PDA

View Full Version : Fina Worlds

Xenadiva
November 29th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Any one thinking about the Worlds yet?

michaelmoore
December 3rd, 2005, 01:40 PM
I think about it every day.

And most of the people on the organizing committee do also. And I am glad you are also.

michael
Michael Moore
XI FINA World Masters Championshiops
Stanford, California
USA

Xenadiva
December 3rd, 2005, 01:52 PM
Any insider news?

swimlong
December 4th, 2005, 03:05 AM
sorry to be stunned...

...when? where? qualifying times or anyone can swim?

Fritz
December 4th, 2005, 08:44 AM
http://www.2006finamasters.org/

Maybe this should be displayed on the usms home page? It's not hard to find, but maybe we should consider making it easier to find? Just a suggestion.

jonblank
December 9th, 2005, 10:06 AM
I've stamped the website address in reverse lettering on my forehead. That way, when I look in the mirror each morning, I remember what my goals are...

Alex
December 9th, 2005, 04:41 PM
I was thinking to stay on the Embassy Suites (one room) as I am taking my wife, my two kids and my parents (I am the only swimmer) as part of our vacations, we are driving all the way from Mexico City, but it seems that the Hotel is a little far from the Avery Acuatic Center.

Any suggestions...:)

Alex

Xenadiva
December 9th, 2005, 04:49 PM
I personally can't afford any of the Hotels on the list they have on the site even with the "special rates". I need a hotel between 40 to 60 dollars a night since I'm traveling on my own and I plan to stay out there for about 10 days.

So, I ordered my travel guides from AAA and the hotel search begins.

Paul Smith
December 9th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Orbitz is always a great place to start a search for a hotel......but be sure to contact the hotel directly and ask if they can better the rate you found on the internet (works 75% of the time)!

michaelmoore
December 9th, 2005, 06:08 PM
If you see an Internet price that is lower than what is being offered by the Organizing Committee, please let me know as the committee is supposed to have the lowest price generally available.

michael

Xenadiva
December 9th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Is that for any hotel? Or just the hotels listed on the site?

Also where do I get the printed registration book?

michaelmoore
December 9th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Just the hotels on the site, where we have blocked hotel rooms.

For a hard copy of meet book, send and email to questions@2006finamasters.org

We would hope that you get the book from the web site though, it costs about $3.00 to mail it out.

A book is being sent to each LMSC chairman and will be available at certain USMS meets.

michael

Xenadiva
December 10th, 2005, 02:19 PM
This is why I'm confused. I've been looking for the "book" on the site and can't find it. I'm assuming it's not there. How do I get the book from the site? I would like to see this information. If I can't get it from the web by all means mail it to me......but I've been trying to find it on the web.

Sabretooth Tiger
December 10th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Here's the book as posted on another thread. It's there, I've read it and have marked it as a favorite:

http://www.2006finamasters.org/documents/meetbook112005.pdf

Xenadiva
December 10th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Thank you so much!

michaelmoore
December 12th, 2005, 12:27 AM
If you go to

http://www.2006finamasters.org/documents/meetbook120805.pdf

it is a faster download (about 1.2MB versus 8.2MB)

michael

Xenadiva
December 12th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the link :)

SCAQ Member
December 14th, 2005, 01:01 AM
I want to register for FINA Worlds at Stanford in January but I only have two qualifying times for the 50, and the 100 LCM. How can I get a 200 QT when there won't be any long course events this winter in So Cal?

Ideas, sugestions, insults?

Sabretooth Tiger
December 14th, 2005, 10:47 AM
As Michael Moore has pointed out, you may convert SCM or SCY yards to an LCM time using available conversion forumulas available on the web (Michael, do you have a link?).

knelson
December 14th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by SCAQ Member
Ideas, sugestions, insults?

I suggest it doesn't matter. Just make up a time you think you'll be able to swim (or convert a short course time). Even if you have made the cut in the past, unless you're faster than the cut at the meet your swim will be recorded as "NT."

SCAQ Member
December 14th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Thanks everyone but here is the deal. I have genuine qual times from Masters Nationals in the 50 and 100 LCM. My 200 LCM is a couple seconds shy or about 2 or 4 seconds slow. (Yes, I know FINA is generous with it's QTs but I am not a 200 swimmer.) I would like to legitimately qualify.

So, I don't want to fudge and I want to be honest. if I compete in a SCY meet and convert it to LCMs that is considered acceptable documentation? I wish they had this kind of info at their website.

tony

Edward The Head
December 14th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by SCAQ Member

So, I don't want to fudge and I want to be honest. if I compete in a SCY meet and convert it to LCMs that is considered acceptable documentation? I wish they had this kind of info at their website.

You don't need documentation at all. When I swam in Italy last year I was very close on a number of the swims, I waited until a couple of weeks before to see how well I had done in other meets and just picked a couple I thought I could make. I ended up getting an NT in the 400 IM because I was a couple of seconds off.

I wouldn't worry about it at all, you know that you can do the 50 and 100, I can't, and if you think you want to do the 200 then either wait until a couple of weeks before the deadline to sign up or just sign up and go for it.

The nice thing about worlds is that there is someone next to you that should be close to the time you put down. I know this helped me on the 200 and 400 free since I had someone else to swim with.

Allen Stark
December 14th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Go to swiminfo.com. They have a conversion system at their site.

MPohlmann
December 26th, 2005, 10:15 PM
For those of you who rarely swim long course meters, attached is a table with the FINA Worlds long course meters qualifying times converted to short course yards.

This will allow those of you who are more familiar with SCY to have a feeling for what the LCM time standards are.

Times submitted on the FINA Worlds entry form should be long course meters times (or best estimate of meters times), not yard times.

You can also use the Time Conversion Utility available at the Swimming World Magazine's site (http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/results/conversions.asp)

Allen Stark
January 18th, 2006, 07:33 PM
The FINA rules for breaststroke kick in butterfly are less restrictive than USMS rules(USMS says 1 kick per pull max. FINA doesn't.) I assume FINA rules will prevail,but what does this do to any USMS records,or for that matter top ten? If it's not judged by USMS rules how can we know it is a USMS legal swim,or will anyone care? This is not a matter of merely academic interest to me as my whipkick is the best part of my 200 fly(OK it's the only thing good about my 200 fly) and I want to use it as much as possible without cheating. Doing 3-4 whipkicks off the walls each turn would be much faster for me than dolphin kicking,this would be FINA legal as I read the rules,but would it be fair per USMS.

Peter Cruise
January 18th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Allen- you're going to be in fine shape however they read the rules...

Jeff Commings
January 19th, 2006, 11:54 AM
[Post deleted]

LindsayNB
January 19th, 2006, 12:38 PM
I think he was referring to the FINA Masters rules:

MSW 3.10 A breaststroke kicking movement is permitted for butterfly

Allen Stark
January 19th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Yes,I feel I am clear on the breaststroke rules(where FINA and USMS match.) It is Fly where there seems to be a discrepancy.

Frank Thompson
January 19th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Allen:

Have you ever done 3 whip kicks off the walls? And if you have has an official questioned you about it being legal? The only reason I ask is that I have not seen to many people swim the fly like this except people that learned to swim it that way back before 1956. Usually they are older and do not have the capacity to stay under water long enough to do 3 kicks and have the energy to finish strongly in the 200 Fly. Sometimes its confusing because most of the officials that work the USMS meets come from USA or some other governing body that does not allow the wip kick in fly and they don't know to call it because they figure, hey they are allowing in 3 dolphin kicks off the wall and that kick is so much faster, why would I DQ someone for doing the slower whip kick with no competitive advantage. I beleive FINA officials will be working the meet so I believe you are ok. However if you have never been called on this and still feel risky ask the officials working the meet. You should do a 200 Fly at a low key local meet and see if they say anything. If not then ask the official to watch you to make sure. I hope this helps.

Xenadiva
January 20th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Help me out here.....

What's a "whip kick"?

Xenadiva
January 20th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Jeff has posted the following:

FINA SWIMMING RULES 2005 - 2009

SW 7 BREASTSTROKE
SW 7.4 During each complete cycle, some part of the swimmer's head shall break the surface of the water. After the start and after each turn, the swimmer may take one arm stroke completely back to the legs. The head must break the surface of the water before the hands turn inward at the widest part of the second stroke. A single downward dolphin kick followed by a breaststroke kick is permitted while wholly submerged. Following which, all movements of the legs shall be simultaneous and in the same horizontal plane without alternating movement.

When they say "cycle" do they mean for the whole lap or one pull, kick and breath? Does the swimmer's head have to break the surface of the water? I thought that was out......

LindsayNB
January 20th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Xenadiva
Jeff has posted the following:

FINA SWIMMING RULES 2005 - 2009

SW 7 BREASTSTROKE
SW 7.4 During each complete cycle, some part of the swimmer's head shall break the surface of the water. ...

When they say "cycle" do they mean for the whole lap or one pull, kick and breath? Does the swimmer's head have to break the surface of the water? I thought that was out......

They mean one stroke cycle. All the strokes (including freestyle) rule out underwater swimming, with various exceptions for starts, turns, and finishes.