you have it down to a science. I know I am going to keep practicing & hope for the best.

Guvnah
November 28th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by MikeB
I'll tell you one thing...I had brain surgery 2 or 3 years ago, that left me deaf in one ear and without vestibular function on one side (vestibular is balance related)

As a result, I can only breathe on one side without getting disoriented, and flip turns are basically out of the question.

With enough practice, I honestly believe that my grab turns are virtually as fast as my flips were, and I get the benefit of a good breath each turn, which I can then turn into half a length of hard swimming with no breaths.

the main drawback is that you have to time it perfectly so you can swim hard all the way into the wall and ideally grab with your dominant arm to get the quickest turn, wheras with the flip your timing is a little less crucial.

Ed disclaimer: This is all just based on my own opinions when working out, I haven;t tried it out in a meet or under a timer yet...

By and large, a really efficient open turn can be as fast as most run-of-the-mill flip turns. You'll just lose time to the competitors who really have their flip turns nailed cold.

The biggest advantage (in my opinion) to a flip turn is that you don't have to swim all the way to the wall. With the open turn you have to swim so that your hand touches the wall. On the flip turn (a GOOD flip turn!) you get to turn several feet short of the wall. (And the better the flip turn, the farther out you can start the flip.)

You're right about the extra breath. That can be a big deal especially on longer races depending on your conditioning. And in my experience, I get a more powerful push off the wall from an open turn. (On an open turn I get the full bend of my knees, whereas on a flip turn the power surge is limited more to my calf, ankle and foot.) But even with those advantages to an open turn, I still find that I do better times with a flip turn

lexington476
November 30th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Great, thanks for the infomation and video links.