PDA

View Full Version : Heart Rate Monitor Problems

MichiganHusker
November 30th, 2005, 01:55 PM
I like to swim w/ a heart rate monitor. I have a Polar that is "water resistant." Lately I've noticed that it is not working 100%. It keeps time perfectly, but my heart rate does not always register properly. If I shake my arm where the watch part is, it will start working again so I'm thinking maybe it is not meant to be in the pool.

Does anyone know what exactly water resistant v. water proof means?

Does anyone else swim with a heart rate monitor? Any problems? Solutions?

Thanks!

nkfrench
November 30th, 2005, 04:08 PM
You have to look at the fine print package instructions. Water resistant can mean that it's OK to get caught in a rainstorm but you shouldn't submerge it. Water proof will usually have a depth limit.

I bought a cheap imported watch where the directions said that the ladies watch models were waterproof to a depth of _ _ _, which they said was suitable for bathing, childcare, laundry and washing dishes. Their men's model was rated for the same depth, suitable for showering, sports, washing cars. Hrrummph!!

Another watch said it was OK to 3 meters (or something like it) but it flooded out fast and ruined just doing a Masters workout of surface swimming incl flipturns.

I used to have a Polar HR monitor that did just fine in the pool until I took off the wristwatch and put it on the deck. Somebody stole it, thinking they just got a free cheap watch.

Kevin in MD
November 30th, 2005, 05:23 PM
If the reading is intermittent, it is usually the battery in the strap is running down or the strap is getting loose.

the polar watches are ok for swimming but they say not to push the buttons underwater.

MichiganHusker
November 30th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Ok, now I feel like a real idiot. Who would have thunk it was the battery!?! :p

Thanks!

Kevin in MD
November 30th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by MichiganHusker
Ok, now I feel like a real idiot. Who would have thunk it was the battery!?! :p

Thanks!

Mind you it's probably the battery in the strap, not the watch. The polar straps aren't user seruceable, in fact I think they aren't user serviceable at all. You send it in and if you need another they give you a 15 dollar credit.

You can find out all the scoop on service at www.polarusa.com

ALM
December 1st, 2005, 12:56 PM
I have two Polar heart monitors that I use for swimming. I have had the batteries replaced in each of them a couple of times.

There are two batteries involved: one in the receiver (the wristwatch) and one in the transmitter. To maintain the water-tight seal, it's best to send them to a Polar factory-authorized service center.

I have sent mine to:

www.chponline.com
CREATIVE HEALTH PRODUCTS, INC
5148 Saddle Ridge Road
Plymouth, MI 48170
800-742-4478
or 734-996-5900
e-mail: sales@chponline.com

They change the batteries, test the seal, and calibrate the unit. I've received very good service from them. They also sell a lot of other fitness-related products - check out their web site.

Anna Lea

MichiganHusker
December 1st, 2005, 12:59 PM
Thanks so much Anna! That is great information to have.

And who says Jayhawks and Huskers can't be friends?!?