PDA

View Full Version : Ozonator pool disinfection

jswim
December 9th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Does anyone here swim in a pool with an ozonator or other Chlorine/bromine alternative? and if so, how do you like it?

pros cons?

I am trying to convince the YMCA I swim at (which is in the middle of re-doing much of the facility) to try an alternate disinfection system for their pool. I know it's a pipe dream, but I figured I'd try anyway so I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with these?

Thanks!
J.

dvarner
December 9th, 2005, 05:29 PM
I like it because it reduces the amount of chlorine/bromine needed for the pool, so the pool smells better, in my opinion, and there's less residual with your skin and hair later on. In large fitness centers you can usually tell if there's a pool just by opening the front door, this greatly reduces that effect.

On the other hand, if it's not set correctly it can cause some throat and breathing irritation.

Someone else could comment on whether it's hygenically advantageous or not. I also don't know if there's any long-term hazard associated with prolonged ozone exposure in these cases.

DV

craiglll@yahoo.com
December 10th, 2005, 11:26 AM
I've been told that ozonator is very bad for asthmatics. I don't know why nor did the person who told me. Maybe this is a swimmign urban legend.

aztimm
December 10th, 2005, 04:38 PM
I have an ozonator with my backyard pool. The pool was put in almost 5 years ago, so maybe technology has changed, but it works together with chlorine. I just don't need to put in as much chlorine, maybe 2 tablets a week in the peak summer season, when the water gets to 95. The ozone feeds into a build-in chlorine basket (next to the skimmer) and goes out in the water with the chlorine.

I also have asthma, and haven't noticed any differences in it using the ozonator. Could be that the pool is outside....

The ozonator was recommended due to the surface of the pool, it is called pebble tech, made up of tiny little pebbles, and it helps keep the calcium buildup in check a bit. I still have to drain the pool every 2 years, but every bit helps.

craiglll@yahoo.com
December 12th, 2005, 10:18 AM
I'm sitting here watching the snow. I can't imagine what it must be like to only have to drain a pool every two years!

jswim
December 12th, 2005, 11:55 AM
lol, yeah last week it got to 0 here! A bit too cold for outdoor swimming. ;)

Thanks for your replys!

Kevin in MD
December 12th, 2005, 04:59 PM
OK,

You're the engineer responsible for the new pool system.

The management has received compaints about the pool chemical levels. The combined chlorine is too high and it burns people's eyes and lungs to some degree. Now, using chlorine as a disinfectant is a well known technology in the US, there are certified pool operator courses that cover the methods and technologies, there are pool water consultants in every small city in america. There are three spearate organizations that will train people how to keep pool chemicals in balance.

In spite of all this, the management has received complaints about the pool chemical levels.

Your proposed solution is to go with another technology. The technology is new in the U.S. The design engineers almost certianly have less experience designing these pools than they do regular chlorine pools. The new pools will require materials changes, certified pool operator course do not cover it as deeply, and local pool consultants probably know very little of how to keep these chemicals running properly. The new system will cost more to install.

If you're the system engineer responsible for this and you pick an alternative method for disinfection, I'd say you should lose your license :-)

To my mind a pool with bad chemical management is exactly the wrong pool to put an alternative disinfection system in. The ones that are on top of it and keep it well under control are the ones that can use it.

The Y as a training problem, the operators don't know enough to keep it in control. A different technology won't imporve the lack of training.

I hope you get you rozonated pool, honestly I do. But you have a tough row to hoe.

jswim
December 13th, 2005, 10:25 AM
yes, I definitely realize this is a total shot in the dark, but my coach and the new aquatics director are certainly interested.

I'm just trying to do as much research and get as many opinions on it as I can. If it ends up becoming a reality, then so be it, I sure would love it, and I KNOW my skin would!

:)

aztimm
December 13th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Craig and Jeanette-- although the pool has water in it year-round, I'm certainly not using it now. The high temps in the Phoenix area have only been in the 60s lately, the water is probably in the 50s. Due to the pool's surface (pebble tech) they recommend keeping water in it. Our water prices are lower in winter than summer, and since it is far easier to balance the chemicals when the water is cooler, I usually drain/refill in January.

Also--you may want to contact some of the pool builders here in Arizona who use this technology, since it is used in a significant amount of new backyard pools. The latest trend here is to use salt water, which hardly requires any chlorine. My pool builder's name is Shasta...here is their homepage: http://www.shastapools.com/

jswim
December 13th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Great, thanks for the link!

50 degrees huh.. ok, a bit cold for swimming ;)