PDA

View Full Version : Fig Newtons.

hmlee
November 30th, 2005, 09:58 PM
A rather random poll. Do you like fig newtons?

I'm sitting in my dorm room...being a hermit. It's the week before finals here and somehow I'm convinced that if I pretend I don't have a 12 page paper, german final, econ final, and a 7 page paper that it will all just go away... I've spent the entire afternoon (except for a break for my injury rehab) watching old episodes of the show Alias and periodically snacking on diet coke and fig newtons.

Then I got to wondering.

Why do I like fig newtons?

I mean it's a fruit cookie. A fruit cookie. That's just weird. If someone offered me a cookie and said it's made out of figs...I wouldn't eat it. I'd be like....figs? Eh...no thanks give me chocolate. But fig newtons...so good....

Alright. So the poll is. Do you like fig newtons?

And...as an added question...what's your favorite guilty snack food that you know you should eat but do it anyway?

A.K.
November 30th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by hmlee

And...as an added question...what's your favorite guilty snack food that you know you should eat but do it anyway?

Guilty snack?

I don't feel guilty after snacking, quite the reverse.

Bring on the Butterfingers crisp !!

hmlee
November 30th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Hehe...well I definitely think while I'm eating the fig newtons "Man...this is going to add a second or two..."

Seagurl51
November 30th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Hahahaha...hmlee you're fabulous!

dorothyrde
December 1st, 2005, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by hmlee

I'm sitting in my dorm room...being a hermit. It's the week before finals here and somehow I'm convinced that if I pretend I don't have a 12 page paper, german final, econ final, and a 7 page paper that it will all just go away... I've spent the entire afternoon (except for a break for my injury rehab) watching old episodes of the show Alias and periodically snacking on diet coke and fig newtons.

Then I got to wondering.

Why do I like fig newtons?

I mean it's a fruit cookie. A fruit cookie. That's just weird. If someone offered me a cookie and said it's made out of figs...I wouldn't eat it. I'd be like....figs? Eh...no thanks give me chocolate. But fig newtons...so good....

Ahhh, but you could have a big billing canceling that needs to be fixed ASAP, three work-orders the customer wanted yesterday, and being constantly buried with no end in sight!!!! :)

I like fig newtons too, and they are actually better for you than a lot of snacks, although probably not snacking all day! Fairly certain I did not gain weight eating fig newtons though, ha!

Good luck on your finals, you will survive, we always do!

craiglll@yahoo.com
December 1st, 2005, 12:10 PM
Some animal crackers havve no fat inthem but are very tasty. I cna eat a whole bag of them

MichiganHusker
December 1st, 2005, 12:56 PM
Good luck on your finals Hilary!

In undergrad I loved corn nuts when I studied. The only problem is they are really loud to eat and because they are so crunchy they make your eyes jump up and down when you chew so you can't concentrate on what you are reading.

newmastersswimmer
December 1st, 2005, 01:39 PM
Don't feel bad Hmlee....Some of us have to make and grade final exams....which is almost as bad as taking them.

I have been getting into hot and spicey pork rinds lately......lots of calories unfortunately but not a lot of carbs (and a decent amount of protien).

Newmastersswimmer

MichiganHusker
December 1st, 2005, 02:06 PM
QUOTE]hot and spicey pork rinds [/QUOTE]

Speaking of southern cuisine.... What about boiled peanuts?

My brother always loved to eat moon pies & RC cola.

Seagurl51
December 1st, 2005, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by newmastersswimmer
Some of us have to make and grade final exams....which is almost as bad as taking them.

Newmastersswimmer

No it's not. ;) You get to pick problems out of a book that has the answers in the back. We actually have to do the work.:p

Candy bars and cake are my fav guilty snacks....and Starbucks hot chocolate. I swear they put crack or something in it, soooo addicting!

Gil
December 1st, 2005, 05:03 PM
you can google fig newtons and find sites that sell the most delicious fig newtons in the world!!

Swimmy
December 1st, 2005, 07:08 PM
Fig Newtons are great, but I can't stand the new apple,strawberry... Newtons that they make now. It is FIG Newtons or nothing! Anyone else try the new flavors of Newtons? Like them?
Swimmy:)

dorothyrde
December 2nd, 2005, 04:06 PM
I like the strawberry-yogurt ones, they are yummy. If I buy them, I hardly get any because my 17 year old hollow legged son always snarfs them up.

MikeB
December 3rd, 2005, 06:39 PM
Of course we all love Fig Newtons! What a noble fruit! With such a storied past!

I encourage all fig doubters to visit THE HISTORY OF THE FIG (http://www.meccagold.com/history.htm)

Yet, there are some pigheaded holdouts who contend that the wholesome and decent Fig is not so innocent - indeed, there are those that would argue that the Fig is even an abomination! At your own risk, visit GOD HATES FIGS (http://www.godhatesfigs.com/)

But don't believe 'em, we know that nothin' beats some ground fig wrapped in a soft cookie shell.

craiglll@yahoo.com
December 5th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by dorothyrde
I like the strawberry-yogurt ones, they are yummy. If I buy them, I hardly get any because my 17 year old hollow legged son always snarfs them up.

Dorothy,

i have a really good friend who lives in Quincy, IL. He says that he can tellif he is under stress at a time because when he goes to the grocercy store, he eats his strawberry - yogurt fig newtons before he gets through the checkout line.

dorothyrde
December 5th, 2005, 06:15 PM
LOL Craig, that must be a bad day.

dvarner
December 23rd, 2005, 06:10 PM
Many years ago, when PowerBars were becoming a hyped-up item, Bicycling Mag did a nutritional comparison of them with Fig Newtons and, if I remember vaguely enough, Fig Newtons got you 90% of the way there at a fraction of the cost.

But probably not if you eat the whole stack in 15 minutes or less.

DV

Tom Ellison
December 23rd, 2005, 08:28 PM
40 to 50 years ago at swim meets we ate them.....Fig Newtons RULE....! So do Mooses......

MichiganHusker
December 28th, 2005, 12:16 PM
A few days ago, I found myself singing the Fig Newton song, but couldn't remember all the words....

Ooey gooey rich and chewy inside.....something something something on the outside. Put the inside something outside.....something something something something .... its a big Fig Newton! One more time now, a big Fig Newton!!!!!!

Or something like that. Anyone?

MikeB
December 28th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Ooey, gooey, rich and chewy inside,
Golden flaky, tender caky outside,
Wrap the inside in the outside, is it good?
Darn Tootin' It's a Big Fig Newton!