PDA

View Full Version : Swimming with Fists

MichiganHusker
December 7th, 2005, 10:10 PM
I see this drill sometimes and I'm not clear on why it is a good drill. I feel like a total retard when I'm doing the drill.

Does anyone know why this drill is used?

Opinions on the drill? Helpful? Stupid?

Bob McAdams
December 7th, 2005, 10:27 PM
The purpose is to teach you to grab onto the water with more than just your hands. By clinching your hands into fists, you make it impossible to use them to grab onto the water, forcing you to learn to use the rest of your arms. When you return to swimming with unclinched fists, you end up grabbing onto the water with both your hands and your arms, thereby minimizing slippage.

Bob

GoRedFoxes
December 8th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Huskies,
I think it's a fine DRILL to swim close fists. I remember doing these when I was a kid, long before TI came out with their glove. As Bob pointed out, the pull is done with the entire arm (well, elbow down) and not only the hands. The closed fist drill will let you know pretty quickly if you're hands are leading or following your elbows. If your hands are direcly below your elbows, you will get the most out of your forearm. Quite honestly, I would like to see a forearm paddle developed for this purpose. I am a believer in resistance training, such as Fins and paddles.

aquageek
December 8th, 2005, 09:06 AM
It also encourages better body roll.

craiglll@yahoo.com
December 9th, 2005, 03:42 PM
I was once asked if I swim with my fists closed because I'm anry. I slapped the ole lady who ased and told her it was none of her business.

Sabretooth Tiger
December 9th, 2005, 04:47 PM
"It encourages better body roll" . . .

Damn, and I started swimming to get rid of my body rolls . . .

Ooops, I mean belly rolls . . .

nevermind

MichiganHusker
December 11th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by craiglll@yahoo.com
I was once asked if I swim with my fists closed because I'm angry. I slapped the ole lady who asked and told her it was none of her business.

Wonderfully witty!

craiglll@yahoo.com
December 12th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by craiglll@yahoo.com
I was once asked if I swim with my fists closed because I'm anry. I slapped the ole lady who ased and told her it was none of her business.

I'm such a bad typist. Angry should be the word. I wish the discussion forum had spell check!

MichiganHusker
December 12th, 2005, 12:23 PM
That's ok Craig, when I quoted it on my post I fixed it for you. :)

calguysd
December 14th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Tried this today for the first time. Good drill.