PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Think About While Swimming?

Dolphin 2
December 7th, 2005, 12:36 PM
For me, swimming is also a very intellectually stimulating activity. I work in the science and engineering field and I do some of my best thinking while lap swimming.

I also read that the Japanese are also very aquaphilic personalities and some of their engineers have come up with their best ideas while in the hot tub or in the pool.

Swimming provides such a great natuaral "high" and it really sharpens your mind. ;)

newmastersswimmer
December 7th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Please see thread topic titled "Sex Before Competition".

Newmastersswimmer

Seagurl51
December 7th, 2005, 01:15 PM
I always get random thoughts running through my mind. The other day I was wondering what was going to happen in Harry Potter #7. And today I was singing Tom Petty songs. Usually though, I sing. Maybe that's why I lose count all the time........

Alex
December 7th, 2005, 02:02 PM
These are the thoughts I remember to have the most during competitions:

100.- Where is the wall?

400, 800.- This is lap number 1 or number 2?

1650 or more.- What am I doing here?:D

IndyGal
December 7th, 2005, 02:32 PM
I usually keep up a running mental commentary on my swim... things like "oh, I did NOT accelerate through that pull... better... hmnnn, ok... aaah, turn coming... drat, flipped too far out from the wall, I hope the lifeguard wasn't watching... are my hips rotating enough?... I don't think my hips are rotating enough... aaah, another turn... what lap is this?... oh no, I don't remember if that made 450 or 500..." :D

scyfreestyler
December 7th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by IndyGal
I usually keep up a running mental commentary on my swim... things like "oh, I did NOT accelerate through that pull... better... hmnnn, ok... aaah, turn coming... drat, flipped too far out from the wall, I hope the lifeguard wasn't watching... are my hips rotating enough?... I don't think my hips are rotating enough... aaah, another turn... what lap is this?... oh no, I don't remember if that made 450 or 500..." :D

I can relate to those thoughts.

geochuck
December 7th, 2005, 03:24 PM
I once asked a friend what do you think about when you are swimming, he said "you don't want to know".

DRBOB
December 7th, 2005, 06:30 PM
7,7,7,7, FLIP, oh she has nice legs, 9,9 opps 6,6,6, no maybe it is 9.

Fishgrrl
December 7th, 2005, 06:47 PM
My random thoughts:

damn, I hate IM sets....
ha ha ha ha...I'm faster than you today....neener neener neeeeener....
if I could just swim that last 50 a second or two faster than the first one I'm good...
those extra cocktails I had last night are killing me now....
I rock!
doesn't my lane mate know they have garlic breath?
I love it when I feel fast....
yea! timed set today!!
I can see RIGHT through her suit....
nice butt!....
wonder if he'd get mad at me if I told him that his elbows are dropping and that's why his freestyle is so slow....
wish my fly looked that effortless.....
hey! I'm actually negative splitting!
wish I had my water bottle right now...
I think I've gone to the 6th circle of lactic acid hell....
this hour has gone by so slow...
this hour has gone by so fast....
how did that piano get on my back...?

Seagurl51
December 7th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Kari darling! You're fabulous! Still planning on World's right?

...Other common thoughts....
That kid's like 12..it's not right that he's that fast, stupid super humans...
Hey..what's that lifeguard doing.......
I wonder how many tiles are in this pool....
I wonder what everybody else is thinking.....
What am I gonna eat for breakfast....
mmmmm, breakfast.......
OWW!! That was a mistake.....

hmlee
December 7th, 2005, 07:13 PM
In the tradition of the last posts....my thoughts today were:

"Hey...I pushed off at the same time as her...nifty

"1..2..3..4..5..6..7..8...9..10..11..12...okay...no w rotate!" (I was doing a side kicking set)

"Build me up...buttercup baby don't you let me down...and push me around and then worst of all...you never call baby...when you say you will..."

"There is water in my snorkel...aieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...I'm breathing oxygen through water! i'm a fish! no wait! i can't breath! must get to wall!"

"What does my coach think I am...a div 1 swimmer?"

"Damn...all the others finished already...I really want to get out and go study for my finals..."

"Hey..wait...is that...are my coaches leaving practice too?? Not fair! Okay I'm getting out now."

Fishgrrl
December 7th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Hey Kyra!!!!

no - you're fabulous..... ;)

other random thoughts:

sometimes I pretend I'm in the last heat of the 1650 (or 1500) and I hear the bell ringing over my lane, which means that I'm in first place and I only have 50 or 100 to go.....

IMsRock
December 7th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Lately the syncronized swimming team has been practicing while I am doing my workout. They are playing "La Bamba" over and over and over on the underwater speaker...........thinking is impossible at this time

BORN2BNH2O
December 8th, 2005, 05:18 PM
This is what I think about.........
-Ya know...what do I think about?? I want to reply to that thread that asks "What do you think about when you swim?"

-Our asst. coach announces the set like an announcer at Sea World. Annoying.

-WOW our head coach is sexy! focus focus. keep it to yourself and maintain. Try not to regress to being 12 yrs old.hehehehehe

-I really need to work on my breath control.

-Work on and off the walls.

Grunion
December 16th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Oh MY God!! So you people have voices in your head also!!
I thought I was the only one.

F'ueco
December 16th, 2005, 07:50 PM
During short races, not much goes through my head aside from thinking about pulling hard and embracing the suffering.

During longer races, I hear songs in my head. For that reason, I always listen to good music before my races. That way, I can avoid singing La Bamba to myself for two miles. :)

When I work out, I picture faces and have imaginary conversations with them. ;)

A.K.
December 19th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Free - Nice push off- oops the fingers were not together/ hey was that a large spider hanging out in the lane rope? New pool-Flip-turn- damn they put slick tile in the middle of the wall - flip to the right or left.

Backstroke, hey there is a deflated balloon left in the rafters- keep your head back- dig dig ... wonder if that solid feeling item that just passed over my head was that spider I saw earlier. Here comes the wall, arch and stick the finish...........

Alex
December 20th, 2005, 04:34 PM
I also used to think that I was the onlyone in the Universe, everybody else were part of my imagination and if I died everyone else would stop existing as well, but now that I have children I do not think on that anymore...........But why would everyone else still exist without me????,... I mean what for? :confused:

Originally posted by Grunion

N1ghteyes_13
December 20th, 2005, 05:49 PM
How do they swim so slow, it must be natual talent or something.

I'm slow... Whys everyone else slower???

ooo final someone's faster than me. whats he/she doing that i'm not. o. lets race them....

the pools hot today.

i need a pea... how can anyone pea in the pool it's just gross...

i like backstoke.... i hate backstoke how are you suposed to know were the wall is...

my crawl is soooo slow, my breaststroke is as fast as it, thats not right..

ooo lets have a go of fly... that didn't go so well...

shes hot...

how do people swim with there head above water...

get it right this time and don't forget to breath... god this is hard breath. yeah thats better.. is it possible to grow gills like that guy in water world, that was a cool film...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Grunion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PoulsboH20
December 23rd, 2005, 09:57 PM
Think?

MW_swimmer06
December 29th, 2005, 06:13 PM
My thoughts exactly:
"I hope that girl with the nice butt came like i asked"
"Is that my mom screaming like that? Yup."
"Oh man<is that my girlfriend talikng to the girl with the nice butt?"
"Uh oh, i gotta pee."
"I don't think lactose intolerance & large milkshakes mix."
"If I win i'm gonna get some sex,better start kickin'."